Halfway House on Upland Road?

Does anyone know what the two large houses at the top of Upland Road (Lordship Lane end) are? There is a children's playground attached to the properties and there is a railed pathway leading up to both houses. My dad thinks its some sort of halfway house for ex drug-users and such like. I've been looking at a flat near there - I don't want to assume the worst, however, I wouldn't want to buy my first flat and find out I have nightmare neighbours either. Does anyone know anything, history of trouble etc.?

Thanks

D

randomentry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>My dad thinks its some sort of

> halfway house for ex drug-users and such like.

> I've been looking at a flat near there - I don't

> want to assume the worst, however, I wouldn't want

> to buy my first flat and find out I have nightmare

> neighbours either. >

xxxxxxxx

And why would you assume that people who have been brave enough to come off drugs, with all that that entails, would be "nightmare neighbours"?

I know ex drug users who have very responsible jobs. Don't make assumptions!

Edited to add: I also know drug users who have very responsible jobs!

Probably better to live near ex drug users rather than current ones?

I've always thought that big house was simply a large privately owned place with lucky kids?! Has had quite a lot of work done to it recently (seem to remember various advertising boards up for tilers etc.), have never noticed anything untoward.

Good luck with the purchase of your first flat! Exciting times!

I used to own a flat in a building next-door to a very large halfway house.

It was the best-kept period house in the area. Restored and repaired all over by the residents. Front and back garden immaculate. Rules about noise outside in the garden etc strictly enforced. On occasions where there was a rumpus in the street of some kind, they were always the first out there to assist.

Shame the fine upstanding citizens who owned the flats below me were such a massive pain in the arse.

Leave it out FFS.

Nobody in their right mind wants to buy a property next door to a load of junkies. I've know PLENTY down through the years and when they're fiending they don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

D, look out for yourself and ignore the sanctimonious posts above.

randomentry didn't even say that he/she thought the house would definitely be a hub of trouble, but was asking for advice and is quite right to have some reservations. Totally agree with Catalyst...Even those who are trying hard to rid themselves of drugs or drink can fall off the wagon and whilst that's sad and others understand their plight, it doesn't mean they should have to suffer because of it.

I know someone who lives near what is supposed to be a dry hostel, housing ex alcoholics who are beginning to rebuild their lives. Unfortunately it is often the scene of trouble and my friend has many a sleepless night because of noise.

Sometimes, i think it's some of the 'rip your head off just for the sake of it' postings on this forum that could potentially put people off moving to the area!

'Fraid I know nothing about the 'Upland Road House of Hell'

All I can tell you is that I lived next door to a charitable halfway house - experienced zero problems, had no difficulty in selling and am glad I didn't miss out on a fantastic flat because my Dad might have maybe heard something about somewhere and because someone on the internet assured me I'd be strangled in my bed no sooner than I'd obtained the keys.

If you really like the flat, then do a bit of research, assess the place carefully and make your own mind up.

HI all.

I have been working in the drug rehab field for 20 years. All of the those organisations have taken a very low profile indeed, and it's highly unlikely that this is one.

Its funny that people avoid rehabs, since you may well have been living near one for a while and not known. I worked for 9 years in a rehab in Esher, Surrey. It was there 25 years, and people living 10 doors down the road did not know it existed.

I live now on East Dulwich Grove, along which drunken revellers regularly make their way at 2am screaming, fighting, banging things etc. Funny how so few people think that the presence of too many clubs, pubs and bars, along with liberal licensing laws, brings the neighbourhood into disrepute; whereas one rehab (which by its very nature contains people who are generally not using..think about it, thats what rehabs do, they are abstinence based) brings all out in a panic!

Rehabs are generally tightly bound by rules, behaviour, and routines, and are selective in who they take. They are trained up (for the most part) and overall are very safe, well ordered places. Of course people relapse and leave, but chaos is remarkable for its absence.

NOw, if you want chaos and disorder, and addictive behaviour, try anyone of the local pubs at 1am over the Xmas period, and any of the many parties going on in "Normal" houses!! There will be plenty of cocaine, alcohol, cannabis etc etc. The safest place to be, if you are an ex user, will be in a rehab!!! LOL

By the way, there is an easy way to check whether its used as a rehab; google drug services in dulwich/southwark area.