Car Jump

bermygirl31

It's not a service that garages offer in London - they're focussed on repairing cars in their workshops - and I reckon they get several call-outs a day for flat batteries and tires that they cannot afford to attend to.

If you want a breakdown service, you have to call a dedicated one, like Kavanagh Group, did you ask the garages if they knew anyone who could help?

Different in small countries and the countryside as the local garage owner can probably afford to attend any call out he gets (and I've known farmers give up their time to tow cars out of ditches).

One of the facts of living in a city I'm afraid. On the plus side you get a public transport and taxi service that many country dwellers would kill for!

bermygirl31 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No haven't asked neighbours. I've never seen

> anyone on my street talk to each other, so I would feel awkward.

I think in London neighbours are often reluctant to "break the ice" because they think it's not the done thing. But I reckon if you actually talk to them, you'll be surprised. While some of them will inevitably turn out to be miserable, unfriendly, or downright hostile, the other 25% will probably be quite normal and friendly.

Knocked my neighbours door on New Years Eve brandishing booze and coal and extolling the virtues of first footing. Seemed happy enough to see me.

Often chat over the fence now!

Jeremy Wrote:

> bermygirl31 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > No haven't asked neighbours. I've never seen

> > anyone on my street talk to each other, so I

> would feel awkward.

>

> I think in London neighbours are often reluctant

> to "break the ice" because they think it's not the

> done thing. But I reckon if you actually talk to

> them, you'll be surprised. While some of them will

> inevitably turn out to be miserable, unfriendly,

> or downright hostile, the other 25% will probably

> be quite normal and friendly.

TheCat Wrote:

> All of the technicalities of jump starting or push

> starting aside, the OP has effectively partially

> responded to her own complaint....

>

> Living in a big metropolis is inherently more

> 'unfriendly' than smaller towns.....I think you'll

> find this relationship holds the world over....its

> a downside of City living....

I don't really agree with that. I find people round here really friendly. Also, i'm willing to bet that if you knocked on your neighbours door they would help you.

uncleglen Wrote:

> I've have never actually lived next door to anyone

> in London who could communicate in English since

> 1981!

Is this a racist comment, on an observation that your SE London neighbours either can't pronounce their constanants (or cottannts) or are from posher areas and have plum in their mouths.

Anyway onto relevant matters - majority of people I have asked for assistance including garage mechanics have helped. Some are selfish poos. Most fun thing was getting a group of builders to help lift an old Saab engine out by hand. Last time I asked for help with a push start two 18 year olds just ignored me. I told them what I thought (selfish barstools) and asked a couple of older blokes who were fine. Not sure if it is a generation thing.

PM me if you want a handw with said car.

A W Electrics in Catford are great, you'll have to pay call out of course. 25 Scrooby St 020 8690 7584

Bloke in the old stables other side of Moor Park Garage is also good. Haven't got his number on me.

Jeremy Wrote:

> On a tangent - is it actually possible to push

> start a modern car (electronic engine management,

> keyless ignition, etc.)?

Don't know about keyless, but for others it should be - the most modern car I've bump-started was my neighbours 05 registered VW Golf - if the ignition is in the II position and the motor starts to turn, then the sensors will instruct the computer to send fuel and sparks. Computer shouldn't care whether the instructions come from the sensors or the key.

Of course once my battery was completely dead (11 years old) and I couldn't jump start, as there wasn't enough power for the sensors or fuel pump...

bermygirl31 Wrote:

> No haven't asked neighbours. I've never seen

> anyone on my street talk to each other, so I would

> feel awkward. It's an Audi A3, not modern but I

> take your point. Yes I offered to pay the garage.

> The hysterical part is I am on Derwent grove and

> Kwik Fit are at the end.

There is no way a corporate garage like Kwikfit would do that. Maybe an independent garage - but only if they were close to your house.