How long to get a date for 2nd vaccine? *Update*

I was lucky enough to get my first dose of the vaccine on 18th of February, but have not been given a date for the 2nd vaccine. Most people i know who have had the first dose were told their second date, on the day of their first shot. I would contact my gp surgery, but the website has a big sign up saying not to ring them about vaccine dates.

My OH has just had a letter about getting the first shot, and has been told to book the second one at the same time.

Should i be trying to chase this up?

*Just to let you know, I got a message yesterday inviting me for Vaccine #2. Hurrah! Happening next week. So I was contacted 10 weeks from the initial vaccine, for the follow up jab on wk 11.

I think different centres had different policies - some booked the second at the time of the first, some booked both together, but others chose to contact their first vaccine patients when it was time for the second. If you were vaccinated in a hospital I think that last policy was more common.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think different centres had different policies -

> some booked the second at the time of the first,

> some booked both together, but others chose to

> contact their first vaccine patients when it was

> time for the second. If you were vaccinated in a

> hospital I think that last policy was more common.

Ah ok, thanks Penguin.

Thanks Kitty but that link doesn?t work. It says contact the place where you had first jab but Tessa Jowell Centre said they can?t book second jabs and text messages will be sent out. I?m Forest Hill Road and they won?t answer queries. It?s a bit of a worry. Everyone else I know had appointments for both jabs.

That is odd - everyone I knew who had a TJ jab had their second appointment booked at the time of the first jab (indeed, before the first jab was given, after the data collection part) - when I was there (Oxford AZ) 11 weeks to the day after. I am also at FHR Surgery. The stewards at TJ were being very good about ensuring the process was followed. If you have a named GP at FHR why not write to them, saying where and when your vaccination was, and that you haven't got a second one booked? If you can't get through the Cerberuses on the switchboard.

dresswaves Wrote:

> they said as I

> booked through the link provided by GP text I

> would get a similar text for my 2nd jab 10 -11

> weeks time.

Is it clear from the message whether the text or the jab will be in 10-11 weeks time?

I am in the same situation as Sian, but I am a patient at the Gardens, not FHR.

wee quinnie Wrote:

> dresswaves Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > they said as I

> > booked through the link provided by GP text I

> > would get a similar text for my 2nd jab 10 -11

> > weeks time.

>

> Is it clear from the message whether the text or

> the jab will be in 10-11 weeks time?

>

> I am in the same situation as Sian, but I am a

> patient at the Gardens, not FHR.

It was the doctor who vaccinated at Tessa Jowell who said I?d get a text from my GP for my 2nd vaccine in 10-12 weeks. Now that?s not clear if it?s the text or the vaccine but from my 1st text I was able to book the vaccine 2 days later. I?m also with The Gardens.

Had my first jab at TJ on 16 Feb and they were very clear that I'd receive a text message about booking the 2nd jab in about 11 weeks time. But to contact them if I don't. I wouldn't start worrying about it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had very good news, just had a text to say that the date for my second jab has been brought forward a week and will now be next Wednesday! Hooray!

I'm particularly delighted as I have a hospital appointment two days after the original date, and wasn't sure whether to change it, but had decided to see how I was on the day and hope that any side effects had subsided :)

Hopefully they will have well subsided nine days later!

I had my second jab at St Thomas's last week, also brought forward by a week, making it a ten week interval. I turned up a little over twenty minutes early, to find a queue of about thirty people outside the building, so joined it. They are pretty efficient now at dealing with the large throughput -- I wss told about 4,000 a day over the three separate centres on the hospital campus. I was out in just over an hour, including the 15 minute post-jab wait. The screens listing the queue members seemed to be static, so we were all called up from the large waiting area by a masked assistant calling out names, which worked pretty well. Once called, you got directed to sit ready outside your assigned vaccination room. I saw rooms numbered up to 20.

I had my second jab at St Thomas's today. I hadn't noticed from the texts that my vaccination centre was a different one to last time, but it was on the same site, so no big deal.

No queue at all outside, and only a ten minute wait when inside (plus the fifteen minute wait after, which is apparently only if you are having the Pfizer jab).

So very much quicker than my first time, and seemingly quicker than yours, ianr? The person who gave me the jab said it had been a very steep learning curve for everybody but that they were now much more organised, which indeed seemed to be the case!

In fact the worst wait was on the number 12 on the way there stuck in the traffic jam round the back of the Peckham shops, grrrrr.