swimming with a baby (3 month old)

embo71

We've been taking our daughter from about 10 weeks. We go to Peckham, to the jelly babies sessions. Only stay in about 15-20 mins, but apart from that, have fun!!

PS I don't think you need one of the neoprene swimsuits there as the water is very warm, my daughter just wears a swim nappy and a costume but other babies just wear swim nappies.

Agree that Jelly Babies at Peckham is best. It's nice and warm. But don't assume that liking the bath will mean she likes the pool. I took my daughter at about 4 months and it was a disaster. She wailed, I struggled on, other mums swam up to offer advice (which was nice but made me feel like a total failure) before we beat a hasty retreat.

Tried again 3 months later and she loved it.

I didn't bother with baby swimming with 2nd baby, but we went to Spain when she was 10 months old and she couldn't get enough of the swimming pool. I used a washable swim nappy and a neoprene, velcro fastening swim suit over the top as the water is really cold (we go every year so I knew in advance that we'd need it). With the neoprene suit on she was happy in the water for ages, and actually took to crawling at max speed for the pool whenever she could (scary, but thank goodness for many hands around the pool making light work of it)!

Hope you have lots of fun, I find the whole getting them changed thing at Peckham such a faff, with nowhere to really put them down while you change etc. so afraid I tend to wimp out mostly!

Molly

With No 1 I went to these people and it was the best thing we did:

http://www.littledippers.co.uk/

With No 2 I had less time, so just went to Beckhenham Spa (which also has a nice warm baby pool, but seems to have more flexible times and no need to book in advance).

I agree about the neoprene jacket thing, it does help with the cold when they are so tiny. JoJo Maman Bebe sell them I think.

On the changing faff, I found it was really good to go with a partner/friend or mum for the first few times. It soon gets managable on your own, particularly if you manage to nab one of the red changing table things.

My boy found peckham so warm that he nearly fell asleep in the pool the first time...in one of those inflatable seats.

That's a good suggestion bea-f - having someone else to help/hold them makes a big difference. I find it harder once they are rolling / mobile as nowhere to put them that is dry whilst you change yourself, unless you've got a buggy to strap them into (whilst you are shivering and wet) brrrr.

We sometimes go swimming at a pool down in Kent when visiting my in-laws and that's fine as it has nice changing rooms with a dry floor, lots of space and even a play pen - luxury!

Brrr, can't even think about swimming when it is this cold - I'm a wimp I know!

Molly

My little one really enjoys it, but I need to make sure to get out of the pool whilst she's still enjoying it. If I wait until there is any sign of tiredness then by the time we get out and dressed it's too late! Like BizzyLizzy said just stay in maybe 15 or so minutes.

Have fun...