Can anyone recommend a Local taxi firm?

cmacnew

Call Abbey Cars. I used them recently to get to Heathrow. ?ber was on surge and the quote was a lot, Abbey Cars charged ?45, was on time and got me there safely and calmly despite heavy traffic. They send you a text when it's on it's way and after. Really good service. Think they're in North Cross Road.

I never use cabs but we need one this evening so I checked out all the recommendations on here and rang Keeen. Nobody answered the phones and I got a recorded message asking me to leave my details and that someone would call me. No one has so far and I've left a complaint online. Very disappointing and their glossy website counts for nothing if you can't rely on them - this will put me off using them again. I have booked a cab through Rye Cars who seem very good so here's hoping - will report back!

Mason and Green are fab - very organised and reliable and competitively priced. We used them to and from Gatwick pre Xmas too and they offer an excellent service and nice cars. Very recommended. 020 7924 9177. Www.masonandgreen.co.uk Based in Herne Hill but they work locally :-)

Mason and Green are fab - reliable, well priced and turn up when they say they will, with nice cars etc. 020 7924 9177. Www.masonandgreen.co.uk. We recently used them for a Gatwick run pre Xmas. Recommended. Based in Herne Hill and work well locally and recommended elsewhere on EDF too :-)

An update:

All turned out well. A small glitch - the driver was waiting outside but didn't think to ring the doorbell! So would use Rye Cars again.

cella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I never use cabs but we need one this evening so I

> checked out all the recommendations on here and

> rang Keeen. Nobody answered the phones and I got a

> recorded message asking me to leave my details and

> that someone would call me. No one has so far and

> I've left a complaint online. Very disappointing

> and their glossy website counts for nothing if you

> can't rely on them - this will put me off using

> them again. I have booked a cab through Rye Cars

> who seem very good so here's hoping - will report

> back!

• 2 months later...

An extraordinary experience this morning with Mason & Green. Booked a taxi to the airport online, all details correct. At the booked time, no taxi. Tried calling a few times, but only voicemail. I'm just about to get an uber when I get a call - taxi is here. 10 minutes late but all seems ok. But then as soon as we set off, the driver starts asking questions about how we booked; did we say 4 people etc. Then he's on the phone to the office. Eventually he says the fare will be ?10 more than the quote. I don't agree, I say. The. I get a call from the office saying I have too many bags, so it will be ?10 more. I still don't agree. Get to the airport, a text from M&G saying my return trip will be ?10 more. No thanks, I say, just cancel it. They text and say ok. Then 20 minutes later another text saying I'm banned from using M&G, and accusing me of being dishonest.

All in all a surreal experience and hopefully a one off (I've used them a few times before with no issues). But another reason why I'm a big fan of uber

Well the very fact you booked on line and state you require a saloon car where you luggage was more than a saloon car is capable of taking, was the reason you were questioned by the driver who then called by the office.

The driver was in fact parked outside your house half an hour prior to the booked time and this can be confirmed by the driver and the GPS.

If a saloon car as you had booked, had turned up you would have been left standing at your address without a car as Uber would not have taken you, It was lucky that an MPV had been sent. We were just stating the correct fare for the amount of luggage you had. In spite of us explaining this you did not pay the correct fare, hence the driver was left short.

The reason to consider the amount of luggage and passengers is for insurance purposes, and this is a practice throughout the industry. If anything had happen, the driver is responsible, and thus his insurance is higher than that of a saloon car. It is a simple bit of understanding, and in general drivers are flexible with the odd extra bag, however he deemed this too much.

Thanks

There is a well-recommended place based in Herne Hill which I learnt about from here, but I forget its name. I had a very early flight from Gatwick and the cab was on time (even early) and got me there in good time for a good price. If anyone can jog my memory, I'd be grateful. i

Archived