former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Works started yesterday on installing electric pop up points for the Northcross Road Market stall holders. This work will take 2-3 weeks and should result in the stall holders having electricity and no longer needing to run little generators.

Any problems while the works take place let me know.

>Tomorrow filming takes place on Northcross Road - for an advert - from noon to 7pm.

>A crew of 25 plus. Rain and wind macines, dolly and track, set dressing from

> 8am (Blue Mountain, Sweetshop, Beauty products shops) and scenery.

O brave new world. All these people, going to all this trouble and expense, to help us choose well.

Wednesday 10 November is the next Dulwich Community Council - where public consultation on the council budget and what to expand and cut. 7pm Christchurch (263 Barry Road near the Lordship Lane junction).

Prior to this 6.30pm-7pm all three local Police teams covering East Culwich , College and Village wards will be holding surgeries at this venue.

If you have any concerns or issues about crime and anti social behaviour come and discuss them.

If you're an ED resident come along also for free property marking kits, etc.

Hi James,

Do you have any more news about the speed hump implementation in Matham, Chesterfield and Ashbourne? Is it going to go ahead or is this change in estimate going to be a real issue?

Thanks

Gimme

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Gimme,

> The analysis is complete. Bizarre I had to request

> it but never mind.

> 86% of all street were in favour of 20mph speed

> limit - Matham, Ashbourne, Chesterfield, Bassano

> and Blackwater.

> Matham, Ashbourne and Chesterfield were in favour

> of sinusoidal speed humps. But Bassano and

> Blackwater were not in favour of speed humps.

>

> What I proposed was speed humps in Matham,

> Ashbourne and Chesterfield with 20mph singage and

> speed limit in all these roads plus Bassano and

> Blackwater. Chuffed that residents are thinking

> along the same lines.

>

> Weirdly the estimate of the costs of works from

> December 2009 of ?25,000 to do this has jumped to

> ?37,000. So I've asked for a detailed breakdown as

> unsurprisingly the East Dulwoich councillors have

> budgetted ?25,000.

>

> Will keep you posted.

Hi Gimme,

Filling that ?12,000 shortfall is a problem.

We've currently have ?29,000 of installation works for electric pop-up points on Northcross Road for the market.

I'm hopeful that will come in under the budget which had quite a lot of contigency. These works will finish during November and we'll then know how much is left over to help towards that ?12,000.

The 484 bus route contract has been re contracted with Abellio taking effect March 2011.

We should a new single decker fleet introduced with the re contracting but other than that no changes. Shame as we had asked for more frequency.

Always a risk that with the current contract coming to an end that service become more problematic. If you spot any changes please let me know.

They did consider re routing the bus via Dog Kennel Hill Sainsbury's but discounted adding up to 5 min each way as it would delay roughly 2,700 through passengers a day.

Both my 2 boys go to school at Goose Green Primary. On the way to school we have to cross the Grove Vale Road at the Traffic Lights. The traffic on this road goes extremely fast as well as the buses!!! I have been amazed at the amount of times cars have jumped the red lights just as we as a family are about to cross! A number of times my 5 year old boy has almost been hit simply because he has waited for the green man (which has 2 second delay after the red light) stepped out and a car has ploughed on through the red light. I have had numerous arguements with buses who had not slowed down or look as if they are not slowing and then the light flashes and they carry on through without giving us time to cross.

Is it possible to either raise a ramp on the crossing, put a school crossing sign up or a speed limit along there. I fear that one day someone might just get hit and I pray that it is NOT any member of my family!

Thank you.

Hi mum2theboys,

COuncillors and officers are currently discussing what changes are required to Lordship Lane and Grove Vale before it goes to public consultation.

One of the requests I've made is Grove Vale be 20mph. That car parking along Grove Vale be allowed which would narrow the road and help create 20mph atmosphere.

Creating a raised crossing is hugely expensive. Due to the high road usage it would need a lot fo maintenance see Walworth Road raised crossings which within 12months fell to bits and have never lasted. Also with many thousands of bus passengers an uncomfortable journey. Imortantly a raising of the road is not the only way to create 20mph atmosphere.

