peckham rye caf? fire

iamyamyam

hmm, thebestnameshavegone...I don't think its speculation that fire kills...if the fire had been three feet from your kitchen maybe you would feel differently, thanks for the support...not. If I told you that these youths have, in seperate incidents, been witnessed by me, throwing fireworks at each other, onto balconies, at cars and arrested for throwing fireworks at passers by you maybe a little more convinced that there is a wannabe 'fire starter' in their midst. Anyway, not having to live here I doubt very much if you give a damn.

I think thebestnameshavegone was just flagging up the unlikelihood of a bin fire turning into the great fire of london. Bin fires are annoying, waste fire brigade resources etc, but rarely do they lead to catastrophic house fires. At the same time it must be frightening that anybody would be so willfully stupid so close to your home; I sympathise. I spent years living in fear of being struck by a firework for several weeks of the year - bemused to discover that the kids of london have only caught on to this 'fun' decades after the youth of Manchester, Nottingham, Liverpool etc...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the new PR bowling pavilion burned down a few years ago and wasn't a tree on PR also set on fire? Also wasn't a teenage boy badly hurt on PR a year ago by messing around with fireworks or something similar? I'm with Curly Karen on this, let's not just dismiss this stuff as perfectly understandable rites of passage for youngsters.It does sound as though the cafe fire was kids "messing around". Curly Karen saw enough first hand to make that a reasonable conclusion.

Clearly someone - whoever - chucking fireworks is dangerous, setting fire to a bin outside someone's house is intimidating and stupid, trying to burn down a cafe is horrible and pointless, and I've yet to read anyone disputing this is so. But it's perfectly reasonable for some posters, tired of the kneejerk 'hooded youths' comments (as justified as they turned out to be at least on CurlyKaren's part) and of the melodramatic speculation that so many on this forum are prone to, to remark as such. It's not belittling the stupidity of playing with fire to point out that for many kids, yes, it IS a rite of passage.

If playing with fireworks and fire is a rite of passage then it is not "kneejerk" to assume that hooded youths might be responsible for a spot of arson too, particularly when you've observed a group of said youths playing with fire very close to and at the same time as, the crime in question.

yes, bowling green hut, tree and part of the forrested area all been torched in the past. And the bin in question was not a house wheely bin, but, rather a massive container storing rubbish from thirty flats stored in a grimy bin chute caked in half a century worth of grease, dust and debris.

monniemae...do you work in statistical analysis? Bin fires rarely cause catostrophic house fires??

apparently in picture postcard villages in the midlands as well...

getting a bit sick of comments trivialising this matter really, I wonder if the cafe owner thinks its trivial, or the lady who was targeted by fireworks or the residents who live in these flats or,even, the person who cut themselves leaving blood and dna evidence everywhere when they tried to torch the cafe?

Just because something doesn't effect YOU, doesn't mean its trivial.

Edited to say...how come you removed your post huncamunca? Just beacause I didn't find your thoughtless off the cuff remarks amusing it doesn't mean that others wouldn't have enjoyed them?