Moving into East Dulwich

HRE

Where do you need to go for your commute. London Bridge is more than a pain. I've totally abandoned ship and am using Denmark Hill for my commute, which works well anyway as I go into to Blackfriars which is 1o minutes from my office. Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill have a lot of alternative routes and are relatively easily accessible for most people living in ED.

London Bridge is fine but with because of the works currently underway, service (in my experience last year) was very spotty with trains being cancelled frequently. Normally the service is absolutely fine and they may have sorted it out by now but my alternative route is actually faster.

I thought the trains from London Bridge to Charing Cross aren't running at the moment due to works? If so, it will be faster for you to just take any train going to Elephant and Castle and catch the Bakerloo line to Charing Cross. Alternatively, you can go into Blackfriars and catch the district and circle line to Embankment. The 176 that runs along Lordship Lane also goes directly to the strand but in rush hour that won't be your fastest journey.

Depends. Do you mean for hanging out with friends or for a meal?

I like the Bishop (though some find it a bit young and hipster) but I am young(ish). My friends and also go to the Great Exhibition a lot. Its my local and has a great atmosphere. The EDT is nice as well.

Only live in Streatham!!! You are moving to ED!!! Hmmmm, let me think......why don't you either explore ED when you mive here, or visit ED before you move here and explore it. Win win.

HRE Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Only live down the road in Streatham hill but only

> came across ED last year - Don't know why I had

> never been before to be honest, have been to all

> the surrounding areas but never ED. But once we

> spent a Saturday there we new it is where we

> should move to.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Old Nunhead has gigs all the time. Check out

> their web page.

>

> So does the EDT on Lordship Lane which hosts live

> jazz nights, theatre events and a montly film

> night The Bigger Picture which shows cult classics

> and art house films.

>

> Il Mirto on Melbourne Grove looks like a whole in

> the wall but is really a hidden gem.

Sadly The Bigger Picture and other local film clubs have suffered from the arrival of the ED Picturehouse. The audiences have halved as people go to the film supermarket rather than support the local independent outlets. In an independent article, The Bigger Picture film club has been described as 'about as perfect as you could get'. See http://mostlyfilm.com/2016/01/18/the-pictures-get-bigger/ and here: http://dulwichonview.org.uk/2016/01/20/the-bigger-picture-film-club-is-about-as-perfect-as-you-could-get/

and that reminds me, sign up to the weekly reminder emails for the articles on Dulwich OnView, a community blog that has lots of contributors and is a mine of information about what is going on in the Dulwich area. These are quality articles inviting comments, so completely different and a complement to the EDF.

Some of this made me put my fingers down my throat. Not all I hasten to add.

And this section isn't just for taking the piss - some light hearted comments and some proper debate. Going off at a tangent and conversations between small groups who know each other is a bit rubbish. Some people may take themselves a bit seriously and at times some of the most pompous comments. But now I am guilty of digressing so just as guilty.

So here are some other recommendations.

1. The pubs. Oh you have to go further afield eg Blyth Hill Tavern Forest Hill (and some odds and sods on the main drag there too)

Catford Con club

Rye Hotel -just the right side of cool and trendy

Gowlett - ditto

Chandos - just because it looks frightening

General Napier - the last side street pub in the world and I don't know how it keeps going

Ivy - great community pub, great entertainment, poor service.....

2. The Goose is Out - folk at the Ivy, and now their sing along moved into Peckham after being turfed out by East Dulwich Venues

3. The East Dulwich Cabaret. Sadly turfed out years ago, and recently closed for good after quarter of a century many of the recent years in nearby exile

4. Famous people - lots of luvvies and arties, many used to appear at the now lamented EDC

5. The quiz at the Crystal Palace Tavern. Oh dear, again turfed out and now gastro'd the pub too

6. The Cheese Block

7. Peckham 5 - cheapest independent cinema in London

8. The hills of Lewisham - Blythe, One Tree, Horniman, Sydenham, Hilly Fields, Telegraph Hill

9. Green Chain Walk

10. The Cemeteries of Southwark and Lewisham - Nunhead but others too

11. Moor Park/ Libretto butchers and his eclectic cars

12. Disused railways

13. Some, but not all, of the microbreweries

14. Closed put walk on the Dulwich estate

15. Open House, and particularly Open Artists weekends

16. Best cider is the home made stuff from One Tree Hill allotments. Blythe is London cider pub of the year.

17. House of Dreams as already mentioned.

18. Anthenlay (junior) FC

19. Non league football (not just Dulwich)

LondonMix Wrote:

--

>

> 1. The Brick House Cafe (slightly off the main

> drag) though there are lots of great cafes and

> restaurants in the area. That's its own thread

> 2. North Cross Road market on a Saturday

> 3. The Picture House cinema

> 4. Dulwich Picture Gallery- they currently have a

> great exhibit by Escher which is amazing

> 5. The Horniman Gardens and Natural History museum

> 6. Brockwell Lido

> 7. Dulwich Park

> 8. Susan James Supper Club can be fun

> 9. Alleyn Park Garden Centre (West Dulwich)

> 10. Bel Air Park (West Dulwich)

> 11. The Rooftop cinema in the summer in Peckham

> 12. Peckham Rye Park

> 13. Dulwich running club / park run

> 14. Tennis clubs (various) and squash court near

> Sainsbury

> 15. Dulwich Hamlet football team

> http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-a

> nd-comment/football-revolution-as-disillusioned-fa

> ns-head-for-the-non-league-9810932.html

> http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/aug/23/dulw

> ich-hamlet-londons-most-hipster-football-club

Hey, thanks for the mention at number 2 above, but just to clarify -

Our Club Nights are moving from The Old Nun's Head to The White Horse in Peckham as from 10 March.

Our Singarounds (not singalongs, though you can of course sing along to someone else's song if you want to and if they don't mind!) are moving from The Old Nun's Head to the refectory in The Ivy House in Nunhead as from Sunday 13 March.

Our Beginners' Sessions (which we don't actually run ourselves but we publicise them on our website) hadn't found a new home yet the last we heard :(

Our concerts, thank God and touch wood, are staying at The Ivy House.

All a bit of a nightmare but you can find out more here:

http://www.thegooseisout.com

http://whitehorsepeckham.co.uk/

http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/

And if you like craft beer, what used to be the cosy function room upstairs at The Old Nun's Head with great acoustics will soon be a dedicated craft beer bar :(