Oakwood midwives - advice needed please

MichelleT

Hi there,

New to the forun but wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I'm fourteen weeks pregnant at 42 and tending to be a bit nervous - first baby and all that. My partner and I were delighted when we found out that through Forest Hill Surgery we would have access to the much praised Oakwood Midwives. Unfortunately so far our experience has been pretty disappointing and I guess I'm looking for reassurance that everything will be ok, otherwise I may have to consider changing.

I had an appointment in early December; we were told by the receptionist at the surgery that there was noone to see us even though Emily the coordinator was there. After this I spoke to Emily who suggested that I went for my dating/nuchal scan and then arranged a booking in appointment after that. Unfortunately my booking in appointment had to be cancelled due to the snow, though we did manage to see Emily for blood tests. She promised that a midwife would be in touch.

That was over a week ago and though I have left numerous messages on their answerphone no-one has come back to me - I haven't been given any paperwork so I'm in a weird sort of limbo. I appreciate that their workload is heavy and unpredictable but even some reassurance on the phone would help - its the silence and lack of responsiveness that alarms me.

Can anyone share their experiences/give any advice? At the moment I am thinking about trying to switch to the Lanes as we are in the catchment area for their practice too.

Hi I have had a similar sort of experience too.

I am 13 weeks and went for my 1st scan last week.

At 11 weeks I rang FHR practice as I had come down with quite a bad cold, and wondered if they suggested I take anything, come in maybe (i wasnt sure). I asked the receptionist to book me in with a midwife - she said this wasnt possible a midwife would book me in i cant book myself in with a midwife....

Ok so how do I go about that then? she asked what my issue was... well I am 11 weeks pregnant and haven't heard from anybody since I walked in and confirmed my pregnancy about 9 weeks ago!

The receptionist was completely shocked, which in turn shocked me - and of course worried me. She gave me the number for Oakwood and said I should contact them immediately.

So I did, and was met with the dreaded answer machine. By now I was quite upset, it is my first pregnancy also, and I just felt let down. I left quite an emotional/worried message and they did get back to me.

A lady left me a message to say there was no need to see me until 16-18 weeks, and was fairly reassuring.

The following day I had another phone call from Oakwood which I picked up. This was now the Monday before my first scan on Friday 15th Jan. This phone call was from Emily the coordinator, who said yes in fact I should have come in and especially as the hospital will also need access to blood tests when I go in on friday!

So along I went on Tuesday morning for my blood tests! I have to say I felt alot better after tuesday, I was given a named midwife with two others that will alternate throughout my classes based in my home and assured that one of these midwives will be with my throughout my labour...

Last night I received a letter from Oakwood Midwives, and now due to unforeseen circumstances they can no longer do any of my visits from home, all will be based in the surgery and I will not necessarily have the midwives first stated to me.

I am going to stick with them I think, but I understand completely how you feel.

They're really, really bad with the general answerphone. Really, really bad. They get exponentially better after your first appointment though and once you've got their pager numbers they're always very quick to get back to you. I found that the care improves as your pregnancy progresses but it is indeed a bit unpleasant if you're 13 weeks pregnant with your first and you don't really feel your pregnancy is being taken seriously at all!

With my first pregnancy I was at a medical centre that didn't have a similar midwifery service (yet, at the time) and I didn't hear about Oakwood until my booking appointment at King's which was just before or after my NT scan. So once I was on Oakwood's list all was good as I was already 15 weeks along. This time round, with my second pregnancy, I went straight to Oakwood but only first saw Emily when I was 11 weeks along and only had my first appointment with a midwife at 13 or 14 weeks.

It may seem odd but there's just not THAT much they can really do or say at this stage, especially if you're feeling well. But with it being your first pregnancy you do need that contact and that reassurance and they should take care of that a bit better (e.g. do an earlier "intake" and then let you wait until 16-18 weeks).

Long story short: it sucks until you've actually seen a midwife and been given the paperwork and phone numbers. From then on, it's great. Which team are you with, jayd? Julie's team? I'm with the other team and wondering if I may get the same letter or if it's a resource issue within the team... I'm planning on a homebirth and quite like the idea of them knowing how to get to our flat when my labour starts.. had a very quick labour last time round!

