Poor TV reception in ED, is Freesat the answer?

So we have freeview which we receive through an indoor aerial and it's incredibly annoying as the picture freezes and pixellates whenever a bus goes by or even if you just shift position on the sofa. Searching the forum, it seems a few people have problems with TV reception in the area and there's lots of different reasons and solutions offered.

Can anyone provide a definite reason for TV reception problems in East Dulwich?

And does anyone have Freesat and able to recommend it as the way to ensure a decent picture?

TV reception should be pretty good in ED, the TV transmitters are on the big tower in Crystal Palace, so out door antennas should be fine, or try pointing your indoor antenna in the same direction, although if there are a few walls in way (between the indoor antenna and the crystal palace side of your house) reception may not be too good.

Another alternative is getting an indoor antenna with a built in amplifier, I got a cheap one from Woolworths (not that that helps now) when I lived in a dodgy reception area a while back and it made a big improvement.

But I've heard from nearby folks with outdoor aerials that they still have problems. Seems to be more to it, possibly due to proximity to the Crystal Palace transmitter. If someone could provide a definitive answer as to what's behind the problems then hopefully the answer to outside aerial vs freesat will become clear.

I had problems with my external aeriel even after it was extended 10 feet. The problem with my location is Dawsons Heights interferes with the signal from Crystal Palace. My solution was to get freesat. Picture perfect every time.

hmmm...yes thinking about it more it depends what exactly is in the way, generally speaking you need line-of-sight to the tv transmitter so if you're in a valley or have a hill (or great big tower block) in the way it will not help matters at all.

I'd say if your neighbours still have trouble even with an external aerial then freesat may well be the way to go.

i've just signed up with virgin tv because there's nothing more annoying than reception cutting out during the good bits. Not sure i'd recommend virgin for customer service but have had no reception problems.

Edited because of my inability to spell and also to change my not sure i'd recommend for customer service to definitely not recommend, they have diabolical customer service.

That sounds ominous kk, i shall brace myself for the problems.

You should get good picture from FreeSet wherever you are in the UK, so long as you have line of site (South East ish). I have it in ED with Humux HDR and get perfect picture on all SD/HD channels.

I have an external aerial and freesat and still cant seem to get any BBC channels without inteference at the moment.

Was wondering what was going on as i usually have no trouble watching the pile of shite that is eastenders!!!

I mean come on, who cares about peggys love life and the possible father of evs 10 stone baby.(well.... me actually ,so whats up with the signal!!!!

> I have an external aerial and freesat

You might want to try using a Satellite dish to get FreeSat.

> I use an indoor aerial and have direct line of sight of Crystal Palace

Line of site is for Satellite services, terrestrial is a bit more.. well fuzzy.

There isn't any one reason. Some of the obvious are...

1. Signal too low (usually in London because of steel framed buildings in the line of sight).

2. Signal insulated (usually because of either being inside a steel framed building, or having steel framed windows in line of sight)

3. Signal interference (usually reflection from nearby buildings interfering with your signal in an offset pattern)

4. Signal too high (causes 'clipping' at the top and bottom of the waveform which reduces quality)

They all have different cures, so if you want to carry on using a terrestrial signal it can mean getting in the experts.

For example if you get a bigger aerial to cure the point 4, you'll just make it worse. An outside aerial may help with 1 & 2, but won't if it's 3.

However, FreeSat should solve them all.

jm78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > I have an external aerial and freesat

>

> You might want to try using a Satellite dish to

> get FreeSat.

That should have been Freeview, not Freesat (I know as it's the other half!) :-)

This problem has only arisen over the last few weeks (the BBC channels) and only affects the BBC channels (1,2,3 & 4, BBC News24) - thought it may be a problem with their signal. All other channels are fine.