Swine Flu Vaccination

ClareC

Just had a text from my Dr asking me to make an appointment to have one as they now have them. I am in the priority list as I am pregnant and asthmatic.

My gut feeling is not to. This is based upon the lack of testing, actual risk and that the vaccination is based upon the normal flu jab which although I have had in the past every year up until now, is not given to pregnant women.

Wondered what everyone else's views are.

C

Its not the same, but my 1 year old has just had swine flu, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I have never had such a poorly child (and we've had more than our share of illnesses), it was awful.

Given that its out and about in ED and how ill it makes you I think if I was pregnant I would have it?

I've given it a lot of thought, and have decided that I'm going to get the vaccination (probably this afternoon!). I'm 39 weeks pregnant and from what I understand, late pregnancy and just after birth are two of the riskiest times for swine flu. I have to admit to being particularly swayed by a couple of articles in the Times on Saturday, which isn't the most rigorous research ever, but still made a convincing case to me.

If you're interested: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/Swine_flu/article6916740.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/Swine_flu/article6916621.ece

The articles are interesting but they do just home in on the benefits. Is there anything out there explaining the risks and the likelihood of them occurring? Development and birth defects doesn't sound great :-(

My friend is a GP, I asked her if she were me would she have it to which I was given a definite no! She wont have it herself.

ClareC - I too am asthmatic and always have flu jabs, but missed them the years I was pregnant. Think I'd do the same with the Swine Flu jab if it were me. I think only you can make the final decision...maybe if commuting on the train a lot, mixing with other people so your risk of catching it is higher...also I guess how far along in pregnancy you are is an issue as developmental issues are a bigger risk in early pregnancy.

Am actually having both jabs tonight - normal flu and swine flu....eek.

Best wishes, Molly

My father works in the medical field and has seen a number of healthy pregnant women in their 20's contract swine flu and get very very ill. One had to have the baby delivered at 27 weeks. THese women are probably in the minority but it is worth considering.

http://vactruth.com/2009/09/11/ingredients-found-in-spermicides-cleaners-and-cosmetics-along-with-thimerosal-and-squalene-present-in-experimental-h1n1-vaccine/

I think before deciding people should do a thorough check, I am also offered flu vaccines each year, and there are many reasons why I refuse, for me it is a question of being responsible for my own health rather than put faith in a system I absolutely do not trust.

I had flu for the first time ever when I became pregnant, it was absolutely and utterly awful. I ended up in hospital. BUT I would not take the swine flu jab simply because it is too new, I don't want to take that risk and unless I was out and about mixing with lots of people, commuting etc I would not take it. Only you can make that decision.

ClareC, the lack of explanation of the risks was the reason that I was ambivalent, too. I also have a couple of friends who are GPs but they both got the jab and have both recommended that I get it - for me it was hard to decide, but especially this late in the pregnancy, I am most concerned about the fact that I still have to take public transport regularly and that being pregnant is really hard on the immune system, so even though I am normally a pretty healthy person, I feel a lot more vulnerable to other people's bad hygeine habits.

Edited to add that both my GP friends had really sore arms after the vaccine but no other side effects. Neither of them were pregnant, though.

That is reassuring. Now I'd like to know why the rest of us still don't have access to it and we're approaching December?

What happened to the UK being in the front of the line? Canada did a program weeks ago and covered anyone who wants it. Consequently, all of my friends and all of their children have had it done and no longer have to worry. My son is three and has just entered into the world of pre-school, and in a short period of time has already brought home a number of nasty things. I know that can't be helped, but if he gets the swine flu and falls really ill with it when it could have been prevented it I would be disgusted with the unacceptable bungling by the government and the NHS. I already am.

I can't understand why I can't get him a regular flu jab either. Nobody has to do any of this if they don't want to, but why don't those of us who want it have the option?

I know nobody here is interested in American news because Brits have such a low opinions of Americans, but the information coming out of the US, from Johns Hopkin's University (gold standard .....world leader in research) and the Mayo Clinic, as well as the Centre for Disease Control, is to vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate. Just get it done. Stop talking about it.

And I'm livid that the NHS has put their "wash your hands" campaign into high gear instead of anything resembling an intelligent plan.

