former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I wonder if there has been a bit of a change of practice at Veolia recently as I've also been having (different) problems for the last few weeks. I always pull our bin to the edge of our property on the day the bin is due to be emptied, but our blue recycling bin collection has been missed twice now apparently because "the bin men have to pull your bin out onto the street, it isn't left on street for them" so they apparently won't collect it any more.

Everything on the Southwark website only talks about the bin having to be on the edge of your property, nothing about it having to be in the street, so this seems to be a new requirement. Feels like a great way to signal to a burglar that I'm not at home. Oddly enough, no problem getting the green bin collected from and returned to the edge of our property.

I am at the stage where I'm just going to stop using the recycling bin, which is a shame as we do try to recycle a lot.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James

>

> Hope you had a great holiday.

>

> I am having problems with the recycling people

> chucking my small brown bin into my small front

> garden after emptying it, and each week aiming it

> at the same place and breaking more and more off

> the same terracotta pot and flowers.

>

> This has been going on for four weeks now, despite

> the fact that there is a clear and separate place

> where my bins including this bin are kept.

>

> I have emailed you about it, as I want to complain

> to the council, but I wonder whether anybody else

> is having similar problems?

I have discovered this morning that it is not the people emptying my brown bin who are doing this, but the people emptying my green bin (and presumably the blue bin as well as it happens every week).

This week they have excelled themselves as in throwing the brown bin into my garden they have broken the bin. And they have left my neighbour's green bin in my garden as well as my own. At least that hasn't broken any pots or plants.

I have found the contact details for Veolia in Devon Street. Is that who I need to get in touch with, or the council?

hi james,

I wanted to bring something to your attention.

There is a lamppost on Whateley Rd, just outside the new Harris school which is leaning to one side.

It is currently in a seriously dangerous position.

Please check it out before somebody gets hurt.

Thanks

James,

TheM&S build seems to be getting larger and larger. My understanding was the ground floor would be extended and then the three floors maintained in their existing space and footprint (possibly with 4th floor penthouses above) but large sections of the ground floor. Now seem to be two stories high.

Have you visited this site recently and seen how the build is progressin? I'd be interested to know if the build is of the dimensions you expected from the plans?

Hi first mate,

I've not viewed the site for a couple of weeks. I'll pop along on Sunday.

Hi sweetgirl,

Thanks. I reported it earlier this week. I'll check at the weekend if corrected.

Hi Sue,

For Veolia not undertaking work correctly for Southwark Council then you should contact Southwark Council. Either via 020 7525 2000 or email [email protected] or go online or ping me an email.

I had concerns raised that lots of extra parking tickets since the New Year have been issued in Lordship Lane.

Checking with the head of parking 20 have been raised April 2015 until end of March 2016. or roughly 1.6 per month.

If anyone feels this isn't correct from their direct experiences please get in touch.

James Barber Wrote:

>

> Hi Sue,

> For Veolia not undertaking work correctly for

> Southwark Council then you should contact

> Southwark Council. Either via 020 7525 2000 or

> email [email protected] or go online or

> ping me an email.

Thanks James.

I did email you on 31 March, and attached some pics?

I'll copy you in to the email to the council.

Hi Lynne,

Hmm, not casework I've come across before.

General principle is vehicles that legally can be on the road are entitled to be on no Controlled Parking Zone roads.

If some is living in the caravan then I would expect different rules to apply.

Please email me if that is the case.

I think people rarely parking them on roads as they're expensive and relatively easy to steal from the public highway. I think you'll find that's the reasons you rarely see it.

James Barber Wrote:

>

>

> Hi Rosetta,

> I don't know yet and will find out.

>

> James

Still waiting to find out how exemption works for bulk waste collection. Asked you four months ago....thank you.

Hi Rosetta,

I've had an email back today from the head of service.

The decision to charge for Bulk Waste Collections ?16 were referred back to the cabinet councillor to consider the impacts of the poor and those on benefits. How will they find ?16 especially as fewer are thought to have access to a vehicles to drive their bulk waste to the tip as suggested as an alternative to having it collected.

The cabinet councillor reconsidered and has decided to make NO exceptions.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get a definitive answer on this Rosetta. Pretty depressing. We have a tory govt and now a Labour council giving the poor such a hard time.

Hi first mate,

I've rechecked the M&S approved plans and latest planning application to replace handrails with a brick parapet.

The approved plans have a stair case box structure brick fronted going from ground to 1st floor and a little higher from what I understand of the plans. That's to the right as you look from Chesterfield Grove to Lordship Lane. To the left at 1st floor large louvred aircon plant above the high ground floor.

I think that's what you're seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

Please can you update us as to the situation with the old garden centre site next to the station. This has been going on too long. Would we be wrong to infer that:

1. The project has ground to a halt because Morrisons are no longer interested in taking a retail unit;

2. The new library will not be built;

3. Those hoardings blocking much of the pavement will not be removed any time soon?

Hi BNG,

Yes I also feel exasperated.

Suspect yes to 1.

I doubt the developer would drop the library as that would require 35% social housing instead.

Doubt the developer would wish to spend money moving hoarding to the land they own.

They've recently asked for minor amendments to their scheme to ameliorate construction inflation- straightening lines, making things more regular to reduce construction effort.

Hi The ArtfulDogger,

Cameras are part of traffic study. Review the route particular cars take as well as the count and speeds at fixed points. All normal stuff that have been done before on several occasions.

Hi Mrs D,

No update yet. But a recent study really points to how after school clubs can make a material difference for poorer kids overall education results. So keen we see more. The recent research might encourage schools to use some pupil premium to make more happen.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi The ArtfulDogger,

> Cameras are part of traffic study.

Review the route particular cars take as well as the count

> and speeds at fixed points.

All normal stuff that have been done before on several occasions.

The cameras are clearly labelled that the Cannot identify car registration plates (I.E. Particular Cars)

DulwichFox

Dear James

In terms of the old garden centre site who is the developer ? I know originally it was the St Aidan's group / Ivan Bateman.as I understand no it St Aidan's group liquidated its assets. Is the design the original plan that that St Aidan's proposed but just modified ? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but given the horrid situation that has occurred with Solomans passage and the flats having to be demolished after only 6 years ( see Solomans passage thread)I am concerned that everything possible be done at this point to ensure no further families are impacted by shoddy design.

Dear James

Do you think there's any possibility of the cycle hire scheme being extended further into Southwark? I haven't heard anything on this in a while and can't find anything about it in the mayoral candidates' manifestos.

This article (http://www.citymetric.com/transport/why-south-east-london-doesnt-have-boris-bikes-805) seems to suggest that Southwark Council would need to stump up ?2 million. Is it just about the money, or is there some other reason why our corner of London has been excluded from the scheme?

Thanks

thc