Hi ladies,

Just to say that it seems to be standard in Southwark that you are not seen by midwives until after the 12-14 week scan / blood tests at Kings. Think my appointments (a while ago) were from 16 weeks onwards, and not frequent until much later on.

Know it seems hard, but the Lanes practice said to me that there isn't much that the midwife can advise on or monitor in the first trimester, other than the normal advice about not smoking, taking folic acid etc. It isn't even necessary to visit to "confirm the pregnancy" as home tests are so reliable now.

Also, if you have any medical issues, e.g. viruses, or want to check things, the GP surgery can usually help. For urgent problems, e.g. bleeding or pain, Kings (Jubilee wing, 3rd floor) has an early pregnancy walk-in service (doctor-led) every weekday morning (though it gets really busy and waiting times can be long, so best to arrive early - 8.30am).

Re. changing, it might be difficult as all the practices get busy.

Yup, I also had my first scan before seeing the Oakwood midwives and felt a bit lost, especially when one of the sonographers looked surprised that I hadn't seen a midwife at that stage, but once I had met them they were amazing. And as Sanne Panne said, they're just too busy to return messages left on answerphone - unless in their eyes it's v serious, in which case you would probably have their pager.

I think I read v recently on here that there had been 13 or 15 births with the Oakwood midwives recently so of course they've had their hands full, plus perhaps having taken on some Albany mums.

I know it's easy to say 'don't worry' but really, I would stay with them. I was very inspired by these women and having read and heard other birth stories over the last year since I had my son, I am more and more grateful for having had the expertise and support of the Oakwood ladies during my pregnancy and labour, and aftercare.

The other thing to point out is that although you will have been allocated a named midwife, there will be a chance later on to meet all the midwives in the group as it could be any one of them who delivers your baby. I agree it's a shame that you can't have home visits for check-ups but I would still stick with them, this was quite a luxury according to my non-Oakwood friends.

Good luck ladies!

I'm with Oakwood for my second pregnancy and like you, was fed up of leaving messages on the dreaded answermachine. However once you do get an appointment (mine was at 16 weeks) you will get the pager number of your named midwife and it's much easier to get in touch with them and they're very good at responding. From what I can gather, one or two of the midwives are leaving at the mo so maybe that's why there's the confusion. I haven't had the letter yet though which is a shame as with a toddler, one of the attractions of Oakwood is seeing a midwife in your own home.

I had Oakwood with my first baby and they were brilliant - both at the birth and the aftercare. Even if you don't get your named three midwives, all six of them seemed great and just the fact that you get someone to come and examine you in your own home who can prevent all the to-ing and fro-ing to hospital is invaluable and is the kind of service a lot of people pay thousands for with a private midwife. Oakwood always have a long waiting list so if I were you I would keep your place.

Thank you everyone; I just managed to speak to Linda who reassured me that Sarah-Ann will be calling. It might seem a bit neurotic (hormones aren't helping!) but I was very excited to be so lucky - one of my friends is hiring an independent midwife to get this level of care - and then felt let down and disappointed. I know that all is well with Gherkin - the scan results are fine - so I now want to get on with things and was a bit stuck.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Michelle

As has already been said, it is quite usual not to see the midwife until after the first scan. Routine appointments usually start from around 16-17 weeks. It's frustrating, but for the first trimester all you can do is sit and wait.

And if you have a cold or anything not directly related to pregnancy, you should contact your GP/NHS direct not the midwives.

Good luck!

We had an amazingly positive expeirience with oakwood midwives, they were caring kind proffessional and we could not be happier with the whole experience. Stick with them for sure, Linda is amazing I would trust her above your hormones and you wont be let down, She delivered our wonderful Elsabel last week and Anna and I really rate her and all the others, so relax it will all be fine.

Good luck with your pregnancy

hugs.xxx

To be honest I have an underlying feeling that all will be fine - which is why I think I will stick with them. The ladies I have met have been lovely.

And I can see that just because it is our first pregnancy and we are entering into a world of the unknown - we are slightly shocked that actually nobody needs to see us!

