Pussey Liquor bar new to the Lane

Isn't it funny Zebedee, that a remark that potentially slanders you as a sexual deviant evokes such a strong response....

Yet you are happy to draw that exact parallel to an independently run business, the owners of which might feel the same sting, especially when they are trying to earn a living. So no attempt at being funny, just a perfect opportunity to expose the hypocrisy of narrow minded use of a forum like this.

Give comparing it's service, once you're brave enough to try it, to another restaurant. Rather than shitting on it for frosted glass and memories of Lewisham sex shops.

This is all so funny!

If you aren't interested in going, why report back all the times when it is closed?

If you aren't interested in going, why complain that you can't see inside?

If you aren't interested in going, why care if the name is on the front or not?

If you aren't interested in going that doesn't mean in any way at all that nobody else wants to go through the door.

I'm only interested in the opinion of people who have actually been there so have something substantial to say.

Well done Pussey Liquor for generating conversation via a little controversy. This is a well known, tried and tested strategy to raise the profile of a restaurant or bar.....and is working a treat!

GO PUSSEY!

(and don't even get me started on the feminist issues inherent in this thread)

" Well done Pussey Liquor for generating conversation via a little controversy. This is a well known, tried and tested strategy to raise the profile of a restaurant or bar.....and is working a treat! "

All publicity is good publicity.

That old chestnut.

I'm interested in local restaurants, I want to support local businesses, I want to eat good food. Despite all of that I am very hesitant to go to Pussey Liquor. I think that's noteworthy. It may also help an owner understand their potential customers.

It could well be that PL is trying to put the likes of me off. But as a pop up visiting, food blogging, instagram addicted, free spending, ED Blow-In I kind of doubt it.

binkylilyput Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is all so funny!

If you aren't interested in going, why report back all the times when it is closed?

Who said I'm not interested in going?

If you aren't interested in going, why complainthat you can't see inside?

If I could see inside from outside I might think Mmmhm that looks nice. Must try it sometime.

If you aren't interested in going, why care if the name is on the front or not?

Well if I had a Business (and I once did) it's name would be above the door or on the window. (which it was)

(and don't even get me started on the feminist

issues inherent in this thread)

You don't need to be a Feminist for any woman to be offended...and also any man that has respect for women.

Which I do.

DulwichFox

MattC, I'm surprised that a person as erudite as you should have used the greengrocer's apostrophe in your last post. But perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned.

To return to the subject, please note what Baggs says (I couldn't have put it better myself):

"I'm interested in local restaurants, I want to support local businesses, I want to eat good food. Despite all of that I am very hesitant to go to Pussey Liquor. I think that's noteworthy. It may also help an owner understand their potential customers.

It could well be that PL is trying to put the likes of me off. But as a pop up visiting, food blogging, instagram addicted, free spending, ED @#$%& I kind of doubt it."

I'm not narrow minded, far from it. I don't know how old you are but I was reading avant garde literature and seeing 18 rated mainstream films (e.g. those made by the likes of Andy Warhol) possibly before you were born. But the PL "joke" is worthy of Bernard Manning and Roy "Chubby" Brown. Perhaps PL are trying to attract customers who think that those two comedians are funny. Perhaps YOU think that they are funny.

If you'd read my earlier post MattC it is quite clear it is not the name that puts me off. The name is part of a wider problem that includes the way they have printed their menus, the way that you can't see into the restaurant and the way that it is unclear what to expect when opening the door.

I'm pretty "well travelled" for someone interested in local restaurants. But not sure how you know how well travelled I am, or why it has anything to do with pusssssaaaayyy!

Yes correct your broad thinking stretches to digs about punctuation and using others statements to solidify your own weak knowledge of the actual subject. Again comparing restaurants in east Dulwich to Andy Warhol sort of misses the mark. TRY IT! Variety is the spice of life.

My poor grammar, punctuation and spelling are fit for this forum, your knowledge of Pussey liquor sadly isn't. So until you've tried it, why not look up some other easy targets to troll. Sure there must be plenty on here. Alternatively look to some other forums where someone is attempting to get a small business going and grace them with your well researched views and opinions.

Leave this thread to those with subject knowledge....

fair point baggs. Sticking to the theme of local places then, have you been any of the restaurants sporting names of their country of origin? If so do you google a translation to see if they pose a wider problem or just go with it?

I guess it's so its a bit of surprise, like a present that's wrapped up.

Not because its in some illegitimate or seedy.

As I've said a couple of times I can't believe that people would make a judgement on a restaurant, having never tried their food but because of trivial things like name, frosted glass or the font they chose to print their menus.

My first comment to you, MattC2885, is "OOOOOH!" (spoken in a high, camp Kenneth Williams type voice).

