Family friendly workplaces?

roic

In case you haven't already, it's worth thinking "outside the box". After years working as a PA for a senior guy in the City I got tired of the constant stress of getting home for pick ups etc. I've just started working in a school office and while it was a massive drop in salary I have zero Childcare stress, plus as I'm working school hours I have no Childcare costs. Also no train fare or expensive lunches! It's nice to have a change of scenery, learn new things and concentrate on work rather than panicking to leave the office to get the train home. Just a thought.....might be worth looking for something more local.

my sister took a part-time role very below her level in a company that she really liked. she explained at the interview that she had family responsibilities but wanted to work in an environment that was interesting and in her sector. it paid off, as now both kids are at school and she has worked her way back up to her level and beyond but continuing with a flexible schedule. it meant she had a few years biding her time, but then was in the right place when there were openings that were only advertised internally.

roic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks again for the further tips. I know there

> are some amazing pro-flex

> websites/recruiters/employers around. And thanks

> for all the amazing offers of help to put my CV

> forward to your own employers!

>

> I've actually just been offered a great role that

> is a promotion and offers flexible working so I am

> really pleased and can now say that in this

> instance my perserverence paid off.

>

> If anyone else is in a similar situation, I can

> recommend Capability Jane, Timewise jobs,

> workingmums- all places I've managed to

> sucessfully apply for genuine flex jobs and get

> through to interview stage with some really great

> companies.

>

> I also had a call with http://www.availexe.com/

> who have been in the press recently (I read about

> them in Goodhousekeeping!!) - really great

> business - linking up freelancers in HR,

> Marketing, IT, Finance - with smaller start-up

> businesses who want project work done from

> talented people, often from home.

>

> It is very hard for people who want to work

> flexibly so I wish anyone hoping to do the same

> the best of luck - hopefully in years to come

> we'll look back and wonder why employers made it

> so hard, and flex working will just be the norm...

Most of these sites seem to be aimed at the "women with children" market and that's fair enough given it's the biggest market for what they are doing. Does anyone know whether they are just as happy to have fathers/men register looking for flexible/part-time/home working?

I'm a communications/press/media professional and am considering how I could work more flexibly in both short and long-term so some of the ideas being discussed here really appeal.

Hi David - I absolutely think these websites welcome interest from men/Dads. I worked very closely with some of these organisations on promoting a flexible workforce in my last job, and I know that men are critical to their approach. It only strengthens the argument for agile working if it is not just a female issue but a male one too. Now more than ever before - with the government introducing shared parental leave this year - there is a more equitable dimension to the parent as "worker and carer" (whether they be female or male). There are several big city firms that are really promoting the flex working agenda to men as well as women.

Workingmums website for example states:

"While working mums are what we know about best, we hope that dads, carers and other flexible job seekers will also find the jobs and information on our website relevant and useful to them too. Workingmums.co.uk welcomes dads, carers and other flexible job seekers."

Good luck!!

DC - the time wise website mentioned above often has comms/PR type roles.

Also always worth asking if employers will consider flexible working, even if the role advertised is a full time post. I recently noticed an ad for a comms role at a local authority. I emailed asking if they would consider part-time and they said they have a flexible working policy and so they would (although a minimum of 30 hours which I can't commit to at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
I'm resurrecting this thread as the lovely company I work for (based near Kings Cross) now has a need for someone to help us on a part-time basis (30 hours per week). It's general office support for a small company (just over 30 employees) and we could accommodate someone who wants to spread the 30 hours flexibly to accommodate the school day. PM me if you are interested and I can send you more details.