Censorship....good or bad?

TonyQuinn

I hate to be all non-negative nancy or is that positive pete or something, anyway I digress.

Err, where was I again?

Oh yeah commuting. I know we all love to complain, bu if I'm going to be honest, having commuted five years from ED station and now five from Denmark hill I actually think it's ok. I always get a seat and if I miss one there'll be another and if snow affects things I check the website and get there early and if things are going wrong I can jump on a bus and worst comes to the worst I can bloody well walk to work in 45 minutes.

So forgive me if I don't sign but things really aren't all that bad. How about channelling all that angst and energy and joining brum in looking out for the crumblies in the area who really do seem to be having a bad time of it?

Just my halfpenny's worth.

Occasionally people have managed to keep a thread not 'specifically' about ED in the general section.

They did it by asking nicely and pleading a reasonable case in a civil and reasonable manner - as opposed to mooing indignantly like a startled cow.

Blimey, out to make friends aren't we Tony.

I think sean is simply trying to point out two things:

1) noone granted admin power. He set up a site and runs it at his own expense. Whether people visit is up to them. Noone dictates what is and isn't of interest to residents of the area, he has no monopoly on that. He does however have a published set of rules by which the site is run, hopefully to the benefit of the vast majority. Which leads nicely to

2) no censorship at all on Internet fora tends to lead to very very poor user experiences. Such a site may have more traffic but I doubt it would steal much traffic from this site for the very reasons you complained about, ie this stays relevant to the area, an anything goes site almost certainly wouldn't.

No need to get uptight man, he was merely making an observation.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tony, is that really you? Have you come back to

> us? Oh Tony, we have missed you so.

>

> Tell us, what news from Kent? And your lady

> friends? And black people in general?

>

> Ah, the good ol' days return...

Very good, DC. I chuckled.:))(tu):)-D. Etc etc. a la TLS.

I take your point Mockney but I'm not here to make friends, honest. If I were, I clearly failed. I appreciate the job the administrator does and join in the debates on this forum as and when I think it is merited. My initial query on this was about First Crapital Connect. My view, contrary to yours is that it's garbage and has got worse and worse and we should do what we can to improve things. So sign the petition people but only if you agree with it.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FirstCC/

mockney - are there two Denmark Hill stations? I don't recognise the one you describe and if you think the service for the past few months has been 'good' then I admire your fortitude.

and it's not about having a general whinge about public transport, though I agree us Londoners do like to have a moan about these things, but in general do nothing about it. The FCC service issue is really about having better expectations and holding the people responsible to account which I guess is what the First Craptial website is trying to do.

I don't think tony's post got off to the best start and talking about censorship is a bit ott but I don't think he deserves all the sarcasm either. though that is the way of the lounge I guees.

Tony - passion is an excellent beginning but it isn't enough. Passion is useless without persuasion*. There nothing to be gained by storming on here and having a pop at admin et al - you've immediately taken your own argument off onto a tangent. Admin does a great job and it IS his forum - he pays for it and he puts the hours in.

Frankly if this thread hadn't been lounged then I would never have seen it. I haven't got the time to read about the issues at the moment but I will make time later.

* it's the second time I've said that this week - but who's counting

Pope, I am being genuine.

I measure satisfaction by how often I get into the type of mood where I would gladly chop people into small pieces if I didnt get to a gin and tonic in time.

Living on the northern line (balham, east finchley and balham in that order) that was a regular occurence, especially as any problem meant buses were impossible to get onto and a walk would result in a two hour grumble fest.

Here I have so many other options, and to be honest being more than half an hour late home (without Brendan, D_C or FnB and ludicrously strong cider being responsible) is genuinely once in a blue moon and was actually no times at all even during the worst of the weather, that the urge to kill basically never comes.

With that in mind I honestly can't complain.