You use the word "troll" to describe my activity on EDF. I have visited this site for about eight years and I don't think that anyone else would describe me in this way. However "troll" would be more applicable to describe the tone that you have used in this thread to me and to others who have had the temerity to disagree with you.

If I had already thought about visiting PL, the fact that you have praised it to the skies would put me off, since clearly our general tastes, outlook on life and sense of humour are clearly miles apart.

I think the only way you see the point of what I'm trying to say is if it was unusually named restaurant. I'm saying don't talk ill of something you know nothing about, as appose to rave reviews.

As I have alluded to I make my own mind up about things, based on what I've found.... so your previous 8 stretch of being a forum legend is sort of irelevant. I've also only mirrored your sentiment back you and you jumped all over it - when it was only a line of conversation you'd opened. So if you're saying I've trolled you by speaking of you frequenting sex shops, it's only a reflection of your comment. The only personal jibes have actually been made by you regarding my poor writing skills.

I think realistically the thing we are furthest apart on is how to form an opinion on something. Mine is through some personal knowledge. Yours is clearly snap judgement and I'm happy to disagree about that.

If a restaurant opens and they call it yawn or stiff upper liquor, although the word stiff might scare I know, I'll be sure to see you there (coz id even try those ones).

It was not a reflection of my comment (whatever that's supposed to mean), it was a complete falsehood and a distortion of what I said. But let's face it, I could be accused of much worse things than frequenting a sex shop in my youth - such as admiring George Osborne.

You are obviously the type of person who thinks that you should try everything once except incest and folk dancing. Since you are almost certainly much younger than me and with a much more active social life, you probably want to visit every restaurant in the area. There are a number of restaurants in LL and the surrounding area that I haven't tried and would like to. However, PL is near the bottom, if not the bottom, of the list.

MattC2885 Wrote:

> fair point baggs. Sticking to the theme of local

> places then, have you been any of the restaurants

> sporting names of their country of origin? If so

> do you google a translation to see if they pose a

> wider problem or just go with it?

Of course. I refuse to go to Ganapati because I thoroughly disagree with Good Fortune of any kind. Il Mirto has never appealed to me because I am offended by the colour purple. Artusi, named after one of the pioneers of Italian cooking, is a stupid name for a place to eat Italian food. I can't find a translation for the word Begging Bowl in thai. Etc. Etc. Etc.

MattC2885 Wrote:

> I guess it's so its a bit of surprise, like a

> present that's wrapped up.

> Not because its in some illegitimate or seedy.

I don't tend to have to shell out ?40 for a lucky dip/present. I have never suggested that PL is illegitimate or seedy, merely that its frontage, name and menu do not encourage me to explore further.

MattC2885 Wrote:

> As I've said a couple of times I can't believe

> that people would make a judgement on a

> restaurant, having never tried their food but

> because of trivial things like name, frosted glass

> or the font they chose to print their menus.

I can't believe that you would be so short sighted to think that these things aren't part of the restaurant, and as important as getting the food right. If you are ever involved in starting a business I hope that you consider marketing and design in your plans because they really are important.

It is possible to smash it with pop-up restaurants in awkward locations - look at Forza Win - but it needs some clever thinking and a coherent story to attract the kind of leap-of-faith that you (or PL) are asking.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Fox - the current "residents" only operate from

> > Wednesay to Saturday which could explain it.

> >

> > http://www.smokeandsalt.com/

>

> Dinner

> Wednesday to Saturday, 1800h-2300h

>

> So why were they closed at 10.20 tonight... ?

>

> DulwichFox

Why the fuck does it matter to you? You seem to be so desperate for this business to fail that you can't help digging at every available opportunity. You are such a small minded, misanthropic, tedious know all.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Fox - the current "residents" only operate from

> > Wednesay to Saturday which could explain it.

> >

> > http://www.smokeandsalt.com/

>

> Dinner

> Wednesday to Saturday, 1800h-2300h

>

> So why were they closed at 10.20 tonight... ?

>

> DulwichFox

Sorry to disappoint, but they were actually open last night. I was there for dinner with a friend between 19:30 and 21:30. Another good meal and they had changed their cocktails since my last visit. It sounds as if the current chefs will be there until November.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Fox... they're a restaurant. If all diners last

> night had finished by 10:20pm, why not close up? I

> would.

Maybe.. I suspect it was long closed by 10.20pm

I don't go out till 9.00 - 9.30. to eat drink.. apart from Curry Club.

I thought it was also a cocktail bar. Closing at 10.00 ?

It is a very strange set up. Cannot fathom it out at all.

Foxy.

Fox - it is all a bit unorthodox I grant you. But nevertheless I like the concept and hope to try it at some point.

Matt C128 - think you're coming across a bit overly agressive here. If someone is put off by the branding/aesthetics of a restaurant, even without trying the food, then that's up to them isn't it? It may sound narrow minded to you, but that doesn't necessarily make them wrong and you right..

Archived