Adult toothpaste for small children

katyc

One of my friends has been advised to go straight to adult toothpaste for her children (10 months and 3.5 years) as apparently the water here does not contain the recommended amount of flouride.

Has anyone else been told to do this? I haven't heard anything so still have mine on the 0 - 3 years one.

We use the 0-3 toothpaste for our 2 1/2 year old and the 4-6 year toothpaste for our 5 year old. I use whitening toothpaste and my husband uses regular (whatever that is). Pathetic or what?

Probably doesn't matter in the end of the day as long as your children's teeth are being brushed twice a day and that they are not swallowing copious amounts of toothpaste.

I have been told dentists will advise adult toothpaste if there is a high risk of decay. The danger with stronger toothpaste if too much is used/swallowed later on teeth can get discoloured.

Milk teeth toothpaste we buy is 1000 ppm just like our adult paste, while DS1 has "Big teeth" which is 1400 ppm.

As long as the milk teeth toothpaste has fluoride in it I would guess you're ok (but I'm not a dentist)... it's just that the all natural brands (like Lavera) are very popular and those don't contain fluoride. With the lack of fluoride in the water this could cause problems in the longer run.

My sister is a consultant paediatric dentist and I asked her this very question. If your child has a healthy diet that is low in sugar, then there is no need to use the stronger adult toothpaste as there is a low risk of decay if the teeth are brushed twice a day. Excessive fluoride at a young age can result in flurosis which can cause white spots, and in severe cases, brown stains or pitting or mottling of enamel. If you use the stronger adult toothpaste you have to be very vigilant about them not swallowing it, which in my experience can be a bit tricky!

I read somewhere (may be on the back of the Milk Teeth box), that whilst they do the 'Big Teeth' version with 1400ppm fluoride in it, if your child had 'strong' teeth, no cavities etc. then you can stick with the 1000ppm version called 'Milk Teeth'.

On this basis both my girls 15 months and 5.5 years use the Milk Teeth brand with 1000ppm flouride in. So far my 5 year old has perfect teeth, which we generally manage to remember to brush twice a day (mornings can be tricky as it is an after breakfast just before school run thing).

Interesting thread, I've never heard the thing about using adult toothpaste on children, but don't think my two would be impressed with our Euthomol (like Marmite you either love it or you hate it!!).

Molly

I used adult on my LO one for a couple of days because her,s ran out .Though it says on the tube that a child under 6 should be given a pea size amount bla bla it gave my LO mouth ulcers so she wont be getting any adult toothpaste anymore.I personally think they can be too strong really.Silly me should have known before.

The health visitor came today for the 8 -11 month check.She gave me a toothbrush (little colgate baby one) and a large tube of adult Colgate toothpaste which she said was fine for babies and children.I really think the flavour will be too harsh though so I think I will stick to the mild Milk Teeth brand.Also there is no way that I would be able to stop her from swallowing it!!

I picked up a leaflet from King's Oral Health Team and they recommend a toothpaste which has at least 1,350 - 1,500 ppm fluoride in it. Then the whole family can use it. It's a problem if you start off with kiddy paste because if you have a fussy 6 year old like I do, they then refuse to move up to the stronger versions - they still want to use the milk teeth toothpast when all their milk teeth start dropping out. There is currently only 1 brand of toothpaste that is acceptable to our child - i have to buy in bulk so we don't run out!

i was advised by a professional at playgroup that you should use adult toothpaste but only certain brands for kids as the kids toothpaste is not good. Think sainsburys, tescos own ones are fine as doesnt have too much fluroide in them

Pickle - I didn't know what a "red book" was until mine was 5wks old as she had somehow slipped through the system.

I'm never too sure how seriously we should take cleaning teeth at just under 2. We clean our teeth together at every bathtime but she's obviously not very good at it - bit of a game really. She won't let ME put the toothbrush in her mouth, it's a complete battle so I figured as long as she's getting used to the idea of doing it herself, it shouldn't be too much of a problem at this early stage. Am I wrong? And if so, how do you clean your toddlers teeth?

And at what age should they start going to the dentist?

pommie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i was advised by a professional at playgroup that

> you should use adult toothpaste but only certain

> brands for kids as the kids toothpaste is not

> good. Think sainsburys, tescos own ones are fine

> as doesnt have too much fluroide in them

That seems rather muddled! The point about using adukt toothpaste is to get a higher dose of fluoride! Was this a HV gave that advice? They're not always on the ball IME

damzel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pickle - I didn't know what a "red book" was until

> mine was 5wks old as she had somehow slipped

> through the system.

>

> I'm never too sure how seriously we should take

> cleaning teeth at just under 2. We clean our

> teeth together at every bathtime but she's

> obviously not very good at it - bit of a game

> really. She won't let ME put the toothbrush in

> her mouth, it's a complete battle so I figured as

> long as she's getting used to the idea of doing it

> herself, it shouldn't be too much of a problem at

> this early stage. Am I wrong? And if so, how do

> you clean your toddlers teeth?

>

> And at what age should they start going to the

> dentist?

2 1/2 - 3 for the dentist (but take them with you, beforehand)

YES, YOU SHOULD BRUSH, ESP BEFORE BED. tRY HAVING ABRUSH FOR YOU, A BRUSH FIR THEM, AND SING A SONG?

Oops excuse caps

Yes, I find the two brush approach works well. Also, if all else fails a very good tip is sit on floor with legs open and lie them between your legs with head in your lap...they then tend to open their mouth for you so you can brush. Not always easy with a toddler, but I find the approach of "Mummy does it first, then you can have a go.....and if you play me up I will MAKE it happen (so they cry and you can then clean them) works. Sounds mean I know, but when it comes to looking after their teeth I reckon it's worth it, and they soon get the message.

Molly

my kids are a bit older (8 and 12) and have never had fillings however the dentist advised adult toothpaste for them now as the fluoride content is higher -but the problem is I have not yet found a mild mint adult toothpaste, they all seem to be super 'fresh' which = strong mint. can anyone suggest a mild mint adult toothpaste as I am amazed that I cannot find one!