New camera installed at the top of Copleston Road / Oglander road SE15

trinidad

Well if neither of us have actually witnessed this particular box junction then it's academic! And it's digressing from the fact that the vast majority of box junctions are reasonable.

And cynical as I am, I doubt that they're used as revenue streams. Otherwise they'd be all over the place.

I've almost been caught out on box junctions in the past but it is easy to avoid, and if you do get fined you're unlikely to repeat the error.

>

> PeckhamRose Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So there should be cameras at every junction,

> > traffic light, one way system, at the point of

> > every instruction sign, every bus lane, cycle

> > lane, and you seriously think that would

> improve

> > things?

Righty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I certainly think that it would, eventually, get a

> lot of dodgy drivers off the road - yes.

>

I agree too. I think more cameras would be a deterrent.

I'm bloody sick of people jumping red lights and therefore holding up traffic which is, for example, trying to turn right (or completely preventing them from turning right at all until the lights change again) and also meaning that pedestrians trying to cross can't safely do so either.

And I can't see any point in having a 20mph limit which is by and large completely ignored and not enforced at all.

The more cameras the better in my view. And I say that as somebody who has been done twice in the past for speeding.

Well if neither of us have actually witnessed this particular box junction then it's academic!

I've certainly witnessed it (I used to work in Holborn) - just not got caught by it as I used public transport to get to work. But, as an experienced driver, I could see it was a nightmare. And whether I've actually seen something or not, I posted the link to refute the idea that all road markings (and subsequent camera fines) were necessarily legitimate even where deemed (until over-ridden) 'legal'. When it is made effectively impossible (or very difficult) not to break the law, then the law itself may be questionable. Local authorities, in particular, can be quick to institute bye-laws which become revenue generating, especially when they involve vehicles, with less concern about, for instance good order and traffic flow than in making money. Hence clamping vehicles which are an 'obstruction' thus making the obstruction longer and worse.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> http://www.standard.co.uk/news/box-junction-cut-do

> wn-to-size-6984361.html

You realise that that article doesn't substantiate anything about your claim that councils create restrictions to raise revenue, right? And that all you've done is make the same claim over and over again without any proof?

• 1 month later...
camera are great in theory but just seems to be used time and time again by local councils to catch unsuspecting motorists out and raise money. in my opinion what we should be asking is why is there an no entry on a quiet residential road off main street traffic

"in my opinion what we should be asking is why is there an no entry on a quiet residential road off main street traffic"

Because if there wasn't the no entry sign it wouldn't be a quiet residental street, it would become a diagonal ratrun to get from Bellenden Road, Rye Lane and the Peckham Road to East Dulwich Grove, saving having to go round Peckham Rye and Goose Green.

tommy2 Wrote:

> camera are great in theory but just seems to be

> used time and time again by local councils to

> catch unsuspecting motorists out and raise money.

> in my opinion what we should be asking is why is

> there an no entry on a quiet residential road off

> main street traffic

i grow up on copleston road and my father still lives there and over the years the only effect i've notices regarding the No Entry is now the rat runners have to circle around or reverse along Oglander road looking for a way out. there is still a rat run alone copleston down Soamers or Avondale then onwards along bellenden road and those in the know uses it all the time. so i too have to ask how is the No Entry improving the road conditions and who will benefit from its enforcement.

ed_pete Wrote:

> ..and that discussion of a yellow box junction in

> Holborn is way off topic.

I personally couldn't get past someone equating that a roadside camera being installed to spy on drivers ignoring a 'no entry' sign to that of having one installed in your living room.

Well we've just moved to Copleston Road and we're delighted with how quiet it is in terms of traffic - though we do live below Soames Street and Avondale, for this end of the road it's certainly a benefit. Mind you, we moved here after ten years of living right on Denmark Hill so probably anything would seem quiet by comparison! I'm sure some canny locals use the cutrhough you mention but without the no entry I'm sure a lot more traffic would use Copleston as a way to avoid the lights at Sainsburys and outside East Dulwich station, coming out lower down. Anything which keeps non-residential traffic to the main roads is surely an environmental and safety benefit?