former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. A couple of questions:

- How long had the existing entry treatment been in situ? As you can see from the first the other thread, it was in excellent condition (looked practically new).

- How much (ball park figure) do these things cost to implement?

- What was the intended lifespan when initially installed?

- How do we assess value for money when considering these building works?

Hi roadworrier,

From memory these entry treatments had been there a number of years. The planned changes should reduce the number of crashes at this junction and importantly make it feel safer as well. The cost of crashes is very high - so the payback for these changes will be prompt.

However, Southwark are the only UK to use specific blocks imported from Eire. That the supply is lagging. so they will need to temporarily use tarmac and then come back a couple of months later and finish the works with the intended materials. This is frustrating and adds expense. Also, I'm not sure why we can't have blocks from the UK, keep the cash and employment in the UK and reduce our carbon footprint. I will follow up on this.

Hello James

I am not sure if you can help but I thought I'd bring something to your attention. My family as well as other families in ED have been dealing with a lot of issues in our communication with the school admissions staff. In short they give contradictory and inaccurate information, say that they would call and never do and we also know for a fact that lists are not updated as quickly as it should making the whole process even more painful and frustrating than it needs to be.

Renata Hamvas is very helpful, I just thought that if they get some pressure from multiple sources they may actually sort things out quicker.

(I am happy to supply specific examples but perhaps over PM and not on the forum).

Thanks for listening, Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

James, I trust you've seen this thread about Conway moving cars from East Dulwich Grove:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1354789

They also put up a sign outside our house when replacing a drain cover and also had the wrong date on that. Luckily, we were away and weren't affected.

It seems to me that there's something rotten at the heart of Southwark Council's relationship with Conway - and it's the resdients who suffer. Is there any way examples of their incompetence and worse can be collated to make a serious challenge to their status as Sothwark's 'favourite' contractor? I live in hope more than expectation...

Hi James,

I'm sure you've seen a couple of threads discussing North Cross Road Market and 'where has it gone?'. A lot of people seem to have noticed it not as full as it could be, myself included, which is why when I phoned southwark council for an application pack to have a stall I was rather shocked when told it was full, only to wander down there last friday and there was only one stall. I think it should be looked into who has an allocated spot and isn't using it. It's not helping a really nice market to be half empty all the time when other people want to be there.

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa,

Friday is not the day when most stalls are there. Saturday is the day when most of the stalls are there. Perhaps the people who have Saturday stalls are also allowed to go on Friday, but choose not to, hence the gaps on that day.

James today the Hadley Group who now own the DHFC stadium have announced their desire to redevelop the area. They have sent out a 'community newsletter' that has been delivered around the neighbourhood.

It states "as currently configured the facilities cannot continue to support the Club and a change in the layout and footprint of the buildings is needed. There is an opportunity to provide a new stadium and to invest in the open space located around the stadium."

Although not explicitely named there is a handy map on the other side highlighting just how much space there is behind the club on the Greendale Playing Fields.

They state that they have engaged architects Farrells to liease with Southwark Council. Has there been any change in the position of the council/councillors surrounding redevelopment and expansion of this site?

Hi milk76,

I'm not aware of any council change but usually such developers talk to council officials and councillors in the political group leading the council - Labour currently - to agree a way forward.

I'll make enquiries.

Hi lisaloulou84,

Would you be willing to run a stall on Fridays?

If so I'll find out why a potential stallholder wishing to use both days is being denied the opportunity.

James,

I would be willing to run a stall on both days. I sent 3 emails requesting application pack which were all ignored and when I eventually called I was told both days were full. I've noticed in recent weeks the market is getting smaller and smaller even on saturdays. I am in the process of purchasing a van, and its a new business with no commitments in other areas yet so would be willing to be there both Friday and Saturday every week, regardless of the weather!

PDF version of the Hadley Greendale "Newsletter" up on the Friends of DKH Wood website:

http://www.friendsofdkhwood.org/2014/07/plans-for-greendale/

Also a callout to anyone wanting to get involved in a "Friends of Greendale" group:

http://keepinggreendalegreen.tumblr.com/

Labour's stance in the past has always been "no encroachment on MOL" re the Greendale. Let's see what Hadley, Four COmmunications (the hired PR company) and Farrells come up with on the 19th.

Hi James,

Since you sit on a planning committee can you shed any light on why the latest planning report for the proposed M&S development appears to be greenlighting the submission, contradicting earlier reports which recommended refusal based on resident objections which were upheld? Why the apparent u-turn?

James,

In addition to First Mate's question:

We have met on Chesterfield Grove and discussed the M&S proposal. You said that you could see little reason why it could not take deliveries from Lordship Lane, just as Co-Op currently does. This would alleviate many of the problems associated with the planning application. As you have a seat on the planning committee, will you be pushing for this to be seriously considered?

Many thanks

Hi cl,

I'm not a member of Planning Sub-Committee B which will decide this application on Tuesday evening. But as per my objection to this application, request with my ward colleague Cllr Rosie Shimell to call this decision into a planning committee if officers were minded to recommended approval which they are, and attend as a ward councillor at the committee to speak about this planning application.

Hi first mate,

I'm as surprised as you that officers are saying this. Huge volte face with no discernible changes in the proposals. It smacks of a political change of heart by the Labour led council.

If approved this application will generate at least and additional 40 car spaces of parking pressure on Chesterfield Grove and surrounding streets.

Hi lisloulou84,

NCR Market often dips in the summer months as people go on holidays. Stall holders are allow to not be present for a certain number of Fris and Sats but they do seem to all go at the same time. I'll ask the markets team the exact situation.

Just received an email from council officers telling me of a 7" burst water main on Lordship Lane neasr Bew Court.

It must be really bad for such email.

Two-way traffic lights in place. It will take 3-4 days to fix.

Both pavements damaged with western one closed (but due to reopen tomorrow once repaired).

123 homes without water 60 of those in Bew Court but water expected back on imminently.

• 2 weeks later...

The East Dulwich Safer neighburhood Team have asked me to post the following:

"

Can I just bring an operation that I did to your attention. I put together a joint operation together with BTP and the Met police incorporating our drugs dogs at East Dulwich railway station on the 31st July. During this operation we made 3 arrests and gave out several warnings for cannabis. During the operation several of the East Dulwich residents were very inquisitive, I was wondering if you would put an entry on the East Dulwich forum or on your twitter account with regards to the operation and the positive effect it will have on the local area.

The objectives of the operation was so disrupt gang activity and to tackle illegal substances coming into East Dulwich.

In connection to this my team also did a warrant in East Dulwich Grove, where we found a cannabis factory which has now been closed down.

"