Professional dog walkers a menace

As mentioned before, without talking to dog walkers you're not going to fix owt.

How are you going to engineer dogs walkers and their charges not walking together by talking about it on the internet ?

The dog walkers know each other and from what I've seen are pretty knowledgeable, open-minded and care about dogs.

You seem to be expert in making judgement calls on what the dog walkers should or should not be doing and also in what is best for the dogs (theirs and yours). With so much confidence in your knowledge why don't you talk to them and have a reasonable conversation with them ?

You don't consider dogs that attack the 'pack' a dog walker is in charge of, I've seen this happen in Nunhead. Do you know or can you understand how traumatic it is for a dog walker to see a dog in their care savaged by a lone or pair of dogs ?

FYI: the term 'pack' is a convenient tool for your argument perhaps but I really don't think a pack, and the pecking order / hierarchy involved, are formed so easily as sticking a bunch of dogs together for a walk - though if you choose to believe it that's on you.

Dogs don't behave like people though it's nice to think they do because life's simpler that way isn't it.

Some dogs will trade and the owners will often try and attribute blame one way or the other, without understanding what is in the dogs' heads or the wider situation on it's own merits.

Nothing childish about thinking (and declaring) that subjective conjuncture is a load of old w@nk, which is what I was doing earlier.

But do carry on, it's the internet, so anything goes, right ?

If the conversation with the commercial dog-walkers with that number of dogs in hand, is simply having your dog "done", is the result/comment thrown back as an excuse as to why the poor chap's dog has been set upon, I simply say, let the head of the Parks come to the most sensible decision eh - which is about the limitation of dogs in hand at any given time (the point of this thread from the start)... Hopefully, that will be the problem deemed solved..

Where there is a group of dogs that know each other and are regularly walked together, there is always the risk that they might gang up on any dog that is not perceived as part of their group, this is known as 'packing'. The 'intruder' can be challenged, chased or even attacked.

Young males, in their hormonal prime, between the ages of around 6- 18 months, when testosterone is at its highest, can be 'targeted' by older males. It is a way to put the young competitor in his place.

It would be my advice if you are walking a single dog to avoid large groups of dogs. The dynamics can be complex and unpredictable.

I have seen a group of dogs walked by a dog walker turn on another within the group, it can happen but obviously a good dog walker understands and monitors the pack dynamics and should take action accordingly.

Edhistory, I believe, but stand to be corrected, that professional dog wlakers have to be registered with the Council.

It is in the interests of the council, as well as dogs and their owners, to support well run dog walking services.

On another note, I wonder if the many fitness inctructors we see on the Rye and that are also paid for those services are registered?

I also have had problems with pofessional dog walkers dogs running in a pack towards my dog in Sydenham Hill Woods, it has actually put me off walking him there, the walkers aren't in control of the dogs. They are also a nuisance in Dulwich Park, I also don't know how they manage to pick up all the dog mess. I believe they should be limited to 3 dogs,I have counted one dog walker with 8!

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I see that this thread has been dormant for a little while but is the most recent I could find relating to the issue of dog walkers in the area and so I wanted to post about an incident I witnessed today in Peckham Rye which I think is relative and partly why I share Ben's concerns.

One of the regular dog walkers (male, curly dark hair and beard, quite large) had 5 dogs, most off the lead. I was near the gate leading on to Colyton road when I noticed he was shouting at the top of his voice at one of the dogs. When I looked, the dog - whose name was Cecil, if I remember correctly - had run out of the gate and was crouching by a car (which turned out to be the dog walker?s car). The dog then proceeded to run across the road, causing a car to break sharply and beep its horn. At this point the man was still quite far down the path in the park shouting for the dog to come back in, whilst trying to keep the other dogs he was walking together. A woman with her own dog started walking towards Cecil and trying to get him to come close enough so she could grab his collar but the dog was too confused. He looked like he would run into the road again but luckily didn?t. Eventually he ran back inside the park gate and the walker was by this point near enough that he could grab him and put his collar back on.

The woman then made a point that the dog should not be off the lead if the walker couldn?t control all of the dogs and he then seemed to get very aggressive about it. The incident just seemed to illustrate the problem when dog walkers have too many dogs, especially when they also let them off the lead. If something happens - like one attacks another dog, or runs out into the road like this one did - they?re not able to react sufficiently. Yes, any dog could attack another, or sometimes dogs don't respond to re-call, but if you have a whole bunch of other dogs you're trying to manage as well how can you possibly give the situation the attention and response it demands, often in a split second. It could have ended very badly today, but fortunately it didn?t.

I walk my dog in Peckham Rye almost every day and it seems like the number of dogs per dog walker keeps increasing. It used to be maybe three or four at most, but now sometimes it?s as many as six or seven. There are definitely some responsible walkers who take two or three dogs at a time, but they seem to be in the minority now.

Any way, the main reason I wanted to post this is so that other dog owners are aware of this particular dog walker. I would certainly want to know if that had happened with my dog, though I doubt the owners will ever be told. Surely there is something that can be done to raise this issue with the park keepers - as has been suggested earlier in the thread - and put a sensible cap on the number of dogs allowed per walker?

I think with unemployment or zero hours contracts, many people are turning to dog walking as a source of income (untaxed?) If I recall, many people are paying ?10 a day or more so 5 dogs ?50 and if another 5 are walked later in the day - ?100 per day is a good income especially with no deductions. I have taken out 2 dogs at a time (my own) and at times that can prove challenging. Should dog walkers have insurance so if any of their charges are involved in incidences, claims can be made against them.

