former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I find it hard to believe that the junction of Goodrich and Lordship is any less dangerous than that of NX and Lordship. Cars speed down the hill there, not having any crossing or lights between Dulwich Library and Townley Road, and visibility is poor coming out of Goodrich.

Kiera - I absolutely agree about Whateley Rd and Lordship lane and I too got the " I'm dealing with it " response from JB when I asked if the bins could be relocated .

Yesterday while waiting to turn right at this junction the chap behind me ,impatient I assume at the delay ,overtook and roared out into LL causing on coming cars to swerve .( obviously more to do with his mental health than the poor visibilty I know )

Hi ITATM, kiera,

I've a long email chain and phone calls chasing council officials all through this year to remove the guard railing from the pelican crossing close to the Whatelely Road/LL junction. When the railings go the bins will get moved.

It will happen but it has proven much more painful than expected.

Hi Nigello,

I agree but the foot fall of the NXR/LL junction is much higher than the GR/LL junction so naturely it seems prudent it have a higher priority.

Hi Lynne,

Yes, and they promised to investigate.

FYI, as per another thread, I have submitted two CGS revenue bids to have officers look at and assess different aspects of the dysfunctional Whateley/Lordship/Melbourne junction, including having a look at moving the bus stop closer to the crossing (or vice versa) with a view towards consolidating the layout in a more logical manner (especially with a new school being built).

It's absolutely mind-bogglingly complicated getting junction redesigns done, so maybe CGS funding will help to at least look at some of the problem areas...

Oh dear, James, maybe I ought to rethink my usual route! I think the difference is probably that at Goodrich there is often no way you can see anything at all, so people do avoid it. At Heber, you can see down the road a bit, but have to be very careful to look out for cars racing up the inside of vehicles turning right into Townley. I can see how accidents could easily happen to anyone who's not prepared for the stupid speeds some drivers come around that bend.

The Heber/Lordship Lane/Townley Road was next on my list for seeing how we can reduce crashes. But I think it will take a lot of money to fix so would need to be funded by TfL.

Officers have proposed Goodrich/Lordship Lane beign made safer by double yellow lining the junction for some distance in all directions. What we said was build out the kerb on Lordship Lane so the people exiting Goodrich Road would be further out and have better sight lines.

Do you think this would solve that junction problem?

In answer to your question, I think a built out kerb would be potentially hazardous to traffic heading uphill in Lordship Lane. Because of the bend, they may not see it until the last minute and anyone on the inside, such as a motorcyclist would have nowhere to go.

James,

Your posts are much appreciated and regularly you take a sensible stance on most issues but you appear to be reticent about the proposed modifications to the East Dulwich Grove/Townley Road/ Green Dale junction.

Please see the relevant thread and let's have your views:-

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1426742

Also please tell us why the Council does not inform the public of the cost of such proposals.

Tom

James,

Can you tell us briefly why virtually all the Councils road works e.g. pavement widening, traffic calming measures, speed bumps etc etc is awarded to Conway.

Why do we never see such works going out to open tender?

Why does the Council provide Conway with an office within the Council building?

Gertrude

Hi Villager/Gertrude,

Conways were awarded the contract for such works required by Southwark Council. So if the highway is a Southwark highways (which 95%+ are then Conways will do the work. The remainder are TfL and tiny amount of Dulwich Estates highways.

The office is a typical arrangement when you have a key supplier to maximise the constructive working together. My day job we have many supplier staff working on site to ensure close working.

What bugs me is how often Conways have screwed up the notifying residents of planned works.

Hi Tom/tomdhu,

I've only just heard of some of the proposed Townley Road/East Dulwich Grove junction changes. I've received incomplete reports but so far they don't sound good. Let me get the exact details before commenting further.

Hi kiera,

Thanks for that.

hi tiddles,

I agree. Making the area car parking free isn't the answer for me either which is why we asked council officials to go back to the drawing board.

James - back to double yellow lines across new dropped kerbs and extending 2 metres either side .

I know on Oct 24th you said "I haven't had any further casework so far that would drive me spending time on this other than investigating in a more general way."

I took this to mean that you wouldn't be persuing this until you had an individual who had personally made a dropped kerb application contact you .

LS1234 has said on here that she has PM'd you details of her/his application and I guess must fulfill this criteria ,so I'm just wondering if you have any results to share ?

James. Several forumites have had their bicycles stolen. I remember that you recently dealt with an abandoned bicycle and arranged for the council to recycle rather than scrap bikes in future. Do the council take any action to check whether an abandoned bike is one which has been stolen?

I'd presume so but that could be a rash assumption.

Let me find out.

Generally, I'd encourage residents to contact the Police Safer Neighbourhood Team and ask for a crime prevention home visit. Cllr Rosie Shimell and I have insured they have lots and lots of free crime prevention kit to give away. Bike locks, property marking kits, etc. Most recent addition to the armoury is floor anchors for motorbikes and bicycles.

James - back to double yellow lines across new dropped kerbs and extending 2 metres either side .

I know on Oct 24th you said "I haven't had any further casework so far that would drive me spending time on this other than investigating in a more general way."

I took this to mean that you wouldn't be persuing this until you had an individual who had personally made a dropped kerb application contact you .

LS1234 has said on here that she has PM'd you details of her/his application and I guess must fulfill this criteria ,so I'm just wondering if you have any results to share ?

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James - back to double yellow lines across new

> dropped kerbs and extending 2 metres either side .

>

While we are waiting:

1) The road must be legally adopted

2) The TRO must be legally obtained

3) The signage must meet legal requirements:

Traffic Signs Manual

Chapter 3

Regulatory Signs

Section 6

PROHIBITION OF WAITING AND LOADING

This publication is available on-line but it is a very large pdf file.

Someone else can work out whether each new dropped kerb installation requires its own TRO and its own notice on a pole.

Some road closures next week and the weekafter - please see attached.

Melbourne Grove at its junction East Dulwich Grove - 24->28 November & 1-5 December. One is the northern side and the other the southern side of this junctino being closed. The notice just states both being on northern side. I've asked for clarification.

Hillsboro Road at its junction with East Dulwich Grove - 1->12 December. I've asked if this could be delayed until the Christmas School holidays to avoid so many children beign affected.

Hi ITATM,

middle of this year Sotuhwark Council Cabinet formally adopted a street design manual.

Part of that includes no longer allowing new white lines across dropped kerbs. People have the choice of no white line or double yellow lines. I think the matter has been debated hear to death.

We need Southwark Council to changes it mind on this.

Are you willing to lead a deputation to a Council Assembly to request a change to this policy?

I have formally asked for the cabinet member to reconsider and revise this manual to revert back to the previous policy and await his reponse.

James,

Re the refurbishment of the carriageway table at the EDG Melbourne Grove junction, could we find out more about the reason/need for this work? It is literally only months ago that work was carried out on this same area. If that original work was faulty/substandard then a fine should be made, if it is something else then why was it not identified and carried out at the same time?

For me the term 'refurbishment' is incredibly vague. Is this yet another example of the great CONway gravy train, all at the taxpayers expense?

Hi James

"no longer allowing new white lines across dropped kerbs. People have the choice of no white line or double yellow lines"

There is no published information ,or practical experience from people applying for dropped kerbs that this is a CHOICE . If you have information that we ( general public ) don't have that explains why you think the extension of double yellow lines over new dropped kerbs is a choice ,could you provide it ?

"Are you willing to lead a deputation to a Council Assembly to request a change to this policy? " - talk me through how this works James . How effective are such actions ?

" I think the matter has been debated hear to death. " people repeatedly asking you for updates ( which you've now provided,thank you ) is not the same thing as a debate .