former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi Sue,

I'm afraid it has become more complicated.

A public Dulwich Community Council meeting was held with about 100 attendee at Christchurch to make recommendations as requested by the Licensing Committee. At the end of the very constructive public meeting the recommendations produced were VERY clear no Sunday market.

At the Licensing Committee they first threw out all the recommendations made. When they realised that meant no changes of any kind to the current market they then re-voted to re consult on Sunday opening of the market in 6 months time.

So sadly not as cut and dry as the residents, traders, shop keepers and councillors of East Dulwich wanted or reasonably could have expected.

If the Licensing Committee had weighed up the first consultation which appears in favour of sunday opening with the recommendations from the public meeting giving a very different picture being strongly against then I could see that the 6 months was to make sure overall good decision. But as the Licensing Committee gave the impression of being whipped and the Labour majority didn't ask questions about weighing up the conflicting public feedback it gives the impression the Labout administration want to ram through Sunday opening. That to avoid this happening the community will have to very organised to fight against it.

Two members of the Licensing Committee will be present and you can ask them directly what happened and what they think we need to do to ensure East Dulwich residents, traders and shop keepers voices are heard on this matter.

James, unfortunately I am away so can't make this meeting, but am very interested about primary schools/bulge classes for 2012. Being a massive 335 metres from nearest school, Heber, we wouldn't have got in this year, but have been offered a nursery spot. Will there be any minutes taken that we'd be able to see?

Two things I thought might be of interest.

1st is attached plan of the section of North Cross Road that is planned to be closed from 7 May every Saturday 9am-5pm. Its the short section between Lordship Lane and Nutfield.

2nd is application form if you have an idea for a great community event that needs funding.

We had a really interesting Dukwich Community Council on Thursday evening.

We learnt that anti social crimes includes malicious phone calls and that most of this crime type in East Dulwich is one person calling the police repeatedly. so apart from this East Dulwich continues to have "the lowest notifyable offences in the borough". It was also clear that in College ward something like 1 in 6 or 7 crimes is related solely to petrol thefts from two Shell petrol stations.

The officer in charge of forecasting for school places talked thoroughly about primary and secondary school admissions and bulge classes. Useful q&a session followed. The past certainty we wouldn't need an extra primary school didn't come across. yet he also made it clear that the orating bulge classes appear to be solving the problem. Hopefully our local primary schools won't become academies where they'd be less likely to support the area collegiately.

Superintendent Burden gave a presentation about a London wide review of how residents wants to be communicated with. This appears aimed at the survey results making it easier to close police station front desks. The criteria for keeping a front desk is 12 visits per 8 hour shift. Use it of lose it - East Dulwich police station.

Dulwich Pool showers aren't working. Bizarre that after ?6.1M the shores should fail. So please do be prepared to go home all chlorine covered and shower at home.

I've obviously reported this asked when they failed, when they'll be properly working again and what they've had to do to the pol to ensure it's hygienic. Despite this the floats session today was really popular with more floats for the kids than last time.

Hi sue,

I'm afraid i'm not aware of any delivery issues to Palmerston. But feel sure a Saturday delivery could be rearranged to complete before the official 8am start of the road closure or the pratical start time of when Market traders are meant to be on site 9am.

James, yet again I asked at Dulwich Leisure Centre as to when the new gym facilities that were due to open last month would open, I was told probably September! Do Southwark not put their contractors on penalty clauses for failure to complete? The gym is nothing short of a joke, half the equipment in there is either broken/out of use on a constant basis. And I don't want an answer use Peckham Pulse, because I don't pay my 40 odd quid a month in membership to jump on a bus that would collectively cost me the same again in bus fares over the same period.

Use Dulwich Hamlets, just up near Sainburys. No pool, but the gym is more than adequate (all the equipment you'd expect), not crowded and very cheap. And Skip is really good.

Bunny19 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James, yet again I asked at Dulwich Leisure Centre

> as to when the new gym facilities that were due to

> open last month would open, I was told probably

> September! Do Southwark not put their contractors

> on penalty clauses for failure to complete? The

> gym is nothing short of a joke, half the equipment

> in there is either broken/out of use on a constant

> basis. And I don't want an answer use Peckham

> Pulse, because I don't pay my 40 odd quid a month

> in membership to jump on a bus that would

> collectively cost me the same again in bus fares

> over the same period.

