former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Crawthew Grove being 'closed' as WorldWiser has captured in that picture is a very regular occurrence and if not closed it is often blocked by the steady stream of large trucks delivering stuff to the site. For weeks in early summer nothing was going on at the site - yet the various parking spaces were still blocked out by their bollards and mobile toilet facility.

I've been eagerly awaiting their update in the promised monthly newsletter (they wrote to all of us in December saying to expect one) - but alas my copy seems to have gone astray....each month.

Anyway the 9 months of disruption has not all been in vain - they have dug a very, very deep hole. Although as you point out most of the displaced soil is on the pavement.

James -how can councillors be saying the demand for primary school places took them by suprise? Primary schools were forced to have bulge classes 3 years ago & the same thing was said then. Heber had one along with the other local primaries the knock on effect is an ever smaller catchment area - it's now tiny & siblings of the 90 strong bulge year come through meaning even less places for new children - why does no one think this through? Bulge classes are short term emergency fixes not long term solutions. That more bulges are happening when a new school was clearly needed years ago is laughable.

Will we have the same problem now with our children approaching secondary? We are on the edge of the charter approximate area but my child in year 5 may not get a place even though its our nearest school & he could walk there - so now the whole headache starts again.

& on a separate topic - the length of crystal palace road from lordship lane down to Heber road is yet again covered in dog mess, same offenders, same dogs, same locations, fresh poo every day.

Hi keane,

I've not said we're surprised by the buliding primary school bulge. We learnt lessons from 2009 and have been working tirelessly every since to ensure we have sufficient great places locally.

The secondary school level we relatively more time to prepare and to get plans in place locally. We're working on it and have publicly said we think we need a new secondary school. Ideally opening around Sept 2016.

Dog poo. I'm sorry the council response isnt as good as it used to be - used to be 2hours to remove nbow 48 hours. Effectively issues are ignoed when reorted and left to regular litter pickers to resolve. This inst being given the same priority I or my policial group would give it.

Hi keane,

I have ZERO expectation of more buldge classes at schools in East Dulwich primary schools - this assumes the council fully uses the new free schools in its admissions process. This September 50 more places opened at Judith Kerr. Another 60 open next September'14 at 1st Harris ED primary school and another 60 open the following September at 2nd Harris primary school. Bessemer Grange primary school open a third form entry adding 30 places. Dulwich Hamlet open on Bellenden 2016 releasing around 30 places at Goose Green school for East Dulwich families.

The next step is a new local co-ed secondary school.

The council expects its every other day litter pickers to remove dog mess. If it isnt removed please let me know.

I have reported it as not being removed. IF it's still there on Friday let me know so I can make a visit.

Hi James - thanks for contacting enforcement re. blocking road. I assume therefore that nothing can be done about the damage they're causing or the amount of street they're taking up with their equipment. That corner is a nightmare to drive around since it's impossible to see anything coming the other way. Are there no limits to how much space a contractor can take up - the entire street if they see fit?!

Hi James,

Just wondering: what kind of quality control do you have on pothole "repairs" in the area? I cycle to/from work along East Dulwich Grove every day (on the road, not the pavement, and stopping at zebra crossings and red lights, before I get a load of abuse from the usual suspects), and increasingly I'm finding myself having to swerve all over the road to avoid deep/ serious potholes (the sort which would take you off the bike and possibly buckle a front wheel in the process). And here's the thing: many of these have technically been "repaired" - just really, really badly. Here's what you'll see on the road surface if you stroll the couple of hundred metres between the LL junction and the top of the hill by Alleyn's:

* Holes with one side filled and the other left untouched;

* Holes with a tiny amount of tarmac thrown into them (not enough to level them to the road surface), leaving anything up to a two inch drop from the rest of the road surface;

* Holes which have been filled in, next to other holes (which were there at the same time) which have been ignored;

* Holes which haven't been filled in, but had the "square bracket" marking sprayed onto the road (which I gather means "this should be filled in") anything up to six months ago (yes, I know that bit of road really well by now).

For drivers (I drive a car as well), potholes are an inconvenience and possibly a source of expensive damage - but on a bike these things can seriously injure you. It's especially bad on this stretch because a lot of them go down to a previous road surface which is a long way down from the current one. Has anyone discussed the shoddy workmanship with the contractor?

Hi howdood,

I also cycle and increasingly fear for my safety from unrepaired and 'repaired' potholes.

I've already a query exploring this with council officials but we know the speed and severity of pothole repairs have been relaxed. The council administration accept 11.5% of roads needing serious repairs. Thsat's their annual target.

Dear James,

I hope you can help with something which has been worrying me for a while.

The vast majority of Copleston Road has speed bumps on it, which really helps to calm the traffic, apart from a small section north of Avondale Rise. Cars seem to use this section (plus Danby/Choumert) as a cut through to get to Bellenden Road, and they absolutely fly round this corner. As you might know, there's a community centre/church there and on a weekend it can get very busy with children playing. We've also had several cats killed on this stretch of road by speeding cars.

Is there any chance we could get speed bumps along all of this section to try and slow the cars down a bit? (before something more serious than a cat gets hurt)

Thank you

Kim

Hi Kim,

Most years the council has a capital funding stream called Cleaner, Greener, Safer. Full humps costs around ?1,800 each, need to be placed every 50m, and require community support.

If you email me I'll put you in touch with th council officers that run the scheme so you wil ldefinately be told when it opens next.

To show community support I'd suggest you run a petition asking peolle whether they support it or not. It would add singificant weight if it showed a majority when councillors decide how to allocate funds.

If I can offer any advice please don't hessitate to ask.

Hi david_carnell,

Nick Clegg's pledge for universal Free School Meals (FSM) for the first three years of school life and then gradually increasing it cover all reception to year 6. FAB.

I used to be more than wary of this idea. I don't think it has any impact on obesity as some claim. But in my mind it helps with social justice and making family lives that bit simpler.

This is why in Southwark Lib Dems have pledged to keep universal FSM.

The one fly in all this. The Pupil Premium has been incredibly successful. Extra ?1,300 given to schools for each deprived child using the definition of claiming free school meals. Where universal FSM has been rolled out the numbers claiming FSM has fallen sharply - not surprising - clipping significant Pupil Premium sums from some school budgets. So we'll need a way of accurately assessing where Pupil Premium funds should go.

James - I was always wary about the Free School meals in Southwark's primary schools for various reasons. One of the questions I put to the last ED labour candidates was success may need to be made in measure of wastage. Kids can be very fussy eaters and waste food - so free meals does not always mean the food is going in the stomachs of the kids.

Is there any feedback from the schools as whether the free meals have a high or low 'wastage/swill bin'?

Hi Pugwash,

Universal Free School Meals will be reviewed at a scutiny committee late October chaired by Cllr David Hubber.

He has agreed to ask questions to answer your query. So it will be some time before I can accurately answer.

Regards james.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James - I was always wary about the Free School

> meals in Southwark's primary schools for various

> reasons. One of the questions I put to the last ED

> labour candidates was success may need to be made

> in measure of wastage. Kids can be very fussy

> eaters and waste food - so free meals does not

> always mean the food is going in the stomachs of

> the kids.

> Is there any feedback from the schools as whether