Is anyone watching "One Born Every Minute" on C4

Abbie, her mum and boyfriend were lovely and all so supportive of each other...

However, I think the fact that they have a section every week is the reality of a real life birth centre where the theatre is rarely empty... i think that hospital has a midwifery led birth centre somewhere else that probably deals with all of the low risk lovely vaginal births and what you see at the hospital is unfortunately the harsh reality of maternity care...

There was the woman at the beginning who came in and pushed it straight out with the midwives calmly wandering in and out..

Lovely episode again. They were such a lovely family and so supportive

I'm already finding myself 'used' to the screams and moans of woman in labour. When I watched the first episode I cried just hearing the woman in pain. I felt haunted by those noises we all make... Now i'm fine with it - this has been almost therapeutic for me, personally

I thought the c-section birth was really moving and went very smoothly.

As has already been said in this post, one person's nightmare is another's ideal birth

You can get very traumatic vaginal births (mine was) and i'd MUCH rather have had what that lady went through versus my birth....

She seemed very happy with the whole thing - Was what she went through really a 'harsh reality'?

If someone had interviewed me a few weeks after the birth i would have burst into tears about the actual birth. I wasn't thinking about anythign else other than that..

I think that around 25% of births are C-sections, which is probably what is shown in the programme.

sophiesofa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another lovely episode but there seems to be an

> emergency c-section every week!

Smiler, that was one of my best bits too! Thought immediately 'why didn't my husband let me do that?!' Such a mature 17 year old. Am not ashamed to say that I blubbed watching those 3 together, thought the mum was spot on with how she supported her daughter, despite her age and that Abbie was so obviously so well supported by mum and boyfried that it gave her the confidence to know she would be a good mum - even though, as she said 'we don't even have enough money for the bus sometimes-let alone a baby!' Think that baby has a great start in life with those people around.

I loved it when Abbeys mum was saying about Abbey telling her and asking if she was disappointed in her and Mum saying how could I be? Also her boyf saying he wouldn't cry and them of course being v emotional when baby was born

He was brilliant with her, have a strong feeling that they will work out just fine long term.

Re C sections, interesting to see how they manhandle baby out quite roughly as I always imagined it being gentler that way (am sure it is gentler than being squeezed k

out the other way mind you!).

M

.. the football took priority in our house so i've only just watched it

cute episode - both men were lovely

Edited to say:

it's so well done this series. I love the little touches like that old man calmly pushing a trolley filled with gas canisters along the corridor.

Well I've just watched it all through & I think I cried more at this one than any other so far. I was especially touched by the relationship between Richard & Shelagh, and when they both cried at the end I was completely undone! Particularly after such a scary crash C section. And his lovely comment "I hope he'll call me Daddy", I just wanted to gather all three up and tell them everything would be OK forever.

And Penny was so touching too. Halfway through when she kept saying 'I can't do any more now Joy, enough now Joy' in such a sad little girl voice. I really felt she was using everything she had left to appeal to that midwife to help her, and help her she did. The midwives were so great this week too, so friendly and funny and empathetic.

Brilliant programme.

Love love loved it this week, both Penny and Shelagh and their partners - amazing. Cried buckets. The young night midwife, I tihnk she was called Michelle, was so good - lovely and funny, I would have loved to have her. I had a thought that I might want to re-train as a midwife after watching her!

She had a great attitude didn't she? Shame she had to have the crash cesarean under general anesthetic and not see her baby straight away.

Like others have said, two lovely couples.

Next weeks instalment should be very interesting. Babies who need intensive care, most of us are lucky enough not to have been through that.

Well done the production team, you've done a good job.

When they have C-sections on the programme, they don't seem to go through the lengthy consent process. This was a low-light of our experience at Kings: first they say you have to have the C-section, then they bring out a long form explaining all of the nasty stuff that can (but is very unlikely to) happen, so that you can give "informed consent". Scared the wits out of us!

Presumably it is because most of the ones on the show are "crash" C-sections where there is no time for this, or maybe they cut the dull admin bits out.

Think they must cut it smiler as suspect they legally have to do it unless it's an emergency? I had to fill out those forms before going to theatre, and that was just in case they went to C-section if forceps didn't work (didn't need c-section in the end) - I remember trying to be lucid as I went through previous experiences of general anaesthetics in between almighty contractions, was surreal.

I also loved all the cakes and the enema talk! Really loved Michelle - couldn't believe how cheerful she was even right at the end of a full night's shift. Can't wait for next week's but know it's going to be the biggest weepy so far.

Mrs Keef and I didn't like the boyfriend/husband of the younger woman. I'm sure he is a nice guy really, but both of us thought he sounded really patronising and fake doing this high pitched "you're doing really well" kind of thing. She was obviously really intelligent (and funny), and I'm surprised she didn't lamp him.

The other couple were great, and I was pleased it all went okay in the end. I don't know if this programme would ever show a sad ending, and I hope they don't, but I thought that might have been it.

Hope they stay together, and that the kid does call him daddy!

I agree Keef, the blond bloke was trying really hard and being supportive to Penny etc. but I found him sooooo wet and drab! It made my skin crawl when he was talking about rubbing her back, it somehow seemed smug and slimy, but she seemed happy.

Probably just not my type of man!

But it was good to see the men finally being shown in a good light. It made me think how hard it must be for the bloke really, feeling like a spare part. In the early ish stages of my labour, my husband did the crossword and slept but was a total trouper for when I really needed him - which was for about 12 hours.

Like the rest of you, I am absolutely loving this programme and don't want it to end. I too googled 'becoming a midwife' but then remembered I was crap at science and I'd be way too emotional.

Agreed that the midwives were brilliant and hilarious. What great attitudes. They seem to have a great team there.