House Boat in Amsterdam- Recommendations

andypandy

Planning on going to Amsterdam with the wife for a long weekend in October. Does anyone have any particular recommendations? seems to be plenty of them out there but it's just good if something comes recommended. Would also take a pretty appartment as an alternative.

Andy,

I wouldn't go for the houseboat because a lot of the unregulated prostitution is carried out on the canals. You wouldn't want to be woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of a tart being knifed by her pimp.

Spunked in condoms could also put you off your breakfast.

I do like Amsterdam but if you are there for a while then do make a trip to the (Bloemendaal) beach, in all I think there are around 6 different themed beachbars & it's great place, train /hire bikes or get a cab from Amsterdam I have friends in Harlem near-by who took us.....loved it. There are some nice guest houses near by as well.

W**F

Oh BTW this place is not just a dance music venue, far from it . There are great food places too in the day , nice place to relax and get away from it all.

The coffee shops are also incredibly over rated and hyped up. O.K, you can get your hands on some incredibly powerful weed but I just find the whole thing very boring as habitual herboids are habitually boring conversationalists.

Beware when you're in the red light district as I've heard accounts of customers being held hostage by the madame and demanding money with the threat of being male raped by the bouncer.

If you stay in a hotel expect the rooms to be turned over by the owners on a daily basis. It happened to me and it was an unnerving experience but they never stole anything, just checking that nothing dodgy was going on.

Don't for one second expect the Dutch to all be sex crazed pot heads. They aren't and a lot of them seriously resent their home being known as the toilet of Europe.

It is a genuinely intrigueing place and I hope you have fun. Just don't do the sort of things I'd do.

Another hijacking of a topic! Amsterdam is a brilliant cultural city. It is not drug and prostitution infested as many people seem to think. I think if you said that to most Amsterdammers they would be offended. If anyone does have any practical recommendations then I'd really it appreciate it .

Amsterdam, is a lovely city! i go there about once a month to visit my sister who re-located over there for a wonderful design job. Its only The centre in general that is sometimes'over-run' with drunken English at the weekend(who you can spot a mile off by the way), who fall out of pubs and the like.In terms of prostitutes, they cater more for the tourists,and they are not littered all over town, they stand in little windows in the tourist part, tucked behind the back streets.

So dont let that put you off.

In general, its a nice city, which is very liberal in views and vaules.Dutch lifestyle's always intrigue me, the way they seem to do everything on their dutch bikes, some even move house on their bikes! If you cant hold an umbrella, speak into your mobile, whilst balancing shopping and a person on your bike, all at the same time, then your not an amsterdammer.

House boats are nice but bring alot of mosquitoes are you sure you want to rent on a canal??

And make sure you go to the Ann frank house if you haven't already!

*Tee*

Oh good point Tea. I lived there for a year, had a lovely little studio by the Kaisergracht. One summer night I left the back door open. On waking I couldn't open my eye and thought 'funny, didn't have that much to drink, eye shouldn't have that much sleep. Went to bathroom and found John Merrick staring back at me.

I'd been eaten alive and those canal Mosquitos are nasty and dirty. Had people staring at me the whole journey into work. I'd rung ahead to warn them I'd be late as was picking ip some antihystemines. Everyone took the piss but here was a nervous silence when I walked in.

All to say, steer clear of houseboats. Some uttely delightful old world charming appartments in Amsterdam. Top place, red light district is tiny and so much to see outside of it. I can recommend some good eateries and some great bars. Little wizened old things and modrn ones with the beautiful people.

Have a great time there.

Mockney

You lived in Amsterdam?

If I were in that enviable position I'm being deadly serious when I say I wouldn't be able to trust myself. I'd smoke and shag the town dry and predictably end up in some sort of sordid scandal forcing the authorities to deport me.

How did you overcome the temptation? I'd probably never turn up for work. I totally agree with you about the old apartments as the Dutch have an uncanny skill at turning even the smallest loft into something quite cosy and pretty.

Andy

Mug off all this old rhubarb concerning the museums and Ann Franks shy away den. Get yourself down to the Heineken brewery!!!

I've done the Heineken Brewery before and yes a TOP recommendation. When I went there were 2 tours a day, both in the morning. A very interting tour telling you why their beer is so special etc etc and you end up in a bar with an endless supply of Heinken served in a perfect condition. You have about an hour as I remember before being chucked out. Basically your are smashed before it's midday and all for about 50p. I've been a Heineken bore ever since... clearly they knew what they were doing!

Oh, if you want to make a cheap phone call back home make sure that you buy the right phonecard because they're used to selling them to people who know exactly what they're looking for leaving the vendors to be quite vague when it comes to inexperienced Brits.

The one I ended up with was about as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.