Turning a back to back baby - help!

byngo

My son was in this position until 39 weeks. I spent evenings sitting on a birthing ball playing scrabble and this is what I believe turned him! Its to do with the position of your knees being slightly higher than your pelvis enabling baby more room to move around and get into the correct position. Hope this helps and good luck!

Spinning Babies as mentioned by Fuchsia is a good site. Almost too much information but if you have time it's great.

Do you have an anterior placenta? I did and had a back to back baby for a while (from the baby's perspective it's easier to "embrace" the placenta than to rest on it with your back) - lots of exercise learned at pregnancy yoga and using the birthing ball may have helped because although she didn't turn completely the way I wanted her to (her back was slightly to the left of the middle of the bump), she turned enough to have her head in the ideal birth position.

Acupuncture and reflexology may help too, I'm one of those who don't really believe in these techniques but will try them anyway "just in case" in situations like these - I'm not sure what they really did but if anything it was relaxing!

My first baby was posterior rigt up until labour, and he was big.. 8lb 7 while I am 5ft 2. But he was mobie (acu helped) and the mw said he would probably shift in labour and he did. Still came out at a funny angle .. ROA rather than LOA but he did shift from ROP .. he was born at 41+4 and I had a lot of crampy pains in the days before so I think that was him getting into a better position.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbasics/ss/fetalpositions_2.htm

Def worth avoiding induction if you can and your baby is posterior!!

My baby is head-down but at an angle (ie the spine is at about 2 o'clock as I look down on my belly) - is this a problem or should I be trying to turn him/her to 12 o'clock?

On a related topic, I am desperately keen not to be induced and wondered if anyone had any tips to bring on labour spontaneously. I'm trying the usual: sex, raspberry leaf tea, walking, curry, etc but willing to try reflexology and acupuncture. What is the general opinion and can anyone recommend any practitioners?

My baby is due on Tuesday.

Many thanks!

EmmaG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On a related topic, I am desperately keen not to

> be induced and wondered if anyone had any tips to

> bring on labour spontaneously. I'm trying the

> usual: sex, raspberry leaf tea, walking, curry,

> etc but willing to try reflexology and

> acupuncture. What is the general opinion and can

> anyone recommend any practitioners?

>

> My baby is due on Tuesday.

>

> Many thanks!

you can go to 42w before you worry

evening primrose oil capsules popped nr the cervix has same effect as sex

acu didy help for me first labour and reflexology stimulated contractions in the second

Emma, my baby was LOA too and her head was in the right position.

As for maternity reflexology, I can recommend Katie Sedgwick http://www.yell.com/s/reflexology-dulwich-south+east+london.html

As for acupuncture, I can recommend Giles Davies http://www.gilesdavies.com/contact.htm

Both local.

My baby came 2 lovely weeks early, almost certainly because she was just ready to come out but you never know what the reflexology and acupuncture did to help!

• 8 months later...

Thank you for the recommendation. My website is www.kstherapy.co.uk as the yell link does not seem to work according to one of my clients. I am more than happy to answer any questions by phone or email should anyone have any queries about maternity reflexology or craniosacral therapy. I work from home in East Dulwich also from Neal's Yard in Borough (London Bridge) & Clapham.

Katie Sedgwick [email protected] 0787 9633674

I had acupuncture just before becoming pregnant from a lovely local woman called tracy goulding - http://www.essentialtherapia.com/breech.html - she works at a practice on crystal palace road and sometimes from home. I can't recommend her highly enough, less expensive than others (e.g. at the vale practice, tho angelo is also very nice) and just generally warm yet professional. Good luck!