Parakeets

Alex K

The threat to indigenous birds is very much unproven. Reports such as this one have been quoted extensively:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/27/parakeets

but that just looks at activity around bird feeders. In the 'wild' there's not much evidence either that they're 'predating' other birds or that they're pushing them out from natural food sources. As has been mentioned in reference to crows and magpies, look to human activity in urban areas and changes in farming methods in the countryside for reasons why songbird populations are down. In any case, predators can't continue to predate disappearing prey...

Ive got a 404 on that link, but Im sure I could find one that counters it - you say it relates to observations around feeders, so maybe not ideal, but I get yer drift. A decent study could assist

The 'keets are up there with the extended crow family in the omnivore approach to eats- they can process just about anything. I wouldnt go along the predation path, but their different breeding cycle, flocking instinct and pure size do impact the native stock in areas where they have flourished. Sadly, unlike much of the brit stock, they are not as likely to be prey to cats as they dont do much ground time.

on an associated note/ anecdata, gardner friend witnessed grey sqrls eating a nest of new born chicks last year- hes not seen this before

anyway

And again this afternoon, their shouts of raucous joy calling all of us to the garden windows.

My partner stepped outdoors, holding up a walnut meat. One of the parakeets hopped a few branches lower to inspect the offering, and the offerer.

After a moment or two of sceptical conversation, reports sent and responses received, away they went.

keekybreeks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ive got a 404 on that link, but Im sure I could

> find one that counters it - you say it relates to

> observations around feeders, so maybe not ideal,

> but I get yer drift. A decent study could assist

Here it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/27/parakeets-force-out-native-birds

"their different breeding cycle, flocking instinct and pure size do impact the native stock in areas where they have flourished"

Any evidence?

Funnily enough, I encountered a 'pack' of them yesterday squawking away in Camberwell Old Cemetery whilst walking the dog. There was a squirrel on the rampage in what looked like one of their nests high up in a hole in a tree. I did feel quite sorry for them until I read this thread but now, knowing that they are filthy little predators, I'm taking the dog back there to hoist up into the tree to eat them all...