So much for James Barber's contributions.....

Hi Acid Casual,

Greendales is in South Camberwell ward.

This summer all the lighting was replaced (at great expense). Still a few gaps of darkness between lamp posts but it has been improved.

Lots of little bits that all contribute to making this path less desirable. I'm a regular user and report graffiti about once a fortnight.

It will always feel forbidding as it has little passive surveillance and few people use it after dark. QED. To make it first class would need a lot of cash. Would it increase walking and cycling and be value for money? I'd say yes.

One of the flagship policies for the Lib Dems running Southwark Council is that each area gets around ?350,000 a year to spend on improving things - making the footpath wide enough so pedestrians don't walk in the cycle path, more lighting columns, improving ther junction with the path to Sainsburys, improving the path to Sainsburys, improving the path to Bessemer Grange. Hopefully the Camberwell councillors will decide to prioritise Greendale this year.

To prod them apply for Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding.

Hi ontheedge,

I was quoting figures for East Dulwich ward. This is a smaller area than the one we all think of as East Dulwich. Their have been two one month blips which where houses with flats was burgled BUT we've also had months with zero burglaries. So the average is now dramatically down. However, the effects are wearing of hence the extra 1,000 kits. Crucially we'll be reminding previous recipients that they need to use the kits to have an affect.

If you want to dramatically reduce your chances of being burgled then get in touch either directly with the East Dulwich Police Safer Neighbourhood Team [email protected] 020 8721 2447

OR ping me an email with your contact details - name, address, phone number.

I applied for similar funding in neighbouring wards but local Labour and Conservative councillors declined to fund such schemes for Village, College, South Camberwell The Lane or Peckham Rye.

One view expressed to me is that 'burglary is the Polices problem'. I'll try again but don't hold out much hope.

Hi Acid Casual,

The lighting is definately better than it was. Horrid weak yellow lighting and fewer lamp posts.

Greendale needs a holistic review to resolve the bordering land uses - derelict land attracts problems. The fencing of this derelict land for a while. The anti social activities have reduced in terms of the number of problems I get to report.

Happy to meet anyone interested on Greendale and talk through the issues and how we can resolve them.

Regarding Greendale, the councillors that are in the south camberwell ward are

Peter John - [email protected]

Veronica Ward - [email protected]

Jenny jones - [email protected]

Greendale has been an on-going issue, which the councillors are trying to resolve in south camberwell. It is an issue that the South camberwell safer neighbourhood team are also aware of and are talking to partners in problem solving this area. I believe councillors are struggling to gain information about the land which is stopping the ability to find who is responsible, which is holding things up. It is quite complex for me to understand, but the people you need to speak to are the councillors above who will be able to tell you more.

I am aware peter john and veronica ward are very much on the case, not sure about Jenny Jones.

Hope this helps

Acid casual + James Barber, happy to get involved too about this - As a parent of Bessemer who makes the journey three times a day, it would be good to get something sorted...keen for my kids to be able to do after school clubs which at the moment is not possible as there is no safe route home after dark....

I should point out I'm the Southwark councillor Cycling and Walking champion. Also a regular user of Greendale both for walking and cycling with kids. Member of Southwark Living Streets and Southwark Cyclists.

I submitted the Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding to the Dulwich Community Council that improved the southern end.

Regretably the kink or chicane in Greendale was put in at the request of South Camberwell Councillor Veronica Ward. Its created an area where cyclists are zooming though taking the shortest line but so do the pedestrians. Clear in my mind it would'nt pass a proper safety audit as at some point they will collide. The officer who allowed this has now left Southwark Council. Also vehicles accessing the sports fields cut the corners and are churning up the mud. A tremendous waste of money to make this part of Greendale unsightly and dangerous. Its also made it more expensive to achieve the goal to have a wider pavement for pedestrians making it more attractive with a kerb making a clearer seperation between cyclists and pedestrians.

Propose that all interest parties walk Greendale early in the new year.

How about meeting at the southern end of Greendale 8am Tuesday 5 January and walking along to the northern end making lots of notes about how it would ideally be improved.

I'll make sure I send an invite to South Camberwell councillors.

I don't think yourself as an east dulwich councillor is allowed to do such action in another wards. I have given the contacts for people to speak to.

As someone who lives in south camberwell I am very happy with what my councillors are trying to do about Greendales. They are working hard to resolve this area, along with the safer neighbourhoods team, but are up against some legal loop holes, which they are trying to unravel.

It would help the actual councillors if you would contact them to arrange to meet them, which I am sure they would be happy to do. They have been very helpful to me with very complex issues.

We also have a new Sergeant just joined the south camberwell safer neighbourhoods team, who has not been in post for very long but is already on the case to resolve this issue one of the main priorities that has been assessed by him and his team. It is not fair you are trying to persue this without the councillors and my new sergeant's knowledge. This is an on going issue with very complex legal issues attached and they are doing things about it.

I am upset that you are putting my hard working councillors down. They can give anyone who asks for it more information on Greendales difficulties they are having, you just need to call or email them. I will inform them of your concerns and to expect your emails, which has already resently been reported. It is up to you to let them know your concerns.

Regards

Steady Eddy, I agree all the councillors, police and members of the public should be working together on this but I think it's a bit harsh to say that Mr Barber should not get involved by organising a site visit, which he did emphasise he would invite the Camberwell councillors to (Maybe the Police could be invited to?). If not in the capacity of a councillor he has pointed out that he is a user of the area, surely that gives him the right to get involved? - I see it more as doubling the interest/movement of change by involving the Dulwich users end. I will make an effort to be there at 8 on the fifth - sorry geography is not my strongest point...Is that the East Dulwich Grove End?

Hi Steady Eddy,

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

I have been appointed by all 63 councillors to be the cycling and walking champion for all Southwark.

Greendale is a prime walking and cycling route.

I receive queries from wards held by Lib Dems, Tories and Lib Dems both inside and outside Southwark. When a resident asks for help I try and help them and usually make sure they would'nt prefer to deal with their elected ward representatives. Some people prefer to deal with a person of the same party they voted for. Some aren't happy with the response when they've tried to contact their ward councillors.

Hi Cora, Yes the East Dulwich Gorve end right by the railway bridge.