What's the best kind of paint to use on a front door?

mothercourage

primer, undercoat then tinish with a gloss coat. Once primed and dry, lightly sand, then apply undercoat. Again once dry ligtly sand and then apply gloss top coat for a nice smooth fimish. If its a wood finish you want choose a good quality varnish, no need for primer or undercoat, just sand well till well smooth.

Depends.

If you are going for, "I am quietly stylish and tasteful and want to signal that to other quietly stylish and tasteful people in an unostentatious manner" then you're at the sage/ Georgian duck egg/ 60%GreyBlack end of the market.

If you are going for, "I wished I lived in Kensington but I was a million short on budget" then paint it bright blue and adorn it with shiny brass "furniture". Park a set of matching bay trees out the front while you're at it.

If you are going for, "I am being bullied by the Bash Street Kids" then cover it with eggshell.

W**FS Top Tip

This is by far the best paint ever, when I was in the trade as a shop fitter we used this http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products/Alphabetical/RubbolSatura.htm as it goes on beautifully , the finish is superb & it out lasts any other brand by a long shot, it was developed in Scandinavia & they are miles ahead of everyone else in this field. If you buy the Onol express undercoat you can base coat & top coat with Rubol satura in the same day, then one more the following day.

We have it on the door at "W**F Manor" after 4 years it still looks great ( & 2 young boys )

It is not cheap

It is not available in DIY Shops

It is sold at Whites on Brockley Rise though http://www.whitestradepaints.co.uk/contactus.htm See the little Irish guy in there, he's most helpful. Available in RAL, BS 4800 and NCS colour collections.

Nuff said, now get on with it

Report back on progress

W**F

• 4 years later...

YES -

I have rental properties and I used the Sikkins paint on my last one - the doors were painted in 2006 an they still look white and clean

Also I used the same in My Personal House - the doors still look good like almost new.

But it is expensive

If you want a good paint but cheaper -

PERMAGLAZE Used a lot by the trade - Very good paint indeed. Very White Especially the Emulsion

Not found at B& Q or Home base Need to go to a trade shop..

Regards

Graham

SOUTHPORT NORTH WEST