Closure of Melbourne Grove to through traffic - new petition

I am not aware of MG as an accident hotspot at all. It does seem an utter waste of resources.

To what extent is the path to be widened? By hook or by crook the aim is to close this road off to traffic and the latest excuse is that peopel with buggies cannot get by. I cannot help but note Councillor Barber's comment that any path widening is to aid people walking with buggies. There is no mention of the elderly or disabled. For me this indicates whose interests are paramount for our local rep. Survival of the fittest and loudest.

There are two trees that cause difficulty for buggies, wheelchairs, people pulling suitcases to the station etc. They are both on the same side of the road. It's really not that hard to cross the road if getting past is a problem for you.

Hi Abe-froeman,

Yes generally - but still a significant number speed.

The alternative to kerb buildouts was copping these mature trees down. We wanted to avoid this.

This stretch of road is the busiest section or road in SE22 without traffic effective traffic calming. Residents in lots of other roads have had this with less speeding and less volume of traffic.

Hi d.b.,

TO make such a crossing we'd need to put extra dropped kerbs. We'd need to ensure people didn't park in front of such dropped kerbs with double yellow lines. Same amount of parking would be lost and we'd inconvenience people walking along the road.

Hi first mate,

You've watched too many dodgy movies. No councillor is talking about closing this road. This idea was floated early on but we've all listened to resident feedback and it is not on the agenda.

I and 5 other councillors agreed we needed to respond to residents requests as we have for all other such roads in the area - and agreed to upgrade the poor out of date traffic calming. Not sure why we should penalise these residents for being on the last section of such road.

The next step is to find a way to clam the northern section of Melbourne Grove.

The northern section already is calm, thanks to parking both sides which does not allow two lanes of traffic to flow. Hence queues building up in EDG. It's hard to think that only recently this was a bus route with no complaints. Please don't spend any money on it.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Indeed. Just shows what noisy people can get.

> Ridiculous.

Tt may not have been clear, but this was my point (not that Melbourne Grove was a hotspot, quite the opposite). My hope is that in future, there will be a more strategic approach to prioritising road changes, which will target hotspots, rather than simply responding to 'he who shouts loudest'.

James Barber Wrote:

>

>

> Hi first mate,

> You've watched too many dodgy movies. No

> councillor is talking about closing this road.

> This idea was floated early on but we've all

> listened to resident feedback and it is not on the

> agenda.

> I and 5 other councillors agreed we needed to

> respond to residents requests as we have for all

> other such roads in the area - and agreed to

> upgrade the poor out of date traffic calming. Not

> sure why we should penalise these residents for

> being on the last section of such road.

>

> The next step is to find a way to clam the

> northern section of Melbourne Grove.

James, I'm slightly concerned that you would even pretend to know anything about my viewing habits...... Also, I don't know of any movies, dodgy or otherwise, that star a local councillor intent on closing a residential street.

James Barber Wrote:

> Then we need to sort out Melbourne Grove 9north)

> rush hour congestion.

Wait a minute, one minute you want to calm it, now you want to 'sort out' the congestion? Which one is it? This is a recipe for spending money on every road that doesn't have some notional ideal speed. Madness. Let's not spend the shrinking council cashpile on stuff that doesn't need doing.

• 4 months later...

So, it turns out these speed humps probably won't reduce the top speed of vehicles as they accelerate in between them but they will generate a lot more pollution in Melbourne Grove and it seems that such pollution causes a significant number of deaths.

Oh dear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/01/speed-bumps-could-removed-cut-traffic-pollution-save-lives/

"The Imperial study found that in one north London street with a speed limit of 20mph and fitted with road humps, a petrol driven car produced 64 per cent more Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) than in a similar 20mph street fitted with road cushions. It also produced 47 per cent more Particulate Matter (PM) and nearly 60 per cent more Carbon Monoxide (CO2) emissions."

They recommend average speed camera enforcement.

If that was a real option allowed by government regulations and the London Camera Partnership I'm sure those would be suggested instead.

Looking at the NICE evidence included as part of the NICE consultation no allowance for variations in legal frameworks appears to have been considered or crash stats impact.

• 3 years later...