I was in Peckham rye park the other day with my child who is afraid of dogs. I'm trying to encourage her to lose this fear but when faced with 3 dog walkers converging and around 15 dogs some on leads some not all standing on the path in front of us making no effort to move and the dogs all fighting (may be play fighting but I have no idea) even I was a bit scared and promptly had to turn round and go back. Especially when one came running up to my child and all I got was a 'don't worry he's friendly' which is a phrase I hate to hear from dog owners when their dogs jump on you, how would they like if it my toddler came running up and smeared snot all over them if my response was 'don't worry he's friendly'. Anyway, whole heartededly agree that dog walkers should have a manageable number of dogs and shouldn't all walk together to create even larger packs that can be very intimidating.

• 2 weeks later...

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Edhistory, I believe, but stand to be corrected,

> that professional dog wlakers have to be

> registered with the Council.

>

This commercial leverage of Southwark Council open spaces seem to require a permit under para 31 of the Bye-Law.

I have found the 2015/16 permit fees for people who jump up and down.

I can't find the permit fees for the professional dog walkers.

John K

"The point at issue is that whenever I walk him at Nunhead cemetary and pass a pack of hounds he gets attacked."

This is awful - but if your dog is being attacked every time you walk in Nunhead cemetery, you need to call the police. If your vet is needed, the dog-walkers should be insured and therefore you'd be covered.

Regarding the possibility of you breeding, presumably the litter he has will all need homes. Are these all going to be homes where the owner(s) will walk their own dog, or one where they work, and therefore need a dog-walker?

• 3 years later...

Azalea Wrote:

> I?m resurrecting this thread to find out if any

> controls have been put on commercial dig walkers.

I doubt it- On Friday I saw a man with 5 dogs large to smallish walking them in Barry Road near Goodrich Road.

BTW: One benefit of the light coloured paving is that you can spot the excrement a mile off now!

rgbrando Wrote:

> Hello,

>

> I see that this thread has been dormant for a

> little while but is the most recent I could find

> relating to the issue of dog walkers in the area

> and so I wanted to post about an incident I

> witnessed today in Peckham Rye which I think is

> relative and partly why I share Ben's concerns.

>

> One of the regular dog walkers (male, curly dark

> hair and beard, quite large) had 5 dogs, most off

> the lead. I was near the gate leading on to

> Colyton road when I noticed he was shouting at the

> top of his voice at one of the dogs. When I

> looked, the dog - whose name was Cecil, if I

> remember correctly - had run out of the gate and

> was crouching by a car (which turned out to be the

> dog walker?s car). The dog then proceeded to run

> across the road, causing a car to break sharply

> and beep its horn. At this point the man was still

> quite far down the path in the park shouting for

> the dog to come back in, whilst trying to keep the

> other dogs he was walking together. A woman with

> her own dog started walking towards Cecil and

> trying to get him to come close enough so she

> could grab his collar but the dog was too

> confused. He looked like he would run into the

> road again but luckily didn?t. Eventually he ran

> back inside the park gate and the walker was by

> this point near enough that he could grab him and

> put his collar back on.

>

> The woman then made a point that the dog should

> not be off the lead if the walker couldn?t control

> all of the dogs and he then seemed to get very

> aggressive about it. The incident just seemed to

> illustrate the problem when dog walkers have too

> many dogs, especially when they also let them off

> the lead. If something happens - like one attacks

> another dog, or runs out into the road like this

> one did - they?re not able to react sufficiently.

> Yes, any dog could attack another, or sometimes

> dogs don't respond to re-call, but if you have a

> whole bunch of other dogs you're trying to manage

> as well how can you possibly give the situation

> the attention and response it demands, often in a

> split second. It could have ended very badly

> today, but fortunately it didn?t.

>

> I walk my dog in Peckham Rye almost every day and

> it seems like the number of dogs per dog walker

> keeps increasing. It used to be maybe three or

> four at most, but now sometimes it?s as many as

> six or seven. There are definitely some

> responsible walkers who take two or three dogs at

> a time, but they seem to be in the minority now.

>

> Any way, the main reason I wanted to post this is

> so that other dog owners are aware of this

> particular dog walker. I would certainly want to

> know if that had happened with my dog, though I

> doubt the owners will ever be told. Surely there

> is something that can be done to raise this issue

> with the park keepers - as has been suggested

> earlier in the thread - and put a sensible cap on

> the number of dogs allowed per walker?

Hope the owner of Cecil is reading this! I'd be most unhappy at this unsafe behaviour, and my dog being in danger on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Azalea Wrote:

> I?m resurrecting this thread to find out if any

> controls have been put on commercial dog walkers.

Yes. A borough wide Public Space Protection Order was introduced by Southwark Council in March 2018, limiting the number of dogs a person can walk, the number of those dogs allowed off lead and a few other things that I can't recall. They are listed on the notice boards at Nunhead Cemetery and I assume the council website.

As a nature lover, I can vouch that the cemetery has become a much more pleasant place for a stroll now there are far fewer rampaging dogs running loose. Most of the commercial walkers seem to be very considerate now too.

i live opp the cemetery and have to put up with them unloading up to 6 dogs at time

imagine 6 dogs barking all at the same time

one of them even told me to F**k off ive reported them to the council taken pictures and even videos

but nothing has been done about it

unfortunately its not really of any interest to the council

until somebody get bitten

ive tried but given up being honest

I can imagine 6 dogs barking at the same time but, having used Nunhead cemetary for 5yrs, have never actually seen 6 dogs being unloaded when ALL 6 are barking at the exact same time. That would be some coincidence, especially if the dogs are walked daily together and have a settled relationship with one another.

I can imagine it, but not recurring - that would seem a trifle strange IMO.