former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hello James

I can see that your postbag is bulging at the moment. I did email a little while ago but haven't heard anything back from you yet. That may be because its not absolutely your area, so apologies for raising it again here.

I am trying to find out who, at Southwark Council, I can raise the matter of consistent violation of road markings etc by the foundation school coaches. I realise that this is something that comes up over and over and over again and that the schools are reluctant to obey the rules, despite causing danger to their own pupils as well as pupils from other schools, but I feel that I really would like to try and follow it up.

I am especially concerned with the coaches dropping off at Dulwich Prep on Alleyn Park Road. They often (always?) ppark on the yellow zig zag lines and block the cycle path feeder from Hunts Slip Road causing children to have to come right out into the road and get around the bus.

I've been in touch with the school, the person that organises the coaches and the driver but whilst I've had an acknowledgement of the unsatisfactory situation I have the impression that nothing will change and I'm reluctant to leave it at that.

I know that this isn't your geographical area but you are my local representative and I'd welcome a point in the right direction. Is there a particular department I can contact? Is it a matter for the police (seems a bit extreme)?

Many thanks

Apologies Bawdy-nana,

yes my post bag is bulging.

Can you please ping me again and I'll get cracking sorting the problem out with you.

Missing litter bins.

This is the response I've had from council officers:

"

Thank you for your enquiry dated 6th December concerning missing litter bins from the East Dulwich Area.

On receipt of your enquiry, I requested that the Supervisor check the locations that you have specified.

Please be assured that we have not removed the bins in question but they have unfortunately been removed/stolen by a third party. Over the past seven months we have had at least 12 litter bins stolen from different locations in the East Dulwich Area.

Today I have had all 3 litter bins replaced at the following locations :

? The bus stop on Lordship Lane and Crystal Palace Road .

? The bus stop at the junction of Lordship Lane and Whateley Road.

? The corner of Worlingham Road and East Dulwich Road.

I hope that you are satisfied with this response and if you have any question"

Any other missing litter bins please let me know. Surprised Veolia doesn't spot when they go missing but...

Over the past seven months we have had at least 12 litter bins stolen from different locations in the East Dulwich Area.

Am I the only person who thinks this is astonishing - who on earth steals litter bins on this sort of scale? Lambeth Council trying to bolster its own stocks (not a serious suggestion before anyone leaps on it)? Someone wanting to use them on private grounds?

I just don't get what the perceived benefit is for stealing this many litter bins - are they metal/can they be scrapped - is that it?

I reported lots of graffiti on Sunday 15th December at various locations. Confirmed the following removed earlier today.

? Side wall of 191 Barry Rd

? BT box next to 206 Barry Rd

? Garage door next to 218 Dunstans Rd

? Garage doors next to 52 and 66 Goodrich Rd

? Scaffolding hoarding at 373 Lordship Lane

If you spot graffiti please report it via 020 7525 2000 or [email protected]

James, I see the coalition have reduced the Southwark central government grant by 5.9% for 2015-6 (list of grant reductions announced today are on the bbc news website). This seems like an enormous change for year on year.

From your point of view what are the likely effects of this going to be on local services? Which services are most likely to be cut if the forthcoming council tax review is kept below 2% (as also required unless local referendum) or will Southwark be able to increase its revenue from other sources?

Hi jaywalker,

The government grant is one aspect of the council budget but the council also raise council tax and charges fees. So the actual spending power won't reduce by that amount.

Equally the council is unlikely to increase council tax and instead receives extra grant to encourage no council tax rise.

With each new development the council also receives money from developers. So much that one local park friends group was asked if they wanted ?1M to spend.

Each year the council has been adding ?5M into unallocated reserves. So not doing that would resolve most of this.

Additionally the population of Southwark is rising and many services are a fixed cost but with more homes and council tax and central government spending with more people you can cover those costs more easily. For example the library service. Add a few percent of population every year and in real terms the cost per resident quickly goes down. a number of such services.

Surprisingly with council budget cuts satisfaction with councils has been rising across the country.