I went to ask about membership last week as I am thinking of joining and was told that the main gym will be open by June. I was shown the plans of the layout which looked all good. I was told the flooring was complete and all that needed to happen was the equipment put into place ready for June.... not sure if anything has changed since last week?

Hi Bunny19,

I've very recently asked about this and was assured June (this year).

But a little nagging voice makes me wonder whether the Labour administration wants to maximise the gap between the reopening of the gym and the Lib Dem administration that made the decision and allocated the capital....

I'll rechase the lead officer to find out the very latest.

Thanks boomerang. I'm sure you' right but equally if a member of staff has told one visitor the wrong information you can be sure they will have and will tell others. So I'll chase this down to avoid this.

Hi dazeycat,

I've not heard back yet. Let's give the of officer a couple more days and then I'll chase them again.

Hi James,

I live on Barry Road near the Underhill Rd junction where there have been recent road works. Earlier this afternoon a worker knocked on my door asking if I knew the owner of two cars parked on Barry Rd, which needed to be moved so he could park his truck and remove the rubble. He told me if the owners could not be found then he would need to contact a recovery company to move the cars and the owners would then have to pay to have them returned.

My main issues regarding this are:

1) There are no signs to indicate that these cars should not be parked on that section of the road today

2) We have not had any letters to state that we should not park on there today

3) Why should the owners have to pay for return of their vehicles in light of points (1) and (2)?

About 5 years ago my husbands car was moved from Barry Road by a recovery company and badly damaged in the process, again there were no signs or letter to indicate that he should not have parked where he had. We did not receive any money for the damages and, as a result, his insurance premium and those of other residents in the are have increased.

Hi James,

Can anything be done by the council to encourage people to trim their hedges?? There's a house/?flat conversion on Crystal Palace Road between Whateley and Pellat Road where the hedge is obstructing the pavement (especially as it's right by a lamp post) It's impossible to get by with a buggie (and I'm sure postmen have same problem with their trolleys) without brushing against the hedge.

Cheers.

Hi srisky,

I can't see that vehicles can be relocated without some warning not to park there.

If anyone suffers this please do get in touch asap.

Hi buggie,

Its also a problem for blind people as guid dogs don't look above to check their owner wont be blocked.

One local blind chap had to visit casaulty from the mess an over growing tree made of him when he walked into it.

It seems this yar as if every hedge etc has suddenly encroached over the footway.

IF YOU HAVE A FRONT GARDEN PLEASE DO ENSURE YOUR HEDGE, ETC ISN'T OVERGROWING THE FOOTPATH PLEASE.

If you physically can't please get in touch. If you think a neighbour needs to some help please do offer to help.

I get a letter from the council, if my hedge strays to far over the pavement, threatening me with action (not sure what) if I don't deal with it. So they clearly do have powers. Try the environment section on the council website?

hi james

this morning walking down barry rd, i noticed that the lower branches of all the trees are very overgrown.

this meant ducking everytime i wanted to get past / under a tree - the alternative was to walk into the branches and get drenched with all the rain water on the leaves!

could the lower branches of the trees be pruned back please? thanks

Last year on Abbotswood Road council workers came by and whitewalled every hedge along every walk, cutting the vegetation back flush to the perpendicular from the edge of the paving. Front garden after front garden had the startled expression of someone whose eyebrows have been shaved off. No idea what prompted the intervention: My tenth year here and the first such event.

An anecdote only, but demonstrating that money and people were available to the government for that sort of thing as recently as summer, 2010.

Dear James,

There have been road works on East Dulwich road since Easter Sunday, there initially appeared to be an emergency outside Locale (Italian restaurant) which required the pavement, then road to be dug up. Drilling started at 11pm & continued for about an hour. Over the past two weeks there has been ongoing late night drilling, humming machinery and on one occasion workmen shouting jokes to each other at approximately 2am. On Thursday 5th May, the gas work appeared to have ruptured a water pipe, resulting in another (different) machine humming loudly throughout the night to deal with the excess water. All of these events have impacted on my ability to sleep as I live in very close proximity.

Is there anyway you could liaise with Southern Gas (the utility company responsible for the works) to ascertain the expected length of the works as it is becoming an issue?

Thanks.