Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

OK, I know it's been a long winter, but it happens every year -0.1 degree rise in temp, bit of current bun and the 'beautiful people' are out in their sunglasses, shorts, and other SUMMER regalia! They're even standing in line outside the new ice cream gaff on the lane as i type. To**ers! Still, will laugh at them over the next few weeks shivering outside the pubs come 8pm! And then they will all be wearing their new winter collection in Aug no doubt.

Why can?t people follow the rules of the road, they are not that complicated?!! Nearly got hit by a car this morning reversing at about 20 mph the wrong way up a ONE WAY STREET. The clue is in the big sign at the beginning of the road, Muppet! Just because you?re lost/missed your turning, does not mean you simply reverse up it. I was looking the way the traffic was SUPPOSED to be coming from, like any sensible person would. I am a bit sensitive about this ? I got hit by a car reversing the wrong way up a road a few years ago, was rushed to hospital etc. Luckily I was OK, and now am paranoid so check every which way that traffic could be coming from before crossing any road. But this sort of disregard for other people?s safety makes me so angry.

YasminSalaya Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When people end their FB status with 'that is

> all'. Of course 'that is all' you've just finished

> your status!!

>

Who does that? I mean like really? Maybe it's your choice in friends ;-)

I found myself doing that recently, and asked myself the same question - I was walking on the residential roads near Abbeville Road in Clapham and basically the pavements were so narrow and the cars so tightly packed in and close to the kerb that the space left to walk was miniscule, meaning 2-way pedestrian traffic was impossible. So I kept crossing the road in an attempt to not have to keep stopping entirely to stand sideways and let other people squeeze by. And in the end I gave up doing that and just walked in the road.

I get total irrational rage when on a busy commuter train on a very hot day and no one opens any windows. It makes me so angry I want to go all Michael Douglas on them. They are so dead inside that they would rather sit in their own filth breathing in each other's sweaty, disgusting bodies than reach up and pull open the window. I just don't understand!! If its hot and stuffy, why wouldn't you open a window if you could!!!

Anyone else?

I get puzzled ( not so much an irrational rage) on a warm (hot even) day and I see people with thick coats on. Must have a completely different thermostat to me.

gillandjoe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I get total irrational rage when on a busy

> commuter train on a very hot day and no one opens

> any windows. It makes me so angry I want to go

> all Michael Douglas on them. They are so dead

> inside that they would rather sit in their own

> filth breathing in each other's sweaty, disgusting

> bodies than reach up and pull open the window. I

> just don't understand!! If its hot and stuffy,

> why wouldn't you open a window if you could!!!

> Anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Apple Mac:

Me: Shut down.

Computer: Ok. (shuts down instantly)

Windows Fu**ing 8:

Me: Go to bottom corner of screen to get out of desktop. Get to multi-coloured screen bit. Scroll to other side of screen. Click on user name. Given three choices one of which is sign out. Select that. Wait for screen to change to yet another system. Scroll to other end of screen again. Select user name again, another three choices one of which is......(drum roll) SHUT DOWN.

Oh and those little sliding door things on vacuum cleaner handles...wtf? Designed to make hoovering half as efficient and also spread most of what you've just picked up all over the room again. Genius.

Those drop down menus on websites to select your country. That require you to scroll all the way down past the Democratic of Congo, Ethiopia etc to get to United Kingdom.

Why not have it at the top as a default choice?

Aah a common software designer's dilemma, do the right thing or the pragmatic thing?

It kind of depends on the context of the website, but usually there is a demand that websites are geographically neutral, which makes sense in terms of the internet as global phenomenon philosphically.

So sometimes the pragmatic approach gets pooh-poohed by regulatory guidelines or idealists, software owners keeping in mind some hypothetical and misplaced future globalised sales, or all of the above.

You _can_ do some interpretation off the request object, ip lookups and so forth to go to a country on your list, but they're clumsy and unreliable and involve calling some sort of function which could annoy someoen on a slow connection even if ajaxy.

There's a halfway house approach that sort of has a popular list, say

US

UK

Germany

France

etc

-----------

everybody else

but this tends to alienate everyone who isn't where they perceive themselves to be, so alphabetical just ends up being the safe option.

If the site is quite clearly uk centric, then I say just have a damn text box to stipulate country if you aren't uk and don't cause the bother in the first place.