Flying long-haul with newborn

newcomer

I've flown business class twice to NZ (in the days where I had lots of airmiles to play with and only one child!), and it's great in terms of space when you're travelling with a baby. No experience of the airlines you mention, but Singapore Airlines provided a bassinet as usual in business. I was a bit stressed the first time about noise and grumpy business class types, but it wasn't a problem at all.

We had one woman who sat beside us, took one look at our son and asked to be moved... which she was. Baby Pickle then slept the entire journey, and she ended up sat beside a bloke who snored so loudly it could be heard at the opposite end of the cabin >:D<

You should! We went on a 13-hour flight with our little one when he was just under 3 months old and were lucky enough to fly business class. It was nice to have the extra space for when I was breastfeeding him and he didn't bother anyone at all.

On the way back, I was on my own with the baby and the stewardesses fed me food behind the curtains as he refused to go in the bassiet or be held by anyone. Don't think you'd get that level of service in economy!!! Also on the way back, sat next to a businessman who was very friendly. In fact, little D didn't cause any trouble but the businessman started snoring really loudly waking us up so don't you worry about bothering others.

Hi Newcomer,

I JUST happen to read the forum as I'm out in the Far East now, but felt compelled to reply to your post.

I would fly BA business class as the beds are completely flat (even the old style business class on 747s as well as the newly configured 777s). More importantly, you can see the seat next to you with the option of having a screen pulled up for privacy. You can even see through the screen as it's slightly opaque. Just ask about where the bassinet would be because I can't remember if it's in the bulkhead where you would be seated. BA do have the slightly weird seat configuration where seats are facing forwards and backwards and in the middle row it means our two face backwards but next to each other and husband and I are on the aisles facing forwards which worked out fine.

We've also flown Cathay business and whilst the service is absolutely brilliant (better than BA I dare say) the newer 777 configuration in business is such that you absolutely cannot see the seat next to you. And while this is great if you are a single traveller, it's a bit tricky with children because you cannot see them at all. The seats don't face each other and the sides when the bed is flat are very high. I know it's all in the name of privacy, but my husband equated them to being in coffins (sorry for gloomy description).

I never flew Virgin upper class with children but remember their beds reclined under the seat in front and it was a bit odd (but loved the bar in that cabin!).

The service in any business would be much better than economy and I would recommend it as it would be helpful with a new baby.

And don't worry about other people on business, you have as much right to be there as they do! (First class may be a different story ;-)).

Best of luck to you, take up the business class offer!

-C

Edited for the sake of clarity!

• 4 months later...

We're off to Canadialand on Friday. All good advice above, but just wanted to ask about meals and milk as we (royal) have stopped breastfeeding.

Are they ok about bringing on bottles of white powder? Will they provide hot water on board, i guess they will. I assume the cartons are considered illicit as they are larger than 100 ml or do they make exceptions for infant milk?

We took cartons of ready made Aptimal (and later when the kids were older the "growing up" milk) on flights with no problem. Generally they'll let you through with them, or if all else fails you can buy the cartons at Boots once you're through in departures.

Personally I wouldn't use the hot water on the plane to make up bottles - rather take bottles of mineral water to mix it and get them to warm it for you (if you go the powder route rather than ready mixed).

In all our travels to NZ we've found that they make big exceptions for baby foods in general. One trip I took my own tubs of frozen baby food with me and they were fine. We've also taken jars (although once again these are available in departures and most airlines will supply it if necessary).

Have fun!

Have heard somewhere (possibly even this thread/forum) before that you can ring the Boots in departures and pre-order milk cartons for collection so after security thus not causing probs with the fluid restriction... might be worth checking with them as might make it bit easier/less stressful.

Hi mockney

airlines will provide hot water for formula and you can add some bottled water to cool if need be. Also as pickle says you can get ready made formula at the boots in the departures lounge.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited to add that airport security have never made an exception for bringing in more than the 100mls rule for us so probably better to get it after security.

We had a close shave at the NZ customs going in, where they looked like they were going to refuse "Cat" my daughters most precious toy entry due to possible wheat in the paws. Cue iminent meltdown from exceedingly overtired 4 year old.

Something to watch though, not one I had thought of. Luckily Cat passed the xray...

Oh goodness, thankfully they've never questioned what's inside my 3.5 year old's beloved "Barney" (which used to be a dog, but is now just a bit stinky mess of brown fur) - I think the smell would put them off investigating him anyway :-$

Not sure where in Canada you are flying to, but for some strange reason I find Canadian airports generally a lot more serious and less flexible about regulations. In fact the smaller the airport, the tougher they get (boredom? :)) I've never been asked to sample EVERY jar of baby food at Heathrow, but I have in Canada (I declined, they didn't push it but when nerves are raw do we really need to fight with security?). Anyway just bear that in mind for your return. Even short haul domestic flights can get silly at security. Must be that good old fashioned Canadian insecurity.......... must......do...... better!

Also just to note, some Can. airports are dumb about buggies and will only let umbrella type strollers to the gate. They will actually hand you a giant plastic bag and watch you wrap your buggy in it while the queue gets longer and more impatient, and then you have to check it at the oversize counter, depending on how pissy the clerk is feeling that day. Then you get to carry junior around for three hours. It's a crappy way to start a long journey. I would seriously consider a Maclaren for this trip.

But Air Canada staff are generally lovely and helpful if that's who you are flying with.

Yep I also had to chuck all of my baby food and formula milk at Toronto airport. I was knackered and didn't declare it as food on the customs form- really didn't think of it as food- had a very sarky agent. So I guess only bring what you need in carry on. The car seat also went to an oversized area that no one told us about. Buggy also took a while to come. I always find Toronto airport baggage handling bad anyways.

If you are flying air canada and can get a pass from someone into the lounge it is quite nice.

Have fun.