I know this is just a rant now but I'm so angry and frustrated.........

yes what is going on with the swine flu jab - I've had my invitation to get seasonal flu jab (have chronic asthma) but not the swine flu one - no idea what's going on really.

Helena we don't all have low opinions of Americans by the way! how could we hate the nation that produced Larry David :)

Belle, I think Swine Flu innoculations have only just come in to the surgerys, I got a call last week and had both jabs - normal Flu and Swine Flu last night, one in each arm. Have to say both arms very painful last night - kept me awake on and off as whichever side I lay on it ached. Bit better today, but still pretty sore - Swine side is the worst.

I guess they can't offer it to everyone because of the cost, but I agree it doesn't seem fair. At the very least you should be able to pay for it (can you?). I guess you have to go to a certain clinic. When I worked in the City years ago the firm would offer it to all the staff free of charge which seems very sensible.

I had my 5 year old with me when I went in for the jabs and they asked if they were doing her too - I said "Can you?" and they said "only if she is asthmatic" (which she isn't).

Hey ho.

Molly

I think cost is THE factor and that is not okay. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they are making decisions....... And yes, if paying out of pocket was an option we would take it. So far not an option.

The regular flu jabs are not available to children under 18 unless they have a condition that is on their list. We have offered to pay, but nobody does it, not even any of the chemists we have asked. (edited to say) we the parents can have them at a cost.....fine.

What's annoying is the argument that "lots of people die from all sorts of flu viruses every year" to explain why swine flu vaccines are over-hyped, but then you can't get your kid vaccinated against any other flu either. I feel like I'm in the Matrix or something.........I have never seen so much confusion, misinformation, bad beurocracy and general nuttiness about vaccines as I have here........there are currently three similar threads running on the forum and none of them make sense!

Well for once that was relatively easy - had my seasonal flu jab this afternoon and while I was there asked about swine flu jab, whether I was eligible and would be getting a letter - the nurse said I was and gave it to me there and then. Molly - thanks for the warning, will be expecting sore arms tonight! But does seem very random that had i not asked who knows when I might have heard?!

Hi,

I and several of my colleagues have had the Swine Flu vaccine, also had the seasonal flu jab on the same day.

The swine flu arm was tender for a few days but has recovered and didn't interfere with day to day living.

No other side effects.

The Daily Mail is not IMO a reliable source for information.

Is there any way of finding out whether you've already had swine flu?

Both my daughter and I were diagnosed with the dreaded swine (via Seldoc and online respectively) and offered Tamiflu, which we declined and recovered with no medical dramas. I was never really sure if we really had it though...

Therefore, in anticipation of being offered the jabs, it would really help my dilemma to find out conclusively whether we have been de-swined. Can they test your immunity?

I've been really keen to have the swine flu vaccination being pregnant and asthmatic - I had my seasonal flu vaccination several weeks ago (I have always had it when pregnant without problem- I think the advice is not to have it within first three months).

I've been chasing my surgery weekly for updates on when the swine flu vaccination is available and had been firmly told they would contact me and not to phone- having read this thread I have just phoned again to be told they've had it in for over a week and not sure why I wasn't contacted. Am off there now! So thanks all for the info ..

The NCT site contains a lot of detailed information and apart from a few lines it doesn't blindly copy the NHS site or other sources it seems: NCT FAQ about Swine Flu.

They don't really urge pregnant women to get the jab - and they repeat various times that swine flu isn't as infectious as some other diseases. Somehow I feel more confident about getting the jab after reading the FAQ though - and since the NCT isn't sponsored by GSK I don't think this confidence is based on false premises...

Hi Claire

I am just recovering from swine flu - had it for three weeks and felt absolutely dreadful. By far the worst illness I ever had. I was offered Tamiflu but declined and if i had been pregnant would not have as well. I spoke to a number of doctor friends who also agreed. Has there been rigorous clinical testing on pregnant women? When your pregnant you cant even take most cough medicines due to the lack of testing - so I personally cant believe they could have persuaded a group of pregnant women to agree to be guinea pigs for anti-viral testing. I know I am a cynic....

If I was you I would try and avoid high risk places and keep your immunity up with good food. Incidentally my OH and two kids did not get it and I think I probably did as I was run down.