Proposed 10km new double yellow lines across Dulwich

@Sally, I don't think the onus is on me to find this: in practice, even laws are applied in the context of a specific situation, and guidance (from anyone) even more so.

For example, 5mph above a 70mph limit on a motorway will not normally result in a prosecution for speeding, 5mph above a 30mph limit in a residential area could quite easily get you a ticket.

By the way, I have just amused myself reading some of the more unrealistic guidance in the Code i.e. not the "must / must not parts" which by and large seem perfectly fine. For example, good luck with Rule 148:

148. Safe driving and riding needs concentration

------------------------------------------------

Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

* loud music (this may mask other sounds)

* trying to read maps

* starting or adjusting any music or radio

* arguing with your passengers or other road users

* eating and drinking

* smoking

All that seems like good advice to me. I think I've seen cases of people eating in the car, doing their make up etc which have ended up in court. Smoking of course is bad for you :)

And I personally always think when I hear very loud music coming from a car "I've got a psychotic one here" and I give him (and it is generally him) as much space as I can

• 4 months later...

"5mph above a 70mph limit on a motorway will not normally result in a prosecution for speeding, 5mph above a 30mph limit in a residential area could quite easily get you a ticket"

You may not get a ticket or points but you may well get invited to choose between a fine +points and paying to go on a speed awareness course and no points

when I went on a speed awareness course much effort was made to dispel the myth that if you're only driving a few miles over the limit that no action would result .

we were all invited to share the speed we were quoted as doing when ticket ,one poor bloke had twice been ticket for doing 33mph in a 30mph zone ,in the same spot .

so you may wish to

Most of the double yellows in the Melbourne Grove area are "delayed", but some of the Dulwich ones are going ahead. If you click on this link below and download the full report PDF there's a detailed list of what's happening in all the Dulwich streets at the bottom of the report:-

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/parking-projects/road-junction-safety

FYI, the pointless Melbourne Grove speedhumps are being implemented in mid-November... my guess is that highways are going to assess what the actual impact of the speedhumps is and then decide whether to implement the double yellows along here or not.

Since the main traffic problems in Melbourne Grove are actually passing problems due to the narrowness of the road, my money is on the double yellows going in after the May council election...

Hi first mate... I believe 'civil enforcement officers' refers to the existing Traffic Wardens who are already giving out parking tickets. These are already contracted out, albeit overseen by council officers, so this new legislation will simply enable them to enforce the double yellows at junctions while they're already out patrolling in various areas.

Hi Abe... I'm genuinely curious to see what will happen after the humps are installed on Melbourne. The head of Highways' briefing (posted ages ago on another thread) stated that converting the cushions to humps will only affect the speeds by approx 1mph, so it will be interesting to see if campaigners' expectations are met.

On the other hand, two of the main sets of humps are right outside the main campaigners' homes so they may feel that they benefit... unless the vibrations shake their houses.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if anything will be done to solve the actual problems after the humps are implemented... or, whether we'll all have to start from scratch again.

• 3 months later...

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Double yellow lines started to be painted last

> week.

> I'm sorry we couldn't get a more rationale length

> of double yellow lines from the current council

> administration.

As most roads already have cars parked within 10m of the corner, some have just being painted up to the nearest car. Don't know whether they'll come back to finish them off, but some just stop and are missing the vertical line where they end (which I think makes them unenforceable).

I passed a car parked on the new double yellow lines by the Harris primary school. The pavement in Lancroft road by the school is being widened and zigzag lines are on their way. The barriers around the work extend from the corner with Whateley rd to 5 houses past the school. I would like to think that the zigzag lines will not extend that far up the road.

A fair few of the newly-painted double yellows are not finished because the bar at the end has not been painted on. I phone the number on the A4 sheet attached to lampposts and got a text (requested) reply saying that the council is aware and that they will be finished anon. In the meantime, does it mean you can park on them because they are not finished and not get fined?

Nigello Wrote:

> A fair few of the newly-painted double yellows are

> not finished because the bar at the end has not

> been painted on. I phone the number on the A4

> sheet attached to lampposts and got a text

> (requested) reply saying that the council is aware

> and that they will be finished anon. In the

> meantime, does it mean you can park on them

> because they are not finished and not get fined?

I believe it makes them unenforceable. Doesn't mean they won't issue a fine, but you would likely be able to challenge it successfully. Still best not to park there though.

Nigello Wrote:

> A fair few of the newly-painted double yellows are

> not finished because the bar at the end has not

> been painted on. I phone the number on the A4

> sheet attached to lampposts and got a text

> (requested) reply saying that the council is aware

> and that they will be finished anon. In the

> meantime, does it mean you can park on them

> because they are not finished and not get fined?

I doubt it - I remember seeing an appeal a few years back where a new drain grating had been installed which broke a yellow line and it hadn't been repainted and someone appealed a ticket; as I recall the basis of rejection was that whether a part was missing or not there was enough line there to show that there were restrictions. An appeal claiming a driver didn't think double yellows meant they couldn't park there because there wasn't a bar at the end would get short shrift, I'd imagine.