Travelling to and from Kingsdale School

Hi,

My son is currently in year 6 at Goodrich and going to Kingsdale in September 09. We have been thinking about the best way for him to travel there and back and would appreciate any advice. We live 3 min walking distance from Goodrich School, which will have about 30? children going to Kingsdale this year. So there will be a lot of children making the same journey.

I read on another thread a comment by "chrism":

> There was talk of asking TfL

> to increase the frequency of the P13, as so many

> more East Dulwich kids are coming to Kingsdale,

> and of organising a school bus, but not sure of

> progress on this.

Does anybody have more information on this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi my daughter will also be going to Kingsdale in September (along with 11 others from Fairlawn). I have seen Kingsdale children waiting at the 363 bus stop on Forest Hill Road - where do they get off? Do they go up to Crystal Palace and then walk down or swop buses near the Harvester. There doesn't seem to be any way of not having a long walk at the other end. I've heard the buses are very full in the mornings - at what time should she leave? Any advice gratefully received.

Hi!

The best way, which my son, ex Goodrich, currently year seven at Kingsdale, uses, is get the 363 from Forest hill Road Stop.

Then, get off either opposite the Dulwich Wood House, and descend Flash Hill, through Sydendam Hill Station, and then through the Kingswood Estate.

Or, get off the next stop opposite Rock Hill and descend through Kingswood Estate, takes about five to ten minutes.

He's come up with various other (sometimes convoluted ) bus routes, which today included coming home on the P4 and then the 176.

Early on he came back on the 3, changed at Crystal palace and then took the 363 from there.

The P13 does get crowded, and a lot of kids now cycle through Dulwich Park, which doesn't seem to take too long.

He's often home before my other two kids who are still at Goodrich!

Happy to answer any other Kingsdale related questions!

So glad to have read this post and and the advice given. I have a child starting at Kingsdale in September and was wondering how he would get to school.

At the meeting with the deputy head i did mention the overcrowding on the p13. Any alternative route is worth a mention and gratefully recieved.

At the open evening yesterday it was mentioned that they are looking into the possibility of arranging transport from certain areas eg Lewisham and East Dulwich.

Meanwhile, whenever I go there (I have a son in Yr 9 and another starting in Sept) I walk through the park. Takes me 30-40 mins from Friern Rd.

I went to the induction evening at Kingsdale yesterday and spoke to the Acting Deputy Headteacher, Mr Sear. He mentioned that he had seen this thread and had also had many parents contact him about the transport issue. He told me that over the summer he will write to us new parents to find out about the extend of the demand for a school bus. Then, once he has an idea of what would be required he will look into what the school could do (logistics, finances etc.). Although, he did stress that the school wouldn't be able to promise anything, I was pleased that he was taking the time to listen to us parents and planning to investigate the matter further. I will post updates when I know more.

Thanks for that information happyED. It is good to see that they are looking at the issue.

My main concern is that using the P13 wil be overcrowded and the driver may refuse to allow children on because of lack of space.

The problem would be worst in the morning when all the children leave at the same time to arrive on time for school. Kingsdale encourages after school activities so the school leaving time may well be staggered.

hi, I'm another in friern road who is worried that by the time the p13 gets to us it will be full! great that there are so many kids from the local schools going there tho!

I too am interested to see if the special buses idea takes off.

I too spoke to one of the Deputys at the open evening. She told me to give my child's name to a member of staff who was making a list. Three other parents put their name on it - we are all Catford/Brockley way though.

• 1 month later...

Just in case any Kingsdale parent hasn't had their letter yet...special transport has been arranged and incoming yr 7s are getting priority. There will be two routes- an ED one and a Lewisham one, taking in Nunhead as well..

Contact the school if you haven't received this info yet.

To add to Msgee's post above....

It is great that Kingsdale are planning to offer this service, but I think they need enough families to sign up and pay their deposits in order to go ahead with the scheme. So, please get your response back as soon as you can and encourage other Kingsdale parents to do so as well. We would be so disappointed if it didn't go ahead.

marcos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi!

>

> The best way, which my son, ex Goodrich, currently

> year seven at Kingsdale, uses, is get the 363 from

> Forest hill Road Stop.

> Then, get off either opposite the Dulwich Wood

> House, and descend Flash Hill, through Sydendam

> Hill Station, and then through the Kingswood

> Estate.

> Or, get off the next stop opposite Rock Hill and

> descend through Kingswood Estate, takes about five

> to ten minutes.

> He's come up with various other (sometimes

> convoluted ) bus routes, which today included

> coming home on the P4 and then the 176.

> Early on he came back on the 3, changed at Crystal

> palace and then took the 363 from there.

> The P13 does get crowded, and a lot of kids now

> cycle through Dulwich Park, which doesn't seem to

> take too long.

> He's often home before my other two kids who are

> still at Goodrich!

