former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Sadly I don't have the authority to get to the bottom of what happened, but it looks to me from the outside like Southwark Planning dropped the ball along the line.

If this is indeed the case and nothing can be done to prevent the suspected new configuration, then I can think of two strategic ways around this...

Firstly, if councillors approve my CGS bid in order to allocate enough funding to redesign the junction of Chesterfield and Melbourne (subject to consultation), then a new design could bring the corners together enough to make crossing much safer for pedestrians while implementing traffic calming measures in such a way that larger lorries are prevented from entering Chesterfield from Melbourne by having their turning ratios narrowed enough so that they can't turn the corner. Cutting this route off would make it inevitable that M&S would have to load from Lordship Lane.

Secondly, if they are indeed building 10 flats, then they may be obliged to pay some form of Section 106/CIL contribution.

It would then be useful if negotiations could encourage the developer to buy out the car wash on Chesterfield with a view towards opening up the entrance to the back of the new development in a way that access and deliveries wouldn't affect local Chesterfield residents.

I seem to remember that the land that the car wash is using used to belong to the council, but I don't know whether they are renting it or have sold it off to the car wash people.

Either option on its own, or both together, would go a long way towards addressing the issues which are clearly developing.

James made his announcement in The January edition of SE22 magazine.

What were local schoolchildren doing visiting the building site??? Anyhow, that is an aside I am still interested to know how the info got out, where and when? What is Planning's reaction to this clear breach flouting of policy. Are we really meant to go begging for the ear of M&S' CEO? Is this how local planning decisions are now being made?

Robin, thanks for your reply and thoughts. Even approaching from the Lordahip Lane end is going to cause major issues with traffic, especially as we suspect there is no room on the site for vehicles to turn, meaning they will have to reverse out.

Isn't it extraordinary how many times planning/ councillors have managed to drop the ball on this one...what slippery hands they must have.

BTW, I don't think the Council own the carwash, the land is privately owned and eventually surely a site rip for another massive four storey build...after all, precedent will be sent and councillors will wring their hands exclaiming there is nothing they can do.

Hi Alex K,

Thanks. Will keep plugging away for East Dulwich residents.

Hi Rosetta,

I don't know yet and will find out.

Hi ITATM, first mate,

What ball regarding M&S do you think I've dropped?

I've called-in decisions, objected, encouraged others to object to various things proposed for the Iceland site.

The government has made it much harder for planning authorities and the council hasn't provided in my opinion sufficient resources for planning to be as effective as it needs to be. The planning dice are well and truly loaded against residents these days.

Hi rch,

Yes, I think that change is long over due - I made the same application several years ago but we were unable to agree it with the then Village ward councillors.

James,

One application got through on a technicality that, allegedly, had not been anticipated/ understood by anyone in planning or those that sit on planning committees, leaving anyone with a decision making capacity with "tied hands" then, more recently, after a further application was called in, another vital deadline was somehow missed by all those with the power to influence proceedings, thereby enabling the developers to proceed...that is what I mean. And I feel sure that if one were to dig deeper we might find other areas where ther have been "butter fingers" episodes.

Oh well, blame the govt and loaded dice if you will.

Hi James... the problem with the Melbourne/Chesterfield junction reconfiguration in the past is that, when it went to consultation, the turnout was very low with a 50/50 response, so officers were minded not to spend the money. But I do think the split ward aspect had a lot to do with the poor consultation result. FYI, I remained neutral, telling officers that I would let them decide.

But, when I talked to residents during the Anti-Barrier campaign last summer, the feeling of most of the residents on both side of the border was that this junction redesign could solve a multitude of issues including the perceived traffic problems.

So, this is why I submitted the CGS bid, so that it could be looked at again as per the 300 signature petition asking for more sensible solutions than a barrier on Melbourne Grove... whether the idea works or not or even passes another consultation is up to how the engineers recommend that the design is configured.

First Mate... I'm trying to think of a way that we can address certain planning issues down here in view of the Tooley Street dropped balls. I haven't had the time or the authority to concertedly look at specific issues (planning used to be a specialty of mine), but I'm wondering if we could try to get The Dulwich Society's planning committee to help us out on applications relating to heritage issues in East Dulwich, as a constituted group has more of a voice than a handful of residents. Normally the Dulwich Society doesn't cross over the Village ward border (which is Melbourne Grove at the moment), but maybe we can ask them to make an exception in certain circumstances?

It's too late for the M&S application, but let's think about it in the future...

Uh-oh, I'll probably get in trouble for my colourful choice of words again!

I don't have the authority to get to the bottom of anything, but I suspect that we should prepare ourselves for an increasing amount of bad management in local government to be blamed on "budget cuts" in the future. As an ex-company director, I was always quite shocked at the amount of public money that was wasted due to sheer incompetence during my eight years as an elected councillor, with virtually no accountability.

