The Bishop

RyeBoy

Evidently.. according to reasonably reliable source...

The original plan to "Make to bar shorter and change the back panel to increase circulation ??"

as advertised will not go ahead.

The place is to be a Palmerston style 'Gastro' Pub / Restaurant serving cocktails.

Supposedly ?250,000 is to be spent. Which does not seem a lot for any major alterations to a place of that size.

Lets wait and see.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The place is to be a Palmerston style 'Gastro'

> Pub / Restaurant serving cocktails.

Oh great.

Bring back The Foresters, that's what I say :))

Jeremy Wrote:

> The Foresters is one place I definitely don't

> miss. It was a real dump.

>

> Even though you could get scampi & chips with a

> pint of Fosters for a fiver... once was enough.

I was joking :)

I also only went there once, "enjoying" a pint whilst breathing in the stench from the gents' toilet wafting across the room :))

I'm sort of barred from the Bishop but not exactly..

3 years ago ish they regularly ran out of beer.

They were empty and the barman was questioning why.. and I said .. well you keep running out of beer.

and a few more home truths at that time.. and I said the EDT is packed out.

... so he told me to sod off to EDT then which I did..

some time later the Manageress asked why I had not been in. I explained the situation and she said.

"You are not banned. You have always been welcome here and still are. BUT you need to decide.

You either drink here or drink up the road"

Free choice not an option then ??

I've never set foot since.

Foxy

KalamityKel Wrote:

> I think their point may have been you can't be in

> two places at the same time... no? ;-)

No.. it was a definite.. You either drink here or drink up the road ... Make your mind up..

Foxy

Peckhamrye Wrote:

> And you let them decide where you drink? How do

> they know if you go to the EDT too?

I tend to stick with one pub.. always have. At the time The Bishop was my regular pub.

But the place changed.. That was the point.. I told the then bar man now manager a few home truths.

I discovered the EDT was a nice pub and I've adopted it as my local. I do not want to drink in The Bishop.

Its my choice. Self imposed exile. There are a few others who have done the same.

Foxy..

They weren't Joking there was heated altercation in the first instance with the manageress

trying to calm the situation at the much later date. Then further altercation between the two staff members

in public view outside the Bishop.

It was 3 years ago.. I could of stayed and walked back in any time.. It's history now.

and with the place now closed for a refurb. the EDT is now burdened with the mob from up the road.

Drunken mob in last night.. Nightmare.. Gents was vandalised with chrome pipe work ripped off the wall.

Admittedly it could of been anyone.

Would not wish to cast Nasturtiums....

Foxy

Personally I'm pleased to see it getting a make over! Only been in a couple of times but it was looking pretty grotty plus the men's toilets were horrendous! Looking forward to seeing what they do with the place

jaf2210 Wrote:

> Personally I'm pleased to see it getting a make

> over! Only been in a couple of times but it was

> looking pretty grotty plus the men's toilets were

> horrendous!

Agree - all of that badly cut builder's grade ching had started to impregnate itself into cisterns, walls and floors....and it stank too.

The ladies are pretty bad too - doors not locking etc. Have to admit I spend much less time in the Bishop these days than when I first moved here, EDT usually my pub of choice now and I prefer the Great Exhibition to the Bishop too. Food is still pretty good in the Bishop though and the quiz is fun.

Be good if they could sort out the acoustics in the Bishop - even when the music isn't that loud it makes hearing anyone who isn't right next to you really hard, don't have the same issue in the EDT. Tends to mean we only go there in the evening after the EDT has closed (and I'd really rather slope off home by that time of night).

• 2 weeks later...

edcam Wrote:

> It was however a shithole.

Yes I realise that! Was being a bit sarcastic.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> The Bishop releases pictures of the recent make-over.

Looks a bit better than before. Less gaudy.

Archived