Little black flies

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm also giving Ted some blue steel on this one.

> Would the builders in question by any chance be

> using the sand to install chimneys?

> 'Special' chimneys.

>

> Re: Chimney use in London

> Posted by: Ted Max May 12, 02:14PM

> You can use your fireplace but the smoke must not

> go up the chimney as it is now deemed a hazard to

> nesting birds. Most people have special extractor

> pipes fitted into the fireplace which vent the

> smoke through wall-mounted filters that clean the

> smoke and expel it as clear exhaust. You need to

> change the filters about once a year.

>

> Mind you on that occasion there was an even bigger

> bluff, I remember one joker trying to convince us

> there was such a thing as 'smokeless' coal, and

> you sending him away with a Saharan Sand Fly in

> his ear.

I fell for that one when it was first written. I was new and naive then.

• 3 weeks later...

skwirt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> don't know if this will assist - but being a Scot

> (from mozzie teratory) I have found one of the

> best insect repellants is actually Avon's 'skin so

> soft' moisturisers. This was recomended and has

> been tested by lots of people who spend lots of

> time in the scotish wilderness. Might be worth a

> go in the environs of Peckham Rye......

Skwirt, it has to be the blue one. I have just been to the Avon website for a link and it seems they changed the packaging but I think it's this one. The others don't have citronella in them so are no use. This is used by all sorts of very well travelled people including special forces would you believe.

It used to look like this.

I'm being attacked by these blighters too. Sat out in the garden on Saturday night and have six big bites on my back. (my dad who was visiting was confused about how they could get under my top - which was amusing!) then the next night i got two more on my arm. They're horrible, not like mozzy bites...they are leaving really bad marks. Buggers!

p.s thanks to all for the suggestions on what to do with the family on an earlier thread. We had a great time and the weather was glorious...ended up playing cricket in Dulwich park all day Sunday. Was only slightly disappointed that the Plough wouldn't let my 14-year-old brother in, even to eat, after 7pm. (But that's nowt to do with the pesky flies...sorry!)

They're about in New Beckenham too. I've been playing football at the Goals centre there once a week and after every session I've got three or four bites. Itchy as hell and sore for about 10 days - bring up big bruises as well.

Looks like I'll be rubbing Avon skin care products into my thighs rather than linament from now on. >:D<

Since my post on July 22nd about my bites I have been using a Herbal insect repellent by Bioforce Neemcare which I bought from the pharmacy in Northcross road.It contains Neem oil and although the insects land on you they dont bite good for people who dont want to use chemicals on their skin,its also a spray not an aerosol.I am still going on my early morning outdoor gym

and walking sessions and have not had a bite since.

I got bitten by those black flies last Friday - vicious things, drew blood.

And they must have been munching on something pretty nasty before they got to me because my bites got horribly infected - ended up down A&E to get horse strength antibiotics to kill off the infection and having to rest with my feet up and ice on my leg while the inflammation went down. Now, nearly a week later, I still have some nasty bruises - never seen anything like it.

Hi there,

I'm an Avon Rep and have some of the much sought after Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray that contains citronella so acts as an insect repellent. Bargain at ?2.50 for a bottle.

Let me know if you'd like one and I can pop it round to you.

Thx

Jen

Hopefully this will help everyone... without costing too much!

Just returned from an island off Malaysia where Sandflies are rife (i ended up with a secondary infection from one which blistered and got infected, and 3 weeks later they are still purple and itching like mad!!). The small resort we stayed in made their own homemade concoction and the sandflies hated it - they'll fly close to you, but won't land and bite!

Not too sure about the proprtions but simply teatree oil, baby oil and detol. Doesn't smell great but works.

Citronella and mozzie sprays don't work at all... or they didn't with me.

C