Railway Rise Action Group- Object To The Proposed Demolition Update

Zak

If St Aidans Group had any role in the Solomons Passage fiasco - and it is listed on their website as one of their projects - then surely, their recent application for planning permission at Railway Rise must be put on ice by Southwark Council until a full investigation into the Solomons Passage demolition and relocation of residents - both homeowners and renters - is concluded? James Barber? Renata Hamvas?

I think you're confusing planning permission with the actual building of things.

Most developers get planning permission and then sell the scheme on. Or they bank it for a few years.

Developers rarely have in house construction and building capacity. They rely on contractors being professional.

So the system won't consider putting any planning application 'in 'ice.

I'd also suggest that the court system we have will mean many years of legal wrangles. Which is why it was such good news about the homes coming under NHBC insurance meaning that legal wrangles can happen in parallel and into the future without delaying actually fixing and replacing homes.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Most developers get planning permission and then

> sell the scheme on. Or they bank it for a few

> years.

> Developers rarely have in house construction and

> building capacity. They rely on contractors being

> professional.

>

-------------------------------------------------------

This is of course what St Aidan's did with the Garden Centre, no doubt banking a decent profit while achieving nothing. Ten years on we have a demolition site. This ought to be taken into account when they apply for another development, but it won't.

We are now in the confusing position that number 2 and 3 Railway Rise are for sale, but the new proposal for redevelopment has now been issued. http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9565779

I think that the plans submitted are the amended plans they tried at the end of the previous process, which were rejected as the planners said that they could not go above the existing level. Maybe they thought they might as well make use of them.

The revised proposal isn't as bad as the original (it couldn't be worse) as it only appears to require partial demolition, apparently preserving the front of the cottages. At the back, the new three-storey extension will project further than the existing and will block out sunlight for number 1 from, I guess, mid-morning. The houses would look very different, with rather incongruous 'Juliet' balconies and a mansard roof. As well as these objections, the houses would seem quite cramped downstairs for 3/4 bedrooms and provide relatively little extra accommodation - both used as grounds for rejecting the original designs.

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline for comments on the revised proposal for the (partial) demolition of the cottages at Railway Rise, by East Dulwich Station is this Friday 24 June.

You can see the application on the Southwark Planning website at http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9565779. The reference number is 16/AP/1341.

The proposal is less dramatic than the previous proposal to completely demolish 2 and 3 and build a four-storey block. Nevertheless, I have objected on the grounds that:

- The new three-storey rear building is higher than the other house and is clearly out of keeping with the rest of the cottages.

- The proposal requires a substantial demolition of the cottages and a building in the garden.

- The substantial extension to three storeys would block the light for the neighbours.

- The new extension would overlook the neighbour, invading privacy.

- The proposal to fit three and four bedrooms leads to cramped accommodation.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Comments on the third application for planning permission on the cottages at Railway Rise are scheduled to close on Wednesday (sorry - this has rather snuck up on me.)

As history - this follows on from an initial plan to completely demolish 2&3 and build a four-storey block. That was rejected by the council and on appeal. A second plan followed for a three storey rear extension. That was rejected but has now gone to appeal. They have put in a third application, which extends the cottages back and builds a dormer roof to take then up to three storeys. I assume that the developer assumes everyone will gradually be worn down into submission.

If you wish to make a comment look at: http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/, using the reference number 16/AP/4028.

See attached picture for an indication of the scale of this (but note this is only one perspective which doesn't show how far back this goes).

"I assume that the developer assumes everyone will gradually be worn down into submission."

Certainly true ,but as someone who's been in a similar position I would say never underestimate the effect your objections will have on the final outcome .

There will of course be a development but it will be significantly better than the original proposal .

This is exacly what the developer will assume and mirrors the progress of the M&S development. In fact all objectors to currently contentious developments, inlcuding this and Greendale/ Dulwich Hamlets should pay close attention and make the effort to get Councillors much more involved as well as objecting. WIth M&S the right noises were made from time to time by our Councillor but in a desultory kind of way.

Thanks for letting us know about this Chazzle.

I've just put in an objection based on my view that these new proposals are damaging to the character and appearance of houses which are of regional and local importance (See earlier reference in this thread to the fact that 1,2 and 3 Railway Rise are possibly the only remaining examples of the houses built by the London, Brighton and Southern railway to house rail workers in the 1860s across the whole of Southern England. They are also some of the oldest houses in East Dulwich). I have also suggested that the scale of the development is disproportionate to the existing footprint and plot size of the cottages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...