Hi James,

Just a quick one, last week on Vale End on the pavement running down the side of Keating Estates leading into Hayes Grove/Besant Place, a car removal lorry drove over a manhole cover and cracked quite badly meaning the hole is now partially open. I was a bit worried someone might fall into it so me and my colleague put a pallet over the top and then called the council - they said someone would come out and repair it as a matter of urgency as it was dangerous but they still have not come to repair it. This happened a week ago and no one has even called back to update me, do you know who would be dealing with this? I have a reference number from the person I spoke to on the phone if you need it.

Cheers, Luke

Hi James, I wonder if you can help? I've just posted my concerns about the mud situation in Goose Green playround in the family discussion area and was advised to post here. (Apologies if this has been brought up before, I'm new on here, and I didn't have the heart to go through 41 pages on this thread!).

In short, there's a huge muddy area in the playground which a total nightmare for kids and mums. Its been there for a few months now and is steadily getting worse as the weather deteriorates. It looks like a drainage problem, but I'm no expert. I've seen loads of kids falling over and lots of mums too. In fact yesterday the area was almost inaccessible and I got very worried about my 2 year old who got stuck over the other side on a piece of equipment with no easy way to get to her (with baby in tow).

However I should just add that the playground is fantastic and we are regular users - I just wish this slippery muddy area could be sorted out.

Thanks

Hi dubluke,

Can you give me a precise location and I'll chase council officers to get it fixed - nearest lamp post and the reference number on it?

Hi Gussy,

13 October officers were checking how much matting for this muddy area would costs and if they had sufficient budget. Netting surface as its now clear grass wont stand the incredible popularity of the playground. I've sent a chaser email to officers asking if they've worked out whther they have the budget for this.

Hi James,

I went out to look at the lamp post and unfortunately the yellow sticker which normally has the reference number on has been partially ripped off and just says 'C'. I have as an alternative pinpointed roughly where it is on google maps, please see the green pin on this map here - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=51.4617,-0.07989&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&gl=uk&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=51.461879,-0.079334&sspn=0.000907,0.002411&ie=UTF8&z=19&pw=2

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, however I work in Keating Estates just down from where the manhole is so if the person/team sent to repair it cannot see it straight away tell them poke their head into the office and ask for Luke (that's me), Nick, Gill or Albert as we all know where the hole is

I spent Thursday evening walking the streets of East Dulwich with the lead officers boss for street lighting.

We're in the process of finalising where to spend this financial years devolved budget for street lighting renewals - ?50,000. This is one policy that probably wont survive the Labour running the council.

We have 18 lampposts whose steel at the base has eroded by over 70%. Due to EDF Energy having a monopoly of local connections it costs ?2,000 to replace lampposts.

The remaining ?14,000. Would like to replace the very few yellow SOX lighting. Apart from the yellow being rather dim it uses twice the energy of brighter SON whiter lighting and slightly more than twice than the super bright Cosmo lighting. We could use recycle SON lighting at ?200 a go or ?500 for new Cosmo lighting. The priority is Friern Road, Crystal Palace Road and Dunstans Road where the SOX lighting is still present - but after the 'red' status lamp posts.

Also talked about remote controlled lighting etc. So I learnt loads. If anyone wants to discuss street lighting please do get in touch.

Hi Tut tut,

I've attached Southwark Councils leaflet about bed bugs which can be found on the Southwark Council website with other leaflets on pests - Bedbugs, Coackroaches, Ghost ants, Mice, Pharoah abnts and Rate:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/431/pest_control/1343/preventing_pest_problems

I hadn't heard that we're a hotspot for them but after reading these leaflet s I certainly feel itchy!

The council pest control service is free to council tenants but can also be used for a charge by general residents call - 0800 952 4444. The general advice is you need professinoal help to get rid of bedbugs.

Hope this helps.

Hi James,

Saw two large rats disappearing into the disused garages on Upland Road at the LL junction (library end) yesterday. The owners of the land were going to build a townhouse there (after building the three flats next door) but now the flats are finished are now trying to sell the land. The garages were already full of cr*p but now site is covered in building detritus which is clearly attracting vermin.

If it is the owner's responsibility to clear this, what is the route to initiating dealings ?

Thanks in advance

Hello James

Can you tell me who is responsible for "pavement obstruction"...

On the road where I live the wheely bins are left out on the pavement and several hedges take over half the pavement. When my young nephew comes to visit it's really difficult to wheel his buggy along - and I dread to think how a wheelchair user must cope....

Thank you

AC