>

> Happy to answer any other Kingsdale related

> questions!

Hi Marcos

I know its been a long time but just wondering how you and your son have found Kingsdale since he has been going there. Pros and Cons? Also can I ask your opinion of Goodrich school as well. There are a lot of opinions running through the threads but always good to have first hand information.

Thanks

Inglesa68- my son is about to go into Year 8 at Kingsdale and I can honestly say that although we've found a lot of pros over the last year, I'm racking my brains for cons!

We have had a few problems- eg some what I would call low level general bullying of younger kids by older ones- mostly of the "giz your dinner money" type. The school dealt with this calmly and efficiently. He also had a homework wobble at one stage-ie stopped doing it- and again the members of staff involved dealt with it very well- they took a kind and sensitive approach and it worked.

Every time I go into Kingsdale I'm struck by the enthusiasm of the teachers and the kids. It seems like there's a massive will to succeed on both parts- without the pushiness I've seen in some other schools. The staff seem to motivate the kids really well. The "extras" like the music and sports are really excellent- specially if you get a scholarship.

My son says..."the PE department is probably the best one in the school the PE teachers dont push you too hard but they encourage you instead. The commute is really easy on the bus [from Nunhead] and will be even easier with the coaches. All the teachers are really friendly. It's very well organised like on parents evening and stuff. The building is excellent because it's modern and all shiny..Cons- the big kids sometimes aren't the nicest people. They give massive amounts of homework,however the homework is set to your ability.The school trips are quite expensive but it is definetely worth it."

Have to say as well that we had planned to move out of London at the end of year 8 but are staying mostly because of the school. It's fantastic.Too good an opportunity to pass on, I think.

Anyway will shut up now- don't want the school to get too mad popular cos I want my daughters to have a fighting chance of getting in in a few years' time ;-)

Hi Msgee,

great to read positive opinions about Kingsdale, my daughter will be starting in year 8 this september, we are moving back to London after a few years abroad. I was also really impressed by the staff and the music facilities when we went to visit, but i do have a constant worry about bullying issues - I am guessing these issues would be similar in any south london school - and I have nothing to go by apart from various youtube uploads ( which are not a pretty sight!).

I would appreciate any more comments or advice you might have for a new girl ( music scholar) starting at Kingsdale!

Msgee Wrote:

> Anyway will shut up now- don't want the school to

> get too mad popular cos I want my daughters to

> have a fighting chance of getting in in a few

> years' time ;-)

If Kingsdale get their Beacon status (the Gold standard) for maths, which they have applied for, I doubt anyone will get in without getting a scholarship!

nhewitt and curly- sorry only just stumbled on yr posts by chance!

re "bullying" at Kingsdale- we have only experienced what I'd call minor incidents- my son started at the same time as about 8 of his friends from primary, I'm in touch with most of the parents and nobody else has had any problems. Without going into too much detail (which may make my son identifiable!) he was taking what were, with hindsight, prob unnecessary risks with his school route...bigger kids got wise to this and were "asking" them for money (all their dinner money is on their fob, but some of them take sweet money in (which I think may well be against the rules)...anyway as I say the school dealt with this very very tactfully and effectively. Unlike other schools which are loth to admit they have any problems with bullying and are maybe a bit relutant to deal with incidents, Kingsdale are really "on it". Eg they have signs all over school prompting kids to share any problems they might be having, and as far as I know the Yr 7 staff are v aware and approachable...

As far as starting school goes- I know of one girl who was the only one from her primary going due to a last minute offer. By October I noticed her at an open evening with her arms round two friends. As far as my son is concerned (and he's not one of life's mad extroverts!) he's made loads of good new friends. Also the teachers have got him to do things he would never have dreamed of- eg getting on stage in the "pod"!

We just love it. To be honest the positivity and "good vibes" of the school are nearly overwhelming. And my son, in his last week of holiday isn't walking round with his customary face like a slapped arse...he's (quite!) looking forward to going back again next week.

I bet your daughter has a fantastic time. And the music scholarship, from what I know from other parents, is brilliant.

Good luck!

But I thought dinner money is on a pay card?? yes, there is a fob system for cashless catering which is also used for lockers etc. No reason for kids to carry money at all.

I doubt anyone will get in without getting a scholarship! no - 15% places are allocated to those with scholarships, but having one doesn't guarantee a place at the school (tho it might help if you don't get a place and need to appeal).

Core hours are 8.45-3.20 on Mondays and 3.05 the rest of the week, tho there are lots of after school activities and also Sat morning school.

Hope that helps ...

Debi Wrote:

>

> I doubt anyone will get in without getting a

> scholarship! no - 15% places are allocated to

> those with scholarships, but having one doesn't

> guarantee a place at the school (tho it might help

> if you don't get a place and need to appeal).

>

I was just joking...but they do seem to take in more children with scholarships than the 15% they quote.