Crab Apples

I was just thinking about this, this weekend. Our neighbour's crab apple tree is dropping a tonne of windfall apples onto our lawn but I was thinking about going for a savoury version - crab apple and chilli jam is supposed to be good. I guess if it tastes alright I then need to work out which house belongs to the neighbour who backs onto our garden to offer them some. TD, you're not on CPR by any chance are you? ;-)

Apple jelly is one of the easier ones to make because of the higher levels of pectin - although it can vary between types of apple.

• 1 month later...

So many crab apples on Silvester Road, it pains me to see them all going to waste. Currently piling up on the pavement.

I'm not a jam maker (or much of a jam eater) though, and they are a bit high up to pick them off the tree without a ladder. If anyone else can use them and wants to swap some of whatever they make for something else, I'd happily sign up to that. My parents used to preserve whole crab apples with sugar and cinammon, I did like those, will have to check on the recipe.