So although not something I'd want it isn't quite the bad news story it first appears.

The bigger issue is that's as with 2010 it's clear in 2015 that whoever people vote for further cuts will come and over a number of years. When the economy was booming the prudent act would have been to reduce national debt but instead the then government went on a completely unsustainable spending spree. So we all have to help sort out that pickle and no one enjoys the hard choices that have been taking place for a number of years.

Hope this answer helps allay your concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

Council officers have told me about planned road resurfacing works. Hopefully all residents have been told - if you haven't please let me know:

Fellbrigg Road, between North Cross Road and Whateley Road 8-9 January

Trossachs Road, between Thorncombe Road and Glengarry Road 15 January

Hi James,

Interested to know which Park Friends organisation was offered a million pounds from the Council off the back of developers, if that is what you meant? What was the money being offered for and what was the quid pro quo? When was this offer made and was it accepted or rejected? Who was the developer? More info please.

Hi James

Yesterday a badly printed inkjet leaflet saying cars need to be moved for line marking, today double yellows painted. We've had no notice of this is this for real? It's a back street and it's a struggle to park at the best of times.

Should residents have been notified?

What is the councils logic behind it?

Crystal Palace Road between Crathrew Grove and North Cross Road

Please advise

Hi breadcrum45,

Residents should have had proper notification. The logic is the road is going to be dug up for several weeks for essential utility works. They took this approach on the southern end of Melbourne Grove. When the works are completed they'll burn of the lines.

Hi first mate,

Shouldnt be a problem. The new ED Harris Primary schools isn't near the northern end of CPR. They've only just submitted planning application which wont be decided until after these CPR road works are completed.

Thanks James - yes there was good notice of the Fellbrigg work, though for this to coincide with the double yellows on Crystal Palace Rd is very unfortunate timing from a parking perspective. I wish the council would think these things through.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Council officers have told me about planned road

> resurfacing works. Hopefully all residents have

> been told - if you haven't please let me know:

>

> Fellbrigg Road, between North Cross Road and

> Whateley Road 8-9 January

> Trossachs Road, between Thorncombe Road and

> Glengarry Road 15 January

James Barber Wrote:

> Council officers have told me about planned road

> resurfacing works. Hopefully all residents have

> been told - if you haven't please let me know:

>

> Fellbrigg Road, between North Cross Road and

> Whateley Road 8-9 January

> Trossachs Road, between Thorncombe Road and

> Glengarry Road 15 January

Jusr received a letter about this saying that Trossachs Rd is to be resurfaced ? on January 17th. A Saturday? Really? Incompetent buffoons.

Any further news on the road resurfacing?

The council leaf-blower has just made its stately way along Trossachs Road. Nothing all autumn and now on January 9th? Most of the leaves near us have been compacted into the pavemenbt ? which should prove challenging if we have a big freeze. If I'd known they were going to leave it this farcically late, I'd have swept the leaves myself. It would be nice to know. Ditto if and when it snows.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi BNG,

> I will try and clarify the discrepancy ASAP.

Sorry to bug you, James, but it's only a few days away from the proposed resurfacing. I fear half the road's cars will be towed away given the lack of accurate information.

On the council website, it gives a start date of Jan 15th and an end date of Jan 20th for resurfacing Trossachs Road. That's an impressively long time for a road that's about 120m long. Still, before Christmas, it took them a week to put down about three metres of tarmac on the pavement. Conway give such a great service, don't you think?

More road works:

Frier Road (between Lordship Lane and Etherow Street) 4-5th February not clear why and the diversionary route proposed Upland Road, Goodrich Road and Barry Road clearly won't work for buses. I will try and find out what on earth is going on.

Whateley Road (between Crystal Palace Road and 52 Whateley Road) 6-11 February. Alternative route proposed being North cRoss Road, Ulvfrscroft Road, Landells Road, Silvester Road, Cyrena Road - this really doesn't make sense for the P13 bus route. So again I will try and find out what on earth is going on

Hi BNG,

Still no reopens and haven't had chance to visit - presume works now completed?