It is more the reassurance that I have lacked - but still I have passed that first hurdle now I am confident it will get much better!

Just wanted to say that I/we used the Oakwood midwives with our first daughter (now 2.5 years) and The Lanes for our second (4 weeks) and both midwife practices were absolutely fabulous. I can't remember when the monthly meetings started but both teams came to our home when it was convenient for us, were reliable and helpful - and when the time came were really, really professional in seeing our daughters into the world (unplanned home birth for #1 and unplanned hospital dash for #2). We changed doctors practices from Forest Hill to Crystal Palace Road after the birth of #1 purely for the standard of medical care and administration - absolutely not for the quality of care and support from the midwife teams.

Hope that helps x

And I can see that just because it is our first pregnancy and we are entering into a world of the unknown - we are slightly shocked that actually nobody needs to see us!

-------------------------------------

That's entirely normal we felt like that too!!

I only heard of the Oakwood midwives through this forum (thank you!) when I was 15 weeks pregnant (my first). I was previously with a GP that didn't have a midwife linked to Kings so I had my first 2 appointments with the Community Midwives based at Kings. They are all very nice there but I felt like my appointments were very rushed, I had to sit in the waiting room for ages, I didn't have much chance to ask questions, and there was no continuity of care (all fair enough given the huge number of women they have to deal with). I fortunately live in the catchment for Forest Hill GP so after reading such good things about the Oakwood midwives on here, (and being a bit disillusioned with my other GP who gave me no information at all on my pregnancy care options and left me to sort myself out after I opted for Kings over Lewisham), I switched, and am now (at 20 weeks pregnant) with the Oakwood team. I had my first appointment earlier this week, at home, and was told that unless the team have been very busy with deliveries all at the same time on the days prior to my appointment, then they will generally see me at home. I have no problem with going to the surgery but it is great that they come to us if they can, I imagine this is particularly useful later in pregnancy.

Until I got the first appointment arranged I had the same issue with the answerphone but I just called a few times until I got to speak to my named midwife and now it all feels very straight forward. I must say, I feel very lucky to be with the Oakwood team - I am feeling much happier and reassured about everything after just 1 apppointment. I am sure you will be too MichelleT once you have met with your midwife. I would recommend you stick with them!

It's interesting about when you get seen/at which stage -think it must vary from place to place. when I got pregnant I was living in Islington and my doctor referred me to UCH community midwives, my booking in appt was at 9 weeks and everything kind of stemmed from t here - scans etc - so I couldn't have gone for my scan without seeing my midwife if you see what I mean.

I think this not seeing you til after the first scan is a newish thing. I am expecting my third and remember seeing a doctor or midwife at least once before then for my other two pregnancies.

I think it must be a cost saving thing but I worry that it means that the basic information about folic acid etc is not getting to mothers in early pregnancy. I think it also starts the pregnancy off on a wrong step - by the time you are 3 months pregnant you have lived with the pregnancy for a long time, often not telling colleagues, family etc...so an initial confirmation, support appointment is important I think. But I guess it is felt that when resources are tight it's not important enough?!

Don't know if 10 years ago is newish but I did not see Oakwood midwife until after first scan with first child and probably not until 16 or so weeks with second child. If you are at all nervous or concerned your GP should always be your first point of call. Midwives do provide support at regular period throughout a pregnancy but it is your GP who is best placed to assess whether there are any concerns that require further investigation.

Lots of speculation about what the expectation should be. Perhaps someone who has some idea of the Oakwood's care plan could contribute.

Oh dear; after a horridly stressful day at work I came home to find a letter from Oakwood like jayd5's; they've given me an appointment at 12.30 (very difficult to get time off work, so will have to take a day's holiday), can no longer see me at home so I have to go to the surgery (that's fine, and understandable if they are understaffed) and if I can't make the set time may have to wait another month for a new appointment.

None of this would bother me much if I hadn't been sent home by the surgery receptionist from my original appointment! At the time, on the phone, one of the midwives said 'well you know you can take time off for ante-natal appointments'. That's fine, but I haven't told work I'm pregnant yet, partly because I still don't have any paperwork from my midwife! So its a vicious circle. The GP I saw at FHS was totally disinterested in my pregnancy and said I'd be looked after by the midwives and Kings for any scans.