I therefore strongly feel that we are increasingly going to have to look after ourselves down here in a more pro-active manner... we just need to identify the best way of doing this.

Hi first Mate,

You do seem rather harsh towards me.

If you look at my voting record on Planning Committees you could not me of being part of 'impotent alliance of Planning and Councillors'. I have often had tough conditions added to officers recommended conditions for planning permissions, voted against planning officers recommendations and called-in more planning permissions to be decided by a planning committee rather than left for officers to decide than all other councillors since 2006 (when I was first elected) than all other councillors collectively.

James you mention calling in planning applications. But what happened when you called in the M&S application? I've asked you the question 3/4 times in the last month or so on both this and the M&S thread, and you have not responded to me at all.

To re-iterate a point I made earlier, it does seem as if you have distanced yourself from this issue. Previously you were extremely vocal and involved. Not any more. What's changed?

Anyway, I don't consider this a personal issue at all. You represent the council, and therefore people direct their questions (and sometimes frustration) at you. Moving forward......

1. Have the planning department been made aware by you or anyone else, of this contravention (the 10 flats)? Do you know if they plan to do anything about it?

2. I'm sure you can appreciate that it is extremely concerning for local residents that they can just do this (and likely get away with it). It makes me think to the future when M&S are in - will they too disregard the delivery conditions implemented by the planning committee? and if they do, will the council have the ability and will to do anything about it?

Many thanks

James, I am sorry you feel that way and have little doubt that many will rush to your defence and probably attack me, but the fact remains that in terms of this particular development we, the residents affected, have been badly let down by the system and those who operate within it as our representatives. As a matter of interest, and assuming you have followed your advice to us, will you share the letter of objection to the M&S CEO and his reply?

Hi first mate,

I agree the system has let you down.

The system in Southwark has been lead by Southwark Labour since May 2010. I can only do so much within this system.

Hi XIX,

I DO NOT represent the council. I represent the people of East Dulwich and Southwark to the council and try shaping what the council does as an opposition councillor. I haven't distanced myself - I have been representing residents complaints. But they have the planning permissions bar the sub station they need and I have been trying to ensure the building works are done more considerately.

1. I have alerted them.

2. We will need to be vigilant about the conditions being followed. I hope after having one legal notice served on the developers as a result of a complaint where I represented some residents that they'll be sensible to avoid more of this.

James, to be clear, do the developers at the M&S site now have permission to build 10 flats?

Do they have permission to build two penthouses on a fourth storey (their appears to be structures in place for a fourth storey)?

Can you confirm status of each?

If permissions for above are not in place what actions will Planning take? If the Developers go ahead and build without permissions and in contravention of planning policy, what will be done?

Can you also confirm if permission for a sub station is in process/ likely to be granted? If not, what happens next?

If we find out that large delivery vehicles cannot turn to exit from the site, but instead have to reverse out, what actions will be taken? Multiple planning applications were passed on the basis that there would be room for vehicles to turn on site.

You advised residents to write letters of objection to M&S. Have you, or will you, be writing to M&S CEO on residents behalf?

I am sure you will agree that the above are important questions, we cannot accept that developers are free to operate in direct contravention of planning policy.

Finally, please don't make this into a party political thing. You are our elected representative and therefore the most appropriate person to engage on these matters.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 2. We will need to be vigilant about the

> conditions being followed. I hope after having one

> legal notice served on the developers as a result

> of a complaint where I represented some residents

> that they'll be sensible to avoid more of this.

What on earth makes you think that? Surely if they had ANY good intentions they would have been observing the rules in the first place! One legal notice about one occasion will not make a blind bit of difference.

Yes you can slap yourself on that back about this but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Ignorance can't be claimed by the builders OR M&S...

James, seeing as you've openly acknowledged Southwark Council have failed to do things properly, how far are you at making an official complaint about planning on behalf of those (residents) that have been let down?

You have said that you represent the people and not the Council...

James ,no word from me about balls being dropped .

Firstmate repeatedly asks pertinent questions to which I also would like answers/clarification .

I'm horrified to think that a building might be progressing without proper planning consent . I have been directly affected by several planning applications made over the last 20 years . I'm seeing a big increase in errors on Southwark's on line planning documentation .One recently where it was impossible to tell whether permission had been granted or refused - because the officer's recommendation had been rejected and the paper work not ammended before putting on line . I'm also seeing reversals of previous decisions with no substantial change in plans .

So all in all I'm pretty worried about planning decisions and feel that now ,more than ever ,residents and councillors need to do all they can to keep on top of applications and projects .

As for planning conditions and there enforcement - the process seems no more than window dressing . I'm sure many of us have examples of how inadequate enforcement are , Crawthew Grove anyone ?

Hi James. Are there any regulations regarding tree planting in the borough? We have had for 2 or 3 years a small live Christmas tree and think it may now need somewhere in the ground to allow it to survive and hopefully flourish. We were thinking of Sydenham Woods. Any idea if we can do this?