Peckham Rye Adventure Playground to Close??

stephen509

Hi all,

just to confirm once more what I wrote back in November the Peckham Rye Adventure Playground is not closing down. Opening hours should remain pretty much as they are. It is NOT becoming a pay to use facility (this has been implied on the Carnegie Library thread).

Renata

its usually open in school holidays from Tuesday to Saturday from 11.00 until 5.00. During term time after school until 6.30 I think. But as I said in the post before make the most of it because my understading is that all the staff will be laid off in September.

Hi Jacbuc, I would like to clarify things. No staff have been laid off and the adventure playground is not closing. Upon investigation I have found that some of the staff there have opted for Southwark's voluntary redundancy scheme and because they have chosen to do so are leaving at the end of September. Therefore there will be some staff changes at that point.

Renata

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to take so long to get back-I understand now that the staff at the playground did opt to take voluntary redundancy, if they had not done they would have had to accept that their hours would be halved - an enhanced payment if they went now but not if they were made redundant in the usual manner.

As a regular user I would be interested to know how it will be able to continue to offer similar hours, will the workers brought in to replace those who have been there for a long time be trained or not.

• 1 year later...

As a regular user I am sad to hear the news. One of the best places for kids to run free and safe.

I couldn't get through using the email provided on southwark council website (I read elsewhere that terry has left) and no one answers the telephone number. Who is currently in carge and can confirm the opening hours and do they still have the authority to hire for BD parties over the weekend? (as we've been on few there over the past years)

When is it planned to close?

Thanks!

I understand that Terry finally took redundancy at the half term or Easter break. That there are now agency workers who are funded until July but have no knowledge of anything being offered beyond then.

Hi all, to confirm once again that the adventure playground is not closing. The opening hours will remain the same, after school and Saturdays during term-time and weekday daytime during holidays.

The works for the new playroom/one'O'clock club will start soon. The logistics of how this can best be done with the least disruption have been determined. The access entrance for works that will be used is one that is currently closed off on Homestall Road. This has been done to enable the Adventure Playground to remain open throughout the process. The old playroom/club will remain open until the new one is complete and ready to use. The process of the entire facility moving under the management of Parks is underway. I have asked and am waiting for a response for the contact details for booking the adventure playground for parties.

The Peckham Rye Councillors allocated 18.5k of CGS money to the adventure playground, so there will be some improvement to the equipment.

Yes, it is likely to be a bit more chaotic while the project proceeds, but they will still have the playroom/club and adventure playground and we will end up with better facilities for our children.

Renata