Rockells Place SE22 (Local history question.)

Vik

Morning all,

I'm hoping someone with some local history knowledge may be able to help me, I am researching my own and my husbands family tree, and have found that my hubands ancestors lived in Rockells Place in around 1911. I grew up on Forest Hill Road in the 80's so know Rockells Place, but I'm pretty sure the houses round there are quite new, does anyone have any recollection of what was there before or when the current houses were built?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Vicki

Vicki - this is the description from Booth's Poverty Map 1886 - 1903:

"Rockells Place, 8 2-storey houses on each side. Ends at cemetery wall. Footway paved and road made up. Cemetery mason, milkman and men employed in cemetery."?

He categorised the road as 'purple' which he describes as: Mixed. Some comfortable, some poor. (The colors for the London map went from Black - lowest class, semi criminal, to Yellow - upper middle class, wealthy)

Hope this helps!

That is extremely helpful, thank you so much! My hubands Great-grandfather was a gravedigger according to the census so ties in nicely, though how they fitted 2 adults and 7 children in there is another mystery!

Thanks for the link Louisa, will have a good look later!

Vicki

Vicki, I know what you mean, my grandmother was one of 14 and lived in a 3 room slum (I've seen the picture and there is no other way to describe it!) near Peckham High St. I can't imagine what daily life must have been like!