Is the N-word necessarily racist?

silverfox

He said that the attitude then, when he was found with it, back in the 80's to be retarded and it has got worse since.

How does that make your hair stand up twenty or thirty years further on?

It is packet with a Negro wearing a top hat, back then we watched the Minstrels shows as families on a Saturday night.

I think some perspective is called for.

The greatest problem with discussing racism, is that you cannot seem to disassociate the naff from the really nasty.

You don't think stopping "naff" stuff helps prevent the "really nasty" stuff?

DO you think that items such as this should still be ok? Genuinely? Seriously?

Because if the answer is yes then the mind boggles. If your answer is no then the ridiculous and politically retarded work done in the 80s has played a part in stamping out racism...

I was pretty much expecting the reply I got.

No, the trivial has been inflated to the unacceptable and the nasty has been driven underground.

It has not gone away and no one has stamped out racism.

We have evolved over the last twenty years into a more multicultural and homogenuous society because that is the political culture of the British.

Since my schooldays in Tulse Hill, some thirty odd years ago, what I said and did then to how I act now, is a measure of maturity and respect for others rather than societal imposed rules.

As a country we are more mature to the needs of others now too.

But, I still miss the gollywog off the jam jar.

What Sean said.

I don't think or certainly presume that most posters on here have much right to deem what is racist and what isn't racist. And it's so called political 'retardism' which got the awful shite like the Black & White Mintesrels show off our television and the casual 'oh it's only a joke' racism that was the prevalent back then. I remember black mates within my group of mates being called things like 'Spear chucker' as supposed banter. I'm proud to say I never joined in as I felt uncomfortable with it then and could see my black mates were I'm less proud to say that I never had the guts to pull my other mates up on it back then. It shouldn't have been 'alright' then and thankfully more and more people realise that it isn't now. And yes this thread is an awfull embarrassment and should disappear.

GSJ57 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It wasn't my intention to resurrect this thread, I

> was just appalled at the OP's stance, as Sean was.

>

> Santerme - it was my hair that was standing up -

> not Sean's.

I was aware of that, but thank you.

And this is an important subject, it should not be uncomfortable to talk about, that is a mistake.

I have stood toe to toe with real racists, genocidal ones at that....

To modify their behaviour needed a process of discussion.

Most of you need to learn to read before you blow everything out of proportion. It reads what I have written, not what you want it to say for arguments sake. And I was in the Northern hill region of Thailand, that's the only toothpaste I could buy. Maybe someone who has travelled, or travelled in 70's Asia might support.

Uncle Ben is now Chairman of the Board and I don't see how it's vaguely racist....Darkey Toothpaste - because don't black people have shiney white teeth, get it - is clearly so and as your original link shows (to the Slavery Museum) many black people presumably felt so too.

Obama Fingers just shows how stupid marketing people are, even in Germany.