former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi James,

I'm hoping you can help solve this problem. Recently there has been an increase in noise during anti-social hours coming from HSS Hire in the Goose Green trading estate. The have stock deliveries/exchanges very early in the morning, which is really disruptive. They are mostly between 06:00 and 06:30, which is bad enough, but have only a few days been as early as 05:00.

I have phoned the branch manager and emailed their customer services who said they'd look into it, but nothing has changed. I've been told that they outsource their distribution to a company called Unipart Transport, but I have no contact details for them.

Yours sincerely

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

theron2 Wrote as did Asset.

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James

>

> The road where I live has been closed off this

> week to allow Alleyns school contractors to

> deliver some temporary classrooms with the aid of

> an enormous crane. Yesterday one of the large

> lorries delivering the classrooms knocked a

> traffic road sign and it is bent at an angle of

> forty-five degrees across the pedestrian crossing

> where Hillsboro Road joins East Dulwich Grove. I

> reported it directly to Southwark council.

>

> Today another lorry has damaged one of our

> roadside trees quite badly. Can you advise how we

> can complain and rectify, or how we can log these

> as complaints. Alleyns has a big programme of

> works coming up with buildings being demolished

> and another new building project starting. I have

> taken some photos and will send them to you via

> email?

>

> We residents of Hillsboro Road and the nearby area

> have had a few problems caused by the contractors

> used by Alleyns over the last couple of years, and

> despite several complaints being raised, Alleyns

> have done nothing to put right these problems or

> prevent them occuring.

Apologies for not giving feedback sooner - just back from holidays.

After reporting it to planning enforcement and the school bursar I have been assured they investigated on the 5 August and ensured the 6-8 August works started at an acceptable time.

IF you have any further issues around works outside the accepted 8am-6pm Mon-Fri and Sat 8am-1pm please email me directly so I can help you.

Hi James

I train regularly with the Peckham Rye Fitness Squad. This is a group of locals that meet up and run free park exercises daily at 10am for the public. It is worth noting that training/classes are completely free and encourages participation from any members of the public that wish to improve their fitness. On each day there are at least 10 people who attend and train using the outdoor gym, in particular the pull up bar as well as the dip bars. As I understand it some of the members have already attempted to contact the council to discuss/complain about two issues:

1) The current dip bars have been installed poorly by the council and are way too wide for the true dip exercise to be completed. The distance between the bars does not match up to the industry standard - the workmen have installed this poorly.(See attached picture) The group themselves have already said they would be happy to pay for the rework needed to get this done right.

2) The group who have been going for a good few years really wish for further pull up bars / rigs to be installed into this area. This has been voiced previously to the council - however to the group's dismay a new cycle machine has been installed which 1) does not effectively work (the wheels are stiff) 2) nobody seems to use this machine at all

It would be great if you could make it down one day in the week or weekend to have a chat with some of the members if free and see first hand the good community work that is being achieved through fitness.

If this is not possible could the newly installed machine be removed and be replaced with more pull up bars/rig equipment (similar to that in Kennington Park) and could the dip bars be moved closer together as per industry standard?

I'e attached pictures so you can get a better idea of the issues at hand.

PS here is the link to the instagram account of the group so you see how they train and what equipment is used

https://www.instagram.com/peckhamryesquad/

The group looks forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards

Chet

Hello! Haven't been through the whole thread but my concern is about speed limit. Despite the 20mph people are driving very fast and sometimes can be even dangerous. I live in Melbourne Grove and this is a big problem.

What can be done?

What about having some police random check?

THanks

pr5ined Wrote:

> Hi James

>

> I train regularly with the Peckham Rye Fitness

> Squad. This is a group of locals that meet up and

> run free park exercises daily at 10am for the

> public. It is worth noting that training/classes

> are completely free and encourages participation

> from any members of the public that wish to

> improve their fitness. On each day there are at

> least 10 people who attend and train using the

> outdoor gym, in particular the pull up bar as well

> as the dip bars. As I understand it some of the

> members have already attempted to contact the

> council to discuss/complain about two issues:

>

> 1) The current dip bars have been installed poorly

> by the council and are way too wide for the true

> dip exercise to be completed. The distance between

> the bars does not match up to the industry

> standard - the workmen have installed this

> poorly.(See attached picture) The group themselves

> have already said they would be happy to pay for

> the rework needed to get this done right.

>

> 2) The group who have been going for a good few

> years really wish for further pull up bars / rigs

> to be installed into this area. This has been

> voiced previously to the council - however to the

> group's dismay a new cycle machine has been

> installed which 1) does not effectively work (the

> wheels are stiff) 2) nobody seems to use this

> machine at all

>

> It would be great if you could make it down one

> day in the week or weekend to have a chat with

> some of the members if free and see first hand the

> good community work that is being achieved through

> fitness.

>

> If this is not possible could the newly installed

> machine be removed and be replaced with more pull

> up bars/rig equipment (similar to that in

> Kennington Park) and could the dip bars be moved

> closer together as per industry standard?

>

> I'e attached pictures so you can get a better idea

> of the issues at hand.

>

> PS here is the link to the instagram account of

> the group so you see how they train and what

> equipment is used

> https://www.instagram.com/peckhamryesquad/

>

> The group looks forward to hearing back from you.

