former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi peckhamboy,

Some years ago I volunteered to be a technical trainer 2 days a week. I had a little bit of trian the trainer training and then had groups of 16 well paid colleagues from across the UK who had asked to attend the training. At the end of the each training day at 5pm I had to go home and lie down thoroughly exhausted. My respect for teachers rose significantly from my two years of doing that. I onlt rtrained for 50 days during the 2 years. I could not imagine doing it day in day out for decades on end. It would kill me.

That's where my perspective comes from.

Equally I suspect many indistries could do with recharged employees and colleagues.

Dear Peckhamboy,

What fantastic ignorance you display!

If you think teaching is as easy as your job, then have a look on Jamie's Dream school, on iplayer (or whatever they call the one for C4). Do you think you could cope with those teenagers on there? And there's no let off if you have a hangover, at 0900 (or whatever) you can't just sit at your desk and keep your head down below the parapet, you have to get up and teach 11Z for 60 minutes. Believe me, if you are not on the ball, they will tear you to shreds. And then at 1000 there will be 9Z, at 1100 8Z, maybe you'll then get a coffee break (when several other kids will demand your attention so you can't even relax then.) And it goes on till the end of school when you can then put your feet up and relax with some lesson planning for tomorrow, plus several sets of marking to complete.

Very few teachers in difficult schools don't suffer from some sort of burn out in their 50s.

And imagine coping with those teenagers when you are 67, like the government is now asking!

If a teacher retires at 65, their life expectancy according to the actuaries in the insurance industry is just 18 months.

Why? because teaching in your 60s puts a massive strain on your system. You have to be alert 100% of the time, there is so little down time at all.

Try it for yourself!

Have requested a new Wood Vale street name plate for the junction Wood Vale with Lordship Lane.

Also asked for the mini roundabout at junction of Melford Road with Wood Vale to be repainted.

Hope the person who PM'd me will be happy when completed.

Person who asked why council flat 8A Worlingham Road has remained empty so long - I've been told its been empty since 8 November 2009. It had structural faults so the council tenant had to be moved out and structural work completed. This work cost so much and finished in the new year that the council now plans to sell the property to pay for the works. It will use the surplus to renew other council properties.

Townley green, you've got the wrong end of the stick I'm afraid. Please re-read my post. I never said teaching was easy. In fact, I am quite sure it is every bit as difficult and stressful as my job, and any number of other jobs, in different ways. The difference is that I and the vast majority of the population don't have 16 weeks holiday a year. Anyway, I have no intention of hijacking James' thread so I will say no more on the matter.

Hi James, I'm pleased to see you being proactive and using the forum. I wanted to check if you may know who I need to talk to regarding the condition of the public tennis courts in Belair Park, West Dulwich. A lot of people enjoy playing there but they are in desperate need of repainting and some of the nets could do with being replaced. If you have any advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Alex

Peckhamboy said

Neither did you read my post properly!!

The 16 weeks holidays (if only that is what they were! Holidays!) don't seem to stop teachers burning out in their 50s. Does that happen in your job? Which is what, please?

But as you say I don't want to hi-jack James' highly useful post so I shall follow your lead and not say any more.

Hi alexsmith565,

I've been assured me that the parks people can resolve such issues on ad hoc basis and that someone will be along in the day or two to inspect and arrange new nets and lining as required.

Please keep me posted as things fixed so I can pass on my thanks to council officials - also useful to know when a problem fully resolved for my records.

Many thanks for highlighting this problem.

Wood Vale/Melford Road mini roundabout - I've been assured repainting of the white lines and mini roundabout will occur within 28 days.

Loading bay signage outside 36 Barry Road area should be fixed in next 8-10 weeks. it needs legal Traffic Management Order hence the delay.

Has any one else been turned away from the Lambeth Council Vale Street recycling centre - 200m across the border from South Croxted Road?

Some years ago the former ED Lib Dem Cllr Richard Thomas arranged a formal agreement to allow residents from each borough to use each others recycling centres but Lambeth appear to have reneged on this. Ironic considering both councils now the same Labour persuasion.

James, please could you ask your colleagues in Road Safety to follow up on a note I sent to them a few weeks ago. I've not heard back and the problem doesn't seem to have been rectfied (although it is now half term).

The parents of children at Francesca Cabrini school seem totally unable to park safely or legally at pick up time, but despite our normally overexcitable traffic wardens, nothing seems to be done. There are only zig zags on one side of the road on Forest Hill road (not that it stops them from parking on them), and on the other side parents seem to think it is perfectly fine to park up on the pavement and sit for 20 minutes or so until their children emerge. I walk past the school every day with my 5 year old and baby (my son attends a school around the corner) and recently had to shout very loudly at both him and a driver, as the latter had decided to start reversing on the pavement with (child) pedestrians walking very close by.

As well as the pedestrian safety issue, this does clog up the road to traffic, as the P12 bus can't get down the road (and by stopping at the stop backs up traffic further).

Could you take a look? thanks

I know that there's a two-year plan regarding to sort out Forest Hill Road and would like to see what these plans are. We need more traffic calming measures, maybe some yellow lines or extension of current double yellow lines.

Hi ladywotlunches,

On reflection I don't think I should request parking enforcement - Francesca Cabrini is in Peckham Rye ward. I wouldn't welcome councillors from other wards deciding such matters for East Dulwich ward. So I have emailed the PR ward councillors highlighting these concerns. If you find nothing on the ground changes then by all means email me privately at [email protected] to discuss how to take forward.

Hi Sue,

I've asked that replacement photo be installed. We kepy some money back from this project precisely for such an eventuality.

Hi Fuschai,

Not sure if your comments related ot Francesca Cabrini or St.Anthony's?

Hi TonyQuinn,

I've asked if I can have a copy of the Forst Hill Road plans to pass onto to you.

The Alleyns planning application for flood lighting of it hockey all weather pitch will go to the main planning committee next tuesday the 14th 7pm at the town hall.

I'm tempted to go along and support it as it it would be one of the few lit all weather pitches in the area and closest to ED.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Hi Fuschai,

> Not sure if your comments related ot Francesca

> Cabrini or St.Anthony's?

Heber. Do you have a contact email i could send a photo to? I snapped a car parked right on the zig zags at 4pm today! Makes me really cross