I'm also concerned about any knock on effects the lack of staff might have on continuing care...

What to do?

I'd also like to add that I didn't see an Oakwood midwife until I was 17 weeks. I began to get quite paranoid that they'd forgotten me and left a few messages. When I did see Linda she was able to find the baby's heartbeat and all was fine. She did say that it is normal not to be seen until 16 weeks or so.

Lots of luck with your pregnancy!

Unfortunately you only seem to be taken seriously once you're 3 months plus gone .. guess that makes the pregnancy viable .. but for the first time mother those are the most important 3 months and all you want is some support and reassurance that you're doing everything right and what happens next ..

You do have to just sit tight and wait - you generally get your 2 scans and your appointments get more frequent as the time gets closer but you will eventually start to feel like you're in control .. and all the midwives seem to be really good but they're just super busy

Another idea is to maybe gather local pregnant ladies so you can support each other? I made friends with local ladies and we used to meet once a week for a coffee and chat about pretty much anything to do with being pregnancy, including the latest midwife appointments.

Keep badgering your midwives though - I was with Brierley (they're amazing) and I certainly kept on at them - good luck with it all ;-)

I think this is such a hard thing...first time you are pregnant it feels like such a huge adventure, and you can't wait to start to see the midwives as it makes it more 'real', all totally natural.

But in those early weeks as others have already said there is really very little they can do, other than advise on Folic Acid and diet etc. which I guess these days is communicated in other ways (sometimes more effectively than others I know). My experience was that I'd go to the Doctors to say I was pregnant, they never checked, just took my word for it, and would then complete the necessary papers to get me the 12 week scan at Kings. This all happened very efficiently.

I do remember first time around the midwife tried to find the heartbeat and couldn't as it was so early, and I remember being really disappointed about that, and that must have been before my 12 week scan, but maybe around 10 weeks? Second time around I was with the Brierly and didn't see them until beyond 12 weeks.

Because of my 3 miscarriages and ectopic I've also spent a lot of time at Kings EPU (Early Pregnancy Unit) between first and second pregnancy, and if ever you are worried about things in those early weeks do go along. Be warned though the wait can be dreadful as already mentioned, so try to get there at 8.30am and take a good book with you. Oh and also, in early pregnancy you have to have an 'internal' scan - with a probe as scanning on your tummy will not work that early on..... It is well worth the wait though if you are feeling worried about things.

In general though, do try to relax and enjoy your early weeks of pregnancy, 2nd time around it is so different, and a lot more hectic (!!!), so make sure you get plenty of sofa time now while you can!!

Hope that in time the home visits get re-instated when staff levels return to normal as that is a big bonus, though with Brierley you only get home visits for your booking appointment, and then right at the end of the pregnancy (from 36 weeks I think), and I didn't find it a problem going to them for the appointments inbetween.

In a strange way I really envy you the adventure you are just beginning :))

Molly

Thanks Molly - I've had my three month scan and everything is fine with the baby; I'm nearly 15 weeks now, so I'm keen to get all the paperwork sorted out so I can tell work and make it all 'official'. Also we're going to Kenya in a couple of weeks so I wanted to ask about malaria tablets and generally get some advice on flying etc.

EDMummy, I wouldn't take a day off to go to the doctors normally, but because the appointment is right in the middle of the day it wouldn't be worth me going in and I know my boss won't take kindly to it. He doesn't know I'm pregnant and would expect me to make an appointment which has minimal impact on the rest of the team - we are a very small company and I can't keep having time off to go the doctors, they'll think I have a terminal illness!

Thanks for all the kind words and advice!

Michelle, you don't need paperwork for work at this stage, so I would just tell them.

You get a form to hand in for maternity leave but not until later in the pregnancy.

Some people take weeks off in early pregnancy due to sickness, so a day for an appointment is reallynotsomething they can complain about. You sound very conscientious so I am sure it would be fine. Could you take some work home with you that say if need be?

Molly

x