Serious Assault On Postman

A serious assault and robbery took place, this morning, on a postal worker in East Dulwich. This person was badly beaten and some items of mail were stolen. Apparently, it is one of several attacks in the past week, which has resulted in the hospitalisation of the latest victim. Has anyone else heard anything?

Yeah it happened about 11 ish on the corner of Lordship and Melford, poor postie looked like he'd hurt his leg, no sign of assailant, seemingly it happened while he was collecting from one of the Royal Mail boxes they store mail in, maybe postie gave chase cause he was flat out at the bottom of Melford passage when the cops got there.

I hope the postman is ok and if any of his colleagues read on here maybe they can let us know?

And while it's no consolation to the poor guy I feel compelled to point out that as someone who hates any kind of "the world is going to pieces" Littlejohn-esque rant let's be clear this isn't a unique incident either in ED or globally

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22postman+attacked%22+&meta=

Unfortunately, it is not. If these thugs had to walk around the streets, in all weathers, with heavy sacks full of mail and earn what these people (who we all rely on, no matter what) do, they might think twice - which I very much doubt, as it's much easier to attack and steal for a living!

Also heard, that deliveries to 'estates' may stop and that the police will patrol the area, whilst postal deliveries are made?

Royal Mail store box where it all happened is by the estate (East Dulwich Estate?) opposite Bacelona Tapas.

It'll just be the same couple of guys repeating the crime. These witless thugs think they're on a winner when they've done it once and got away with it.

The tragedy is that there will be others protecting them... "My little Johnnie could never do a thing like that..."

I'd love to catch the ****** who did it

Best wishes to the postie in question

Hope noone whose post is affected suffers too much (sounds like could be me too)

And of course noone who rants about the world is a bad person (well apart from Littlejohn but he is beyond hope)

My point is - ranting about the world (as I am wont to do many times a day) based on anecdotal evidence alone doesn't make me right. My first thought when I read fish's story was "what the hell is goin on?" but I learned some time ago that when you look into these things the city was more often than not a worse place "back in the day".

(I'm setting myself up as a target here aren't I?)

This attack might be a sign that the area is going to hell in a handcart or it might be a sign that we are in one of those cyclical spates which happen from time to time and that actually things are about the same and we needn't worry any more than we did, say a year ago. Too early to say at this point imo

You could also argue that our more interconnected world, with its preponderance of sites like this one and faster ways of getting information from a to b, allows us to know more about the bad things. Without EDF, fewer of us would have know about this attack, and those that did would have learnt about it more slowly. So it's all EDF's fault! Nero

A lady i know told me her daughter was driving along when the assault happened,but this was outside Mrs Robinson,apparantly the postie would not let them have the bag and then chased them.3 guys on 1 guy mental.