>

> Best regards

> Chet

The open air gym in Peckham Rye Park is in Cllrs Mills, Edwards & Dr.Hamvas's Peckham Rye ward. Try them.

elln Wrote:

> Hello! Haven't been through the whole thread but

> my concern is about speed limit. Despite the 20mph

> people are driving very fast and sometimes can be

> even dangerous. I live in Melbourne Grove and this

> is a big problem.

> What can be done?

> What about having some police random check?

>

> THanks

Last I heard the police won't support the 20 mile restriction

And I have to say I agree with them

singalto Wrote:

> Curmudgeon, Pellatt rd is a real rat run too. I

> would like it tackled...

Totally understandable and as it is a Southwark restriction it should be adhered to. But that doesn't mean that there is the financial ability, human resources or will to enforce in the police force when they have other priorities

This is on the Southwark site http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/11918/20mph_speed_limit_faq

This was the mets position in 2014 http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7716

Interesting to see if there has been any progression on discussions

The police did a speed monitoring session on Melbourne Grove last summer and found no evidence of speeding, so they aren't keen to designate reduced resources to this area again.

I volunteer regularly on the Community Roadwatch speed monitoring sessions on Barry Road and the hill coming down Lordship Lane, where there are measurable speeding issues. So, I'll ask them again to consider a Melbourne session, but don't hold your breath.

As a resident of Melbourne Grove for 30 years now, I regularly witness (and report) road rage incidents and car damage caused by the narrowness of the road creating passing problems, but despite the fact that we got a 300 signature petition signed to try to get the genuine problems looked at, no one from the council will work with us, so no one trusts the feasibility study that was produced.

Instead, it appears that councillors have raised funding to upgrade the speed cushions on Melbourne to full width humps, which won't actually address the problems, so most of us have given up trying to solve the actual problems and are now trying to protect our homes from potential vibrational damage.

The pavement outside Jade (145 Lordship Lane) and around that area is very poor; it's cracked and whenever we get a reasonably heavy downpour it ponds. Can't the uneven bits just be filled in with concrete to be made level. It won't be pretty but it's better than having two inch puddles along an already narrow bit of footpath.

Hi rch,

I think no one is sharing a common definition of "speed issue". You suggest that Melbourne Grove (south) doesn't have a speed issue when clearly around 15% of vehicles using it are speeding. To you that's not an issue. To other residents there it is.

But Id like to take part so please keep me posted when it operating please.

Hi Nigello,

Let me try getting that fixed.

Hi Sally Eva,

Useful scheme that has had an impact elsewhere in the country. Might have less impact here because over half the traffic we have stats and finishes outside the area. So lees likely to feel peer pressure from this which is had been found a key aspect. Still worth doing though.

James, with the training I've had over the years by the police, I'm aware that the 15% reference is being used out of context, which is a significant reason why the genuine attempts to address the real issues over the years keep failing.

Hi Chet,

I'm a Peckham Rye Ward Councillor, the equipment falls into my patch,

unfortunately my Southwark email is not working at the moment. Thanks for raising the issue with the bars I will pass your comments onto a senior council officer and hopefull we can get this sorted out. In terms of additional/new equipment for the fitness area, I would suggest that when we have the next round of Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding that the group puts in an application.

Kind regards

Renata

James, I have noticed that the brown paper sacks for extra garden refuse usually available in libraries are in short supply.

As we are coming into the season for garden clearance, please would you confirm that there is no plan to phase these bags out.

I would be happy to pay for them, but do hope that they will be available in the future, it is difficult to dispose of all the year's growth in the garden otherwise if you do not have transport.

A staff memberat the library told me that the new five-per-person limit was because there was a shortage of bags from the manufacturers. The library person told me that some people would come back to try to get more - another ten, the old (extravagant) limit - or say they were picking up for a housebound relative.

Hi Nigello,

I popped in on Saturday and asked for brown bags. Given 5 and asked for more and given another 5. This was Grove Vale library.

Hi 73jem,

Southwark announced plans some months ago to charge for them. I wonder if they're running them down in preparation for that. Get them free while you can.

I'll also ask again for more to be supplied to both our local libraries.

EDIT: Add link to Southwark Council plans to charge for brown bags when bottom of page 3 -http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s59730/Appendix%204%20Waste%20Services%20fees%20and%20charges.pdf

at rate of ?7.50 for 10 down bags. This was meant to start 1 April this year - but I've yet to be charged for this. Looks like a daft decision the council hasn't been stupid to implement....yet.

hi rich,

I'm bemused. Traffic speed analysed to see what 85% of vehicles doing. Just because 85% may be closed to the speed limit doesn't mean the other 15% speeding should be ignored. Can you imagine such an attitude to GBH or worse. Speeding vehicles much higher chance of causing death or serious injury. The 85% of vehicles going 15-20 stand only a tiny chance of killing. Those doing 25-35mph stand only a small chance of not being killed or maimed as well as less time to dodge and not be hit.

Hi Rosetta,

Currently I do not believe any restrictions of professional dog walkers are in place. All our bye-laws around dogs date from 1996. Subsequent bye-laws 2007/8 didn't relate to dog issues.

BUT a Dog Survey was undertaken and I've yet to the results. I do believe Southwark Council is proposing a professional dog licence fee. Let me get the results f the dog survey and do some more digging.

Rosetta Wrote:

> James,

>

> Can you confirm whether or not dog walkers need a

> license to walk dogs 'professionally' as in for

> money in Southwark parks etc. Also, how many are

> they allowed to walk?