Price of Honey

stringvest

Fashion it into a bit of honeycomb and ram it into a jar of honey...

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I only ever post about things I know about..

>

>

> I will store this brown nugget of dung and

> treasure it

Fox, I for one hope you continue to engage us all with your knowledge and selfless contributions on topics we otherwise would not be aware of. It's very easy to take the pee out of someone and accuse them of narcissism without actually engaging with them beyond endless and futile 'banter' aimed solely at mocking and scoffing the individual.

I think anyone in their right mind could see the point you were making from the start, and all this selective tampering with your key points are just pety and childish. Most people reading this thread will know who's talking bs and who isn't.

Louisa.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> So the Khans jar on inspection is as Fox says, BUT

> we have other jars of honey bought from a well

> known supermarkets, all in the ?2 range and they

> definitely ARE honey. And sainsburys do a jar of

> set honey for ?1.40, described as 100% honey. So

> it is possible to get 100% honey in those price

> ranges.

Eh? Hold on.. are you saying that Khan's is selling fake honey?

Louisa Wrote:

> Fox, I for one hope you continue to engage us all

> with your knowledge and selfless contributions on

> topics we otherwise would not be aware of.

> Louisa.

Migrating 'knowledge' from here , does that count?

We're all guilty of this at times, but come on Fox takes the biscuit, no the whole jar on this one

http://www.honeytraveler.com/single-flower-honey/?fdx_switcher=true

Hi Lou..

Its all the Working Class Heroes in ED.

Like ..'They hate you if you're Clever and they despise a fool..'

'There's room at the top they are telling you still

But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

If you want to be like the folks on the hill'

(John Lennon)

Foxy

I don't want to get drawn into or be the cause of any spats here. I bought a jar of something I thought was honey, Fox corrected that and was right on that one. It wasn't the fault of Khans either. Nowhere does the jar claim to be honey, I just assumed it was.

I understand that cheaper honey may be blended varieties as opposed to single hive honey, and it's ok for fox to point that out too. Personally I don't mind blended honey. It tastes just fine to me and is just as good for you as any honey. But that will be a matter of personal taste and that's fine too.

Let's play nice everyone. There are more important things to get irritated by than honey.

In an attempt to answer the OP from a 'beekeepers' perspective:

Very cheap honey as has already been mentioned is usually produced through feeding bees a diluted sugar syrup for them to convert into honey. This process is extremely quick but as you can imagine pretty tastless when it is compared to honey that the bees have produced without assistance. In fact i would not really consider this as proper honey, albeit for the pedants it has come from a bee :)

You then come across oilseed rape farmed honey where it flows in abundance early in the year but flavour is somewhat lacking again due to the source. but can be farmed in large volume so price is driven down.

Local honey or urban honey tends to be very full flavoured due to the abundance & variety of plants available to the bees and due to the inabilty to farm this on a large scale however it is also produced in very small qty's thus a premium is put on it.

That's all...

Yep it has three things that help with leg ulcers. Antibacterial properties, keeps the would moist and it's viscosity serves as a barrier to keep out further infection. It also has immunomodulatory properties which help tissue repair. Enzymatic production of hydrogen peroxide is a key part of its antimicrobial effect. Medical grade honey has high levels of potent bactericidal action that is effective against bacteria that is antibiotic resistant. Leg ulcers are particularly challenging to treat and antibiotics aren't always efeective enough. That's why medical grade honey is sometimes used.

• 2 weeks later...

numbers Wrote:

> ugh...tried manuka honey for the first time today,

> it tasted unpleasant and medicinal. Maybe its an

> acquired taste?

Manuka Honey Is a special type of honey that contains unique natural chemical properties such as Hydrogen peroxide

Hence the unusual taste..

It is used medicinally to heal cuts and in tea to soothe sore throats..

Note:-

Be careful here because you want ACTIVE Manuka honey. Look for a UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) number (ie 15+). The higher the UMF the better the medicinal properties of the honey! Aim for a number betwen 12-20. Do not bother with a product under 10 UMF.

I'm not sure if it meant to be eaten like ordinary honey.. I don't like it much.

Foxy

it is active manuke honey, my mum bought it for me to try.

you are right foxy it does have a very medicinal taste and I'm not surprised its used to heal cuts and soothe sore throats. I think I will save it for that very purpose and use my ordinary ol' norfolk honey to dollop on greek yoghurt.