former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

James, a small refuse related query if I may. I returned from holiday on 5 January and noticed multiple Southwark blue bags of leaves (presumably swept up by Southwark street cleaning staff) outside 10/12 and 28/30 Derwent Grove. They are still there today, a fortnight later. I rang the Council last week and was told they would be collected asap but the routine refuse collection team left them there again this morning. It is only a minor issue but I'd be grateful if you could chase this (passers-by are starting to treat both piles of bags as a general refuse heap and are adding items of their own). Many thanks.

James, the application by the developer to get their fourth storey penthouses is currently being looked at so it is a current concern for those living next to it, though I know you welcome the development.

Again, is it not faintly shocking that the developer just goes ahead and puts in part of the structure before the decision is even in? The building itself is also as ugly as can be. I also gather that the proposed substation, to be sited outside, should legally be inside the new build. What a farce.

Hi first mate,

I welcome the idea of an anchor store provider to East Dulwich such as M&S. But I don't welcome M&S extending the current Iceland store or reducing choice by replacing Iceland or the over development of the site. Hence my numerous objections to their planning applications.

I believe you understand my position so I'm baffled why you present it differently on this thread.

Hi ITATM,

Planning Enforcement has been scaled back by the current administration. When Lib Dems started leading the council in 2002 we found Planning Enforcement was a contractor 3 hours per week. Barely able to keep up with the paperwork let alone undertake any investigations. It appears the current administration is heading back to those bad old days.

I'll try and find exactly what resources they currently and will have going forward.

James, I had thought you were broadly in favour of the whole development bar the fourth storey? If this is not the case, and I am not aware of your many official objections, I apologise.

That said, accurate and timely information on the fourth storey would be most welcome, not least if it is to go through, as the current structures seem to suggest. Is this also going to amount to a planning time out and also go through on a technicality?

So we do, by your account, have a planning dept that is not fit for purpose. Unable to meet deadlines and insufficient staff to undertake enforcement. No wonder developers are getting carte blanche. I don't think it helps though to, again, make it a party political point. It may help you somewhere along the line, but it doesn't help local residents.

• 3 weeks later...

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Alex K,

> Thanks. Will keep plugging away for East Dulwich

> residents.

>

> Hi Rosetta,

> I don't know yet and will find out.

>

> Hi ITATM, first mate,

> What ball regarding M&S do you think I've

> dropped?

> I've called-in decisions, objected, encouraged

> others to object to various things proposed for

> the Iceland site.

> The government has made it much harder for

> planning authorities and the council hasn't

> provided in my opinion sufficient resources for

> planning to be as effective as it needs to be.

> The planning dice are well and truly loaded

> against residents these days.

>

> Hi rch,

> Yes, I think that change is long over due - I made

> the same application several years ago but we were

> unable to agree it with the then Village ward

> councillors.

Hello James

Any news about this query?

The Boundary Commission has issued its draft proposals for changing ward boundaries https://www.lgbce.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/27625/Southwark-draft-recommendations-2016-02-09.pdf

Maps of the proposals here:

https://www.lgbce.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/27628/Southwark_D_Sht1_SO.pdf

For East Dulwich the name is changed to Goose Green shifted north, extended west and broadly stops at Barry Road and SE are moved to new Dulwich Hills ward. Largely as Labour proposed. Not clear why East Dulwich name is such a problem.

New ward Half Moon ward proposed the area of Southwark closest to Herne Hill. This is as I proposed and hopefully would give that area the focus it hasn't had over the years.

College ward is shrunk shedding some to the new Dulwich Hills and changing names to Dulwich Woods.

Village Ward become Dulwich Village.

Do take a look and feed back to the boundary people what you think via [email protected]

And view all the info - https://www.lgbce.org.uk/current-reviews/greater-london/southwark

I have to be honest I do feel a strong emotional affinity to representing East Dulwich.

It's better than when these guys told me I lived in Bellenden Ward.

They don't know the location of Dulwich Hill.

The gerrymandered Nunhead boundary has been sorted.

I've never known a local ward named after a pub before.

Goose Green ward recovers some of East Dulwich proper.

John K

Not clear why East Dulwich name is such a problem. Possibly because the two proposed new wards (Goose Green and Dulwich Hill) actually describe what most people consider to be 'core' ED together. I would guess that most people living in either ward would describe themselves as living in East Dulwich. So, if ED is spread over two wards, calling just one of them ED might be seen as too particular.

Dulwich HIlls historically I understand was the area around Sunray Avenue/Red Post Hill. Not ideal to make new names up contrary to local history. Not sure why came up with the name.

So rather than Dulwich Hills ward perhaps East Dulwich Hills ward a new name would work.

I don't think in our multicultural world naming wards after pubs or places of worship inclusive.