Keeping on subject

sphillips

No doubt about it, this is a good Forum. There are some great posts and it?s a mix of humour, information, fun and local gossip. There?s just one thing?maybe I?m alone in feeling this way. In any case, we?ll soon find out! Threads start, then frequently it all becomes a cosy chat among ?the regulars?, who all seem to know one another quite well and then very often the thread goes off subject and the regulars are left chatting away to themselves. When this happens, those of us not ?in the know? are caught between thinking: ?Oh, for pete?s sake?? and ?Best not interrupt a cosy chat.? Some very regulars appear to post on every conceivable subject. They have every right to do so although some are more witty and entertaining (and knowledgeable) than others! But maybe we could try this: if people don?t really know the facts e.g. what?s happening to the shop being renovated on LL ? maybe it would be best to wait and see if someone actually knows what?s happening, rather than the, by now, almost tedious, ?As long as it?s not another Foxtons??. Ok, ok, no one likes them! Anyhow, a thought. Sorry if this has upset anyone, particularly the real regulars, but I think it would improve the Forum and encourage less confident people to post. Having said all that, keep up the good work and thanks again.

I've been quiet all day, I log on for 10 minutes and reply to this post within 5 minutes! I so conform to your "allegations" sir - apologies

Good post tho - and, believe it or not, as much a source of annoyance to some of us old-timers/perpertrators as it is to you (and others)

That said, my observation is that the more recent (last couple of months?) off-topic-veerage is by a newer crowd and I have no idea if they know each other or not

I have never quite understood why people are bothered who knows who - I can state categorically I did not know a single other poster on here when I first lurked but have got to know several. Does that make me "a regular" or does it make me someone who didn't care who knew who but got stuck in anyway? Or just annoying?

The Administrator has stated in recent days he is taking a more hardline approach to subject veering off topic - and I applaud that stance

Then again, I started reading this forum for local info - "what's happening in that unit?", "who is the guy who works in ...?" etc But the truth is if someone starts a subject that says:

"Does anyone know about the proposed South Circular extension running down Barry Road (and compulsory purchasing the left hand side)"?

It's either a) true or b)rubbish and that;s usually flushed out pretty quickly. So if things veer off topic thereafter so be it (it can be amusing sometimes no?)

Oh, and hello!

Hello indeed sphillips (i like the way that's pronounced). As Nero would say GPWM (Good Point Well Made).

I know the administrator is a little anxious that this forum can sometimes be seen as cosy or cliquey, and does his best to make it inclusive to all. I also like to think the regulars are a pretty welcoming bunch too.

As Sean says we didn't know each other before hand and we just sort of got stuck in. I for one just have too much time on my hands at work (my boss, of course, may think otherwise).

But I'm pretty much with you, too many "bloody claphamites" and "bloody foxtons" but if it's what people are really talking about then i guess that's going to be reflected here. Anyhoo, I'll try to curb myself where appropriate and here's hoping more irregular forumites get stuck in like you have here. Bravo!

Hi sphilips

a valid point and one that pops up every now and then. The Administrator does try and keep discussions on topic and often posts a "keep on topic" warning but there's just no stopping some people but that's the way of a conversation. The "cosy chats" are exactly why the Lounge was set up so when discussions (or threads) continue off topic they can carry on in the other room. These threads aren't split where they go off topic as it's hard for the Administrator or moderators to draw a line as to when that actually happens, especially when they go off topic and then back on, then off, on etc.

I don't think there's anyway that the Admin could feasibly police all conversations like someone chairing a meeting i.e. as soon as there's it goes off topic stepping in, or telling people off for adding nothing to a conversation as it is subjective. However don't forget that the regulars help police the site and when someone come in and says e.g. "I hate Foxtons and their minis taking up parking spaces/I want xxx shop/ED was so good and classless 1/10/100 years ago" again they tend to point them to the previous discussion on that subject thus saving us all.

At the end of the day it's meant to be a fun and useful place, if people want to watch, lurk, dip in, plunge in they can. There's nothing stopping them from joining in except themselves, like when you arrive at a party and don't know anyone you have to make an effort to meet people (but it's better when there's a good host who introduces you to strangers). Unfortunately no-one knows you're there if you lurk on a forum so if you don't make yourself known and interact no-one's going to acknowledge you. Or just start a new post, in the correct section, that's within the rules, and not in all capitals, and after you've done a search to see if anyone else has asked the same and you'll be fine.

Thanks for your comments, it's always good to get feedback, we (the people who run the forum) don't know what the users are thinking about the forum unless they tell us so it is very much appreciated.

ps I am thinking that a rule should be brought in so that when people say things like GPWM they should explain it, it's not obvious to most of us what it means.

• 1 month later...
I think the thread about teenager trouble at East Dulwich Station and Dog kennel hill should be lounged - it has become a debate on youth/behaviour generically rather than relevant to original thread subject or indeed the local issue if there is one. Consequently the issue which was serious/interesting/relevant for local parents and residents is blurred and other visitors who may have joined late in the thread may not pick up the pertinent points.