Monkey nuts and burgers!

phobic3000

Sometimes, when travelling on motorways McDonalds are all that is available. I once tried a Burger King instead and it was so vile, the burger was like shoe leather.

And a McDonald's breakfast McMuffin and a coffee isn't too bad at all.

I don't think I could tell the difference between McDonalds and Burger King.

I have tried both on the odd occasion and they are both dreadful.

They are supposed to be freshly cooked and the buns 'Toasted' but they are always soggy.

Wimpy used to be good.

DulwichFox

I think Wimpy on Rye Lane became a Starburger. Plate Knife and Fork.

There was also a Wimpy on Walworth Rd.

When myself and best mate were 18ish we used to 'go up West' to Oxford St. Wimpy and the Golden Egg

We thought we were the Bees Knees.

I suppose it would be fair to say the same today about youngsters going to Franco Manca.

Foxy

Yes foxy I suppose you have a point about today's youngsters. I know it's a cliche but I still feel it was better in my day. Going to the Wimpy bar for a treat. It all seemed so innocent back then. Also, much cheaper too.

Louisa.

I used to work for Wimpy. Probably prejudiced, but the food always seemed better quality than McDonalds and Burger King. They didn't stick gherkins in everything either (I loathe them).

Plus they let me use the ice cream machine to make such delights as the Brown Derby, Banana Long Boat and Knickerbocker Glory which was good fun.

Paid lousy rates though - worked there between school and college and after a few months at college got to know a guy who worked at the Homebase round the corner and discovered he was being paid over double the hourly rate that I was, so I changed jobs pretty quick.

Not convinced the food there was that cheap - a children's meal cost ?1.99 in 1989 which given a McDonald's Happy Meal is now ?2:49 I reckon that's proportionally cheaper (though probably worse quality)

GBK Hardly Hipster ... & you can't move in the west end for five guys, its like an EDs diner on acid ..GBK, I tried it once when it first opened here,(and just the once) just a bun so overfilled with mayonnaise, the meat part shoots across the room like a bar of soap ...both chains ...couldn't imagine someone of the beardy-sleeve clan stepping foot inside either tbh (unless they start selling vinyl)

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wimpy on Beckenham High Street.

Honestly, is that a real Wimpy?

NOTHING like the great place I skived school in back in the 70's

It smells appalling, tho I took my teenage son there for 'aversion therapy' which worked a treat

Beckenham is odd

Loved the wimpy as a kid ...used to go one in the town I grew up in with my Dad and sister on a friday during the late 70s early 80s.. the silver lining to divorced parents scenario (also a place called the golden egg, you know for a change) Loved the round frankfurter with I think a tomato in the middle. I never liked them when they went all McDonalds for a while and did away with table service and made you Que.. I think they went back to the old way after. not been in one for years though since.