The White Stuff has landed...there goes the neighbourhood!...

MadWorld74

Positioning themselves as a bit dangerous is essential for White Stuff. Their products aren't risky at all, outdoorsy and ok but their punters believe themselves to still be youthfully wild. Sometimes.

I am offended (in a very tiny way) by the crap mock graffiti type used to write the slogan but that aside, I'm with Sean and Belle on this, it's just a shop. Good luck to them.

However I shan't be shopping there. I'm too wild.

AP;-)

The "graffiti" is cheeky but it has made most of us smile (albeit in a grudging way mostly)

Whilst on the subject of White Stuffs work, I noticed last night some of the old shops (ie pre Walsh) facades were exposed and looked lovely. You know the kind of thing.. those b&w tinted photos of Victorian LL with "Stationers" in fancy lettering above shops.

• Administrator
Bellenden Belle - I should have made it clearer, it is the irrelevant chatting between people (that is off topic) that I have to warn about. After that, the topic gets Lounged which isn't fair on the other readers of this thread. In this case it wasn't a one liner it was a three-liner, all of which were irrelevant to White Stuff and I have to draw a line somewhere. Not a line of White Stuff I hasten to add but a metaphorical boundary line.

Administrator...With all due respect, the three lines in question when analysed (I am an English graduate you know) suggested that myself and the other guilty party S M, were in agreement over the said topic. We were in fact drawing our lines (made not necessarily of white stuff) of allegiance - indeed subsequent postings have referred to the said lines, proof that clear point of views were expressed.

I do not expect a response to this post - wishing to leave the thread free for other opinions on White Stuff. Many thanks, (I am also an ex-catholic so respond well to figures of authority so please look upon me kindly Adminstrator)

Good luck to the White Stuff. Can't imagine it will be a bad addition to the Lane. At present, for guys, there is the small outlet on Grove Vale that Jonboy mentions, the rack of expensive stuff in ED(that takes all of 30 seconds to run through)the two charity shops and....er...Amazing Grace up by the Library. It's not much better for gals either. So I cannot see the problem with having a dedicated clothes shop. I doubt it is the thin edge of the wedge for chains as some seem to fear. Face it, Caffe Nero has been up and running for ages now and there is no sign of another coffee house muscling in.

citizen

Did anyone notice that the grafitti spelt 'neighbourhood' in the American way? It could be complete ignorance, an innocent mistake, or an affectation to fit in with the whole campaign, which actually has rather nasty racist roots. (Cf American tradition of Anglos complaining about the Irish who then complain about the Jews who then complain about the blacks coming in to a specific area.) Nero

that's what I thought, Nero, when I saw it!! that's why I was a bit takenaback with all the threads that went down the line "ooh I wish them luck/ they do posh clothes for kids/ I quite like them..." each to their own but my gut instinct when i saw the boards yesterday was, hmm.....a bit of a p*ss take. (Just voicing my opinion Mr Admin don't shout at me)

Aren't we taking this sign a little bit too seriously?

It's a bit of lighthearted fun, and by all accounts the sign may be more interesting than the clothes so enjoy it whilst you can.

And as for the phrase "There goes the neighbo(u)rhood" and its 'nasty racist roots'. Jeez. Lighten up.

I didn't say it was racist per se, but that the phrase has its roots in racism. You simply cannot deny that. I am positive that the Whitte Stuff people are not racist at all, just that they are ignorant as to where the phrase came from. I am not a radio-phone-in-caller-type who sees bad stuff everywhere. I was just pointing out an historical reference. Nero

Good god.

The phrase is also referenced comically / ironically / lightheartedly in South Park, numerous Woody Allen films, The Osbornes - there must be hundreds more. Are they all ignorant as to where the phrase came from, or are they putting a knowing spin on the phrase for comic effect?!

Bristol University. Oh I see. Didnt go there myself, but once Sabbed the Duke oF Beauforts hunt & went via a Bristol squat - It wasnt me who dug his body up tho'.Oh no .

THis white stuff, Ive seen it in the "city" - its been around for a while hasnt it ?

Still not a patch on Deccathlon ?4 fleeces and Primark ?2